New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

misterbill
Advanced Member

United States
306 Posts

Posted - 02/05/2015 :  08:13:45 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I think that I hit my clearance light with a broom back in November, a mistake, I should have told them to fix it. I have been writing it up for over a month now. They checked it once, and wrote 'working' on the DVIR. It works when I do my pretrip, usually goes off by the time I get to my charter location. I worry about what people think of me, I do not like looking like some moron who doesn't bother pre tripping his bus(I realize this is not a good trait on my part).

I would like to look into it, I am not working as a bus mechanic(I do know enough to pass the ACE exam). What I would like to know is what steps you would take to diagnose a clearance light that works as often as it doesn't work.

I like this- di'ag.nose' Scientific determination; critical scrutiny or its resulting judgement.

Fastback
Top Member

1500 Posts

Posted - 02/05/2015 :  08:58:35 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Some might just break it good so it never works.

Why yes, the ORIGinal CHARGER is a Fastback
Go to Top of Page

second.flood
Top Member

USA
640 Posts

Posted - 02/05/2015 :  09:03:50 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Write it up as an intermittent issue.

Fastback's method is pretty much foolproof though :)
Go to Top of Page

Thomasbus24
Administrator

USA
4544 Posts

Posted - 02/06/2015 :  04:30:20 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Those are cheaply made, low cost items. If the bus owner won't replace the light, I'll send you one to give them.

**I have a mechanic here who wastes more time trying to fix junk than anybody I know. Once you figure in wages/benefits, throw the dam* light in the trash and put a new one on the bus!
Go to Top of Page

misterbill
Advanced Member

United States
306 Posts

Posted - 02/06/2015 :  05:31:11 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I thought this was a diagnostic issue. Looks like they just plug in-guessing it cannot be a ground, hot lead, or a light socket issue. So why don't they fix it?

Thanks for the advise. Maybe I'll hit it a little too hard with the broom next time it is out! Throw out the test light and fix it. HAHAHAHAHA!

High School Friend-"Hey! How are you! Well, I guess you can't be doing too well, you're driving a school bus."
Go to Top of Page

bfaulkner

168 Posts

Posted - 02/06/2015 :  1:22:34 PM  Show Profile  Visit bfaulkner's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Depending on the location and style its possible it could be a corroding ground. But most likely it is just a bad light. I agree with the broom method. That's how my drivers handle things.
Go to Top of Page

Thomasbus24
Administrator

USA
4544 Posts

Posted - 02/07/2015 :  10:28:09 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Without knowing which light it is, I will say that I've seen a lot of Chinese knock-off lights around lately, and the socked that holds the bulb warps causing intermittent operation.
Go to Top of Page

misterbill
Advanced Member

United States
306 Posts

Posted - 02/08/2015 :  05:53:23 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I called my boss who talked to his boss, the owner went out and checked it and it wasn't working. He screamed at the mechanic. The mechanic went and checked it and it was-so he wrote working again. We had a meeting and somehow came to an agreement that he would change the light. I read on a Spanish website something in Spanish that I could actually understand-just because you cannot see the moon it does not mean that it is not there.

High School Friend-"Hey! How are you! Well, I guess you can't be doing too well, you're driving a school bus."
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:

School Bus Fleet Magazine Forums © 2022 School Bus Fleet Magazine Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.08 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000