New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

dsalinas1939
Top Member

USA
1324 Posts

Posted - 02/06/2015 :  04:42:26 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
i have a 2009 ce 466dt hard start when cold i thing the glow plugs are not working but i cant find a wirnig diagram or location of relays can anyone assist. well now i got it started it sounds reallow like barly running if u it throttle there is no response but after about two minutes of idling motor straightens out throttle reponse is good and it runs great you can shut it off and it fires right up but it happens every morning when its cold

Edited by - dsalinas1939 on 02/06/2015 05:08:04 AM

Fastback
Top Member

1500 Posts

Posted - 02/06/2015 :  07:44:54 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
No glow plugs on a DT. DT engine uses an intake manifold grid heater, look for large wires connecting to terminals near the center of intake manifold, follow them to relay located farther back on the engine.

Why yes, the ORIGinal CHARGER is a Fastback
Go to Top of Page

dsalinas1939
Top Member

USA
1324 Posts

Posted - 02/06/2015 :  09:34:26 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
ok thanks i found them question i now how glow plugs work how does an intake grid heater work
Go to Top of Page

dsalinas1939
Top Member

USA
1324 Posts

Posted - 02/06/2015 :  10:26:19 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
i have no power going to heat when i turn key on i have power to the to relays but nothing coming out with key on
Go to Top of Page

slippert
Top Member

USA
630 Posts

Posted - 02/06/2015 :  10:50:53 AM  Show Profile  Click to see slippert's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
The control wires for relays should be coming from Engine ECM.. Battery voltage on one and Ground on other.... if you have Service Maxx you can turn on grid heater with software to test out wiring and heaters....other wise if your in your shop and temperature is too warm you may not get ECM to run grid heater function..

I made up a test harness that plugs in to relays, so I can tell fairly quick if heaters work by connecting to a battery source with a push button to see if heaters get warm or not and if relays work when I push button...other wise there is about five to eight pages of testing IH recomends to check those circuits

IF your connected to IC oncommand website... you should be able to get info on testing the grid heater function, out of service manual if you want..

07 DT engine diagnostics manual #2581(has about 4 zeros in front of that number when it comes up on list) in manual find "Engine and Vehicle faetures".....scroll down to "Inlet Air Heater" section....when that page opens on my computer it has a highlighted "IAH system" click on that should give you all info you need or more than you do,

Edited by - slippert on 02/06/2015 11:12:17 AM
Go to Top of Page

dsalinas1939
Top Member

USA
1324 Posts

Posted - 02/06/2015 :  11:07:41 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
ok thanks for infor i am going to make up a test harness i have service maxx but subscription ran out and have to wait for powers that be to renew it
Go to Top of Page

dsalinas1939
Top Member

USA
1324 Posts

Posted - 02/06/2015 :  12:40:37 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
i tested them and they didnt work at first i took the power bar thats sends battery power to them off cleaned it up and connection where wire goes and they are workin now will see monday morning if its good thanks for info
Go to Top of Page

bfaulkner

168 Posts

Posted - 02/06/2015 :  1:18:19 PM  Show Profile  Visit bfaulkner's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Im not sure about an 09, but on my 05's there is a flat bar fuse the comes off the starter that feeds the power to the intake relays. i find that fuse is often an issue of voltage drop.
Go to Top of Page

dsalinas1939
Top Member

USA
1324 Posts

Posted - 02/07/2015 :  2:01:29 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
where is that flat bar fuse located?
Go to Top of Page

bfaulkner

168 Posts

Posted - 02/11/2015 :  10:49:05 AM  Show Profile  Visit bfaulkner's Homepage  Reply with Quote
It is on the hot stud of the starter. it is about 2 inches long. one end is on the starter stud and the other has a stud for the harness. the harness then runs up the side of the engine to the intake relays.
Go to Top of Page

slippert
Top Member

USA
630 Posts

Posted - 02/11/2015 :  12:31:29 PM  Show Profile  Click to see slippert's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by bfaulkner

It is on the hot stud of the starter. it is about 2 inches long. one end is on the starter stud and the other has a stud for the harness. the harness then runs up the side of the engine to the intake relays.

I believe the only ones that have the fuse and flat bar you are talking about were the early 05's that didn't come from factory with grid heaters...I have 2 buses here that grid heat was added on at dealer and the have same setup your talking about... all other newer IC buses I have, main power feed for grid heaters hook directly to positive starter post...

Edited by - slippert on 02/11/2015 12:32:41 PM
Go to Top of Page

dsalinas1939
Top Member

USA
1324 Posts

Posted - 02/12/2015 :  09:38:32 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
mine are that what right to started i took the flate bar off and cleaned it up and its been starting right up in morning now tomarrow is gonna be a real cold day so will see
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:

School Bus Fleet Magazine Forums © 2022 School Bus Fleet Magazine Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.11 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000