Arizona buses
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Been Deleted

USA
28 Posts

Posted - 01/30/2015 :  05:48:12 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Question for anyone in Arizona. DPS couldn't inspect my early 90's buses because they're waiting for a decision on scissor type service doors. Does anybody know what this is about?

Thomasbus24
Administrator

USA
4545 Posts

Posted - 01/30/2015 :  07:53:08 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
They've been fine for 20 years and now they are a problem? That's a good one.
Go to Top of Page

Been Deleted

USA
28 Posts

Posted - 02/05/2015 :  04:17:47 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I got an answer. DPS is going to red tag all the buses with inward opening doors. To get re certified the buses need to be converted to have outward opening doors.
Go to Top of Page

1983WardFord
Top Member

USA
1395 Posts

Posted - 02/05/2015 :  09:57:21 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Wow, and I thought Ohio was a joke...

Due to the current economic condition, the light at the end of the tunnel has been turned off until further notice.
Go to Top of Page

C2FAN

United States
114 Posts

Posted - 02/05/2015 :  1:22:11 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Arizona state minimum standards are written in a way that buses with non outward opening doors, or "jack knife" doors do not meet minimum standards. There was a period in which these doors where grand father in bus that has now expired. Since AZ DPS has now decided to start enforcing the rule, I think districts are going to try and petition the state to get the exemption period extended because there are hundreds of buses running in AZ with these doors.

Section 27 -
"The service door shall open towards the exterior of the school bus. A Type A school bus is exempt from this provision if the service door is provided by the school bus chassis manufacturer."

Edited by - C2FAN on 02/05/2015 1:43:06 PM
Go to Top of Page

Fastback
Top Member

1500 Posts

Posted - 02/05/2015 :  2:01:55 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by C2FAN

Arizona state minimum standards are written in a way that buses with non outward opening doors, or "jack knife" doors do not meet minimum standards. There was a period in which these doors where grand father in bus that has now expired. Since AZ DPS has now decided to start enforcing the rule, I think districts are going to try and petition the state to get the exemption period extended because there are hundreds of buses running in AZ with these doors.

Up here in the rust belt there would not likely be a need to extend such an exemption period.

Why yes, the ORIGinal CHARGER is a Fastback
Go to Top of Page

Thomasbus24
Administrator

USA
4545 Posts

Posted - 02/06/2015 :  04:26:52 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Was there a specified date when that rule went into effect, or was it always the rule and it was ignored?

Here in Ohio, land of rules that nobody understands, they specified "any bus bid after 9/1/1998..." couldn't have jacknife doors (among many other changes).
Go to Top of Page

C2FAN

United States
114 Posts

Posted - 02/06/2015 :  06:59:19 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yeah, I think the date was sometime in 1996, making any bus built before 1996 with those doors non-compliant here in AZ. There are still a ton of those buses on the road, we don't have that problematic rust issue to deal with!
Go to Top of Page

Thomasbus24
Administrator

USA
4545 Posts

Posted - 02/06/2015 :  07:39:41 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Buses BEFORE that date? Man that's not right....old stuff is generally grandfathered in.
Go to Top of Page

Been Deleted

USA
28 Posts

Posted - 02/11/2015 :  06:17:58 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

Section 27 -
"The service door shall open towards the exterior of the school bus. A Type A school bus is exempt from this provision if the service door is provided by the school bus chassis manufacturer."

C2FAN,or any one that knows. I'm having trouble getting info from DPS. Do you know anything about DPS not certifying buses older than 1996 even if you re-fit the doors to open outwards?

Edited by - Been Deleted on 02/11/2015 06:22:48 AM
Go to Top of Page

Fastback
Top Member

1500 Posts

Posted - 02/11/2015 :  08:29:37 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

Yeah, I think the date was sometime in 1996, making any bus built before 1996 with those doors non-compliant here in AZ. There are still a ton of those buses on the road, we don't have that problematic rust issue to deal with!

"A ton of those buses"? Thats not very many.

Why yes, the ORIGinal CHARGER is a Fastback
Go to Top of Page

C2FAN

United States
114 Posts

Posted - 02/11/2015 :  08:31:11 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote

I would just relax a little bit, there will be more information coming out in the next week or so giving districts clear direction on this issue. To be honest, I have spoken with several people over the last week and I am getting a different story from each of them. Its craziness. Either the school bus council or DPS should be coming out with some information for districts shortly clarifying the situation. This fiasco is just another reason why Arizona needs a state transportation director.

Edited by - C2FAN on 02/11/2015 08:31:32 AM
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:

School Bus Fleet Magazine Forums © 2022 School Bus Fleet Magazine Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.11 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000