C-7 3116
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

RonF
Top Member

867 Posts

Posted - 03/30/2015 :  09:50:13 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have a 2005, C-7 3116. Cranks won't start. I have 2 flash codes 36 and 31. I have fuel coming from the pressure regulator at the back of the head. I have NO oil pressure according to the gauge while cranking. The last time it ran the oil pressure reading was near 0 and the red engine light was on. I have pulled a line off of the oil manifold and have a trickle of oil running out while cranking. While cranking I removed the oil cap and I don't see any oil coming our of the number 6 injector.

The 2 codes are vehicle speed codes if what I have found on the net to be correct. Would they cause a no start issue and why is my oil pressure at zero?

tigger2
Advanced Member

USA
469 Posts

Posted - 03/30/2015 :  10:31:50 AM  Show Profile  Click to see tigger2's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
No the faults should not cause the no start.But a lack of low pressure oil into the high oil pressure pump to produce the needed hydraulic pressure to operate the injectors will. The oil pressure regulators are in the oil filter head and the front cover for the oil cooler. Check oil level first, and then check the regulators for being stuck or scored in the bores also check their spring tension. Do you have access to Caterpillar software it will make diagnostics much easier.
Go to Top of Page

RonF
Top Member

867 Posts

Posted - 03/30/2015 :  10:32:18 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Ok, just stuck a manual gauge in the hole where the sending unit goes and nothing. Took the gauge out and cranked the motor and just got a trickle of oil. The pan must not come off.

Yes there is oil in the engine.

US Army retired CMBT
Go to Top of Page

RonF
Top Member

867 Posts

Posted - 03/30/2015 :  10:34:27 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
No Cat software, not even a manual. SO the regulator is in the filer housing and not part of the pump?

US Army retired CMBT
Go to Top of Page

aaronwilmoth80911
Top Member

538 Posts

Posted - 03/30/2015 :  12:40:12 PM  Show Profile  Visit aaronwilmoth80911's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Would I be wrong in suggesting to pull the oil filter off and crank it to see if it has pressure to the filter? At least then you would know if you need to work from the filter back or the filter forward. Someone correct me if I'm wrong on this.
Go to Top of Page

dferrell

102 Posts

Posted - 03/30/2015 :  1:44:29 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Like Tigger said, it needs the oil pumped from the sump to the high pressure pump in order to fire the injectors. I would check the 2 bypass valves first because they are the easiest. If I remember right, it needs something like 800psi injection actuation pressure while cranking in order to start.
Go to Top of Page

aaronwilmoth80911
Top Member

538 Posts

Posted - 03/30/2015 :  6:47:29 PM  Show Profile  Visit aaronwilmoth80911's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Look at his first post. He says he has no oil pressure while cranking, and that the bus had an issue with very low oil pressure already. If this is the case, the high pressure system wouldn't seem to matter much at the moment, as the gauge inside the bus is reading the low pressure oil side. This is why I suggest pulling the filter and cranking. If he has good oil flow out of the filter, then it is between the filter housing and up towards the HUEI pump. If he does not have good oil flow from the filter, then you'd think he would be looking backwards towards the oil pan/pump/pickup.

If I'm talking out of my @$$ here, please tell me. Maybe I'm missing something, but I've seen this with International T444Es before. The worst that he'll do is make a mess with some oil by pulling the filter, and it seems like a quick way to figure out where to go next.
Go to Top of Page

RonF
Top Member

867 Posts

Posted - 03/31/2015 :  07:24:41 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
You are correct Arron. No oil pressure. No oil coming out with the filter removed. We dropped the pan and found the two bolts holding the pick up tube to the oil pump laying in the bottom of the pan. We are making a new gasket for it and in the process of putting it back together.

US Army retired CMBT
Go to Top of Page

aaronwilmoth80911
Top Member

538 Posts

Posted - 03/31/2015 :  08:00:18 AM  Show Profile  Visit aaronwilmoth80911's Homepage  Reply with Quote
At least those pans aren't a terrible thing to do. Glad you found your problem.
Go to Top of Page

RonF
Top Member

867 Posts

Posted - 03/31/2015 :  10:07:33 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
She runs just fine!!!!

US Army retired CMBT
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:

School Bus Fleet Magazine Forums © 2022 School Bus Fleet Magazine Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.08 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000