Professional Garage
 Enter Forum: Professional Garage
 Low Coolant warning on
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

wwadeson

5 Posts

Posted - 03/25/2015 :  02:15:11 AM  Show Profile  Visit wwadeson's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Hello all,
I am relatively new to this awesome forum. I have a CE bus with a 2007 MaxxForce® DT engine. It has an issue with Critical coolant level indicator on, low coolant level DTC's and evidence of coolant being pushed from the recovery/degas jug. I do not seem to have any overheating at this point. It will do this right from a cold start with a full recovery jug and the cap on. If the cap is removed the level returns to normal. Pressure appears to be building in the system, but i am unsure of how to go after finding the source. Has any one run into anything like this? I am going to inspect the EGR coolers after pressure testing the system overnight.

Thanks all
Bill

mhernandez73

124 Posts

Posted - 03/25/2015 :  04:29:20 AM  Show Profile  Visit mhernandez73's Homepage  Reply with Quote
hope this helps. if this doesn't work replace coolant resovoir. guessing the level sticks inside bottle. had a handful of buses with this issue. good luck brother...document id IK1200061 Title: Low Coolant Light with International I6 EGR and MaxxForce® DT,9 and 10

Applies To: I-6 EGR and 2007 - 2009 MaxxForce® DT,9 and 10

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The following applies to I-6 EGR and 2007 MaxxForce® DT,9 and 10

If you are experiencing low coolant faults with a DT 466 EGR and MaxxForce® DT,9 and 10 engine and the coolant level is correct, perform the following steps:

NOTE:
DuraStar vehicles built with an I6 EGR or a 2007 MaxxForce® engine they are equipped with a black surge tank there should be a restricted fitting in the EGR return line. DuraStar vehicles with a 2007 MaxxForce® engines that are equipped with a Black surge and has a white dot on the top of the tank the EGR return line fitting in the tank is restricted. DuraStar vehicles with a 2007 MaxxForce® engines that are equipped with a clear surge tank the EGR return line fitting in the tank is restricted.
1.Verify that the coolant level is in the top of the upper sight glass or above the Max line on newer tanks, when the engine is warm.

2.If the level is below the top of the upper sight glass top off the surge tank to the proper level and see if the problem has been corrected, if not proceed to step 3.

3.If the coolant level is correct, the EGR deaeration line will have to be restricted by inserting a second 1/8 inch restriction into the line. Do not replace the surge tank. The fitting should be installed within 5 inches or 120 mm of the EGR cooler fitting. On MaxxForce® DT, 9 and 10 engines install a restrictor fitting in EGR deaeration line and the A/C bracket line a foot away from the surge tank.

4.Install the following parts as shown in Figure 1:
Method 1 Preferred :
(1) 3627939C1 3/8" restricted fitting
(2) 3523434C1 3/8" Hose Clamp

5.Cut the EGR return line to the deaeration tank within 5 inches or 120 mm of the EGR cooler fitting and insert the restriction assembly. Use hose clamps to secure the hose to the fitting barbs.

6.Verify that the coolant level is above the second sight glass and that the problem has been corrected.

Figure 1 3627939C1 - 3/8" Restricted fitting
Go to Top of Page

wwadeson

5 Posts

Posted - 03/25/2015 :  06:44:07 AM  Show Profile  Visit wwadeson's Homepage  Reply with Quote
mhernandez73,
Thanks, I referenced your info and IK1200061. It already had the restrictors in both hoses going to the jug. Before I started with the IK1200061, I pulled the t-stat, filled the block to the t-stat hole and removed the drive belt. I have bubbles coming out of the hole. By that evidence I am pretty sure it is either a combustion leak or something going on with the air compressor.
Go to Top of Page

mhernandez73

124 Posts

Posted - 03/27/2015 :  04:10:34 AM  Show Profile  Visit mhernandez73's Homepage  Reply with Quote
good deal keep me updated brother. im sure we'll be seeing those problems thx!
Go to Top of Page

wwadeson

5 Posts

Posted - 04/27/2015 :  02:13:18 AM  Show Profile  Visit wwadeson's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Further elimination of components on this (EGR coolers, air compressor etc), I still see a base engine problem. Even tried to use shop air in the cyls thru the injectors, saw no issue. Pulled the cylinder head and pressure tested it was OK. The gasket showed some evidence of possible poor sealing between # 5-6 cylinders. Reassembled and tried. low coolant light not on now and the coolant is staying in the jug. Several road tests showed no problems other than an intermittent low coolant warning which a sensor fixed. I am going to ship to the district and see.

Thank you all for all the valuable input.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:

School Bus Fleet Magazine Forums © 2022 School Bus Fleet Magazine Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.11 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000