New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

bwest
Administrator

United States
3820 Posts

Posted - 01/27/2015 :  07:13:11 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thought the you guys would enjoy this. 20 degrees doesn't sound very cold to me but I guess they are having diesel trouble at that temp. I have 15 year old buses with Cats that start down into the single digits, just saying. lol

http://www.fairfaxtimes.com/article/20150122/NEWS/150129670&template=fairfaxTimes

Thomasbus24
Administrator

USA
4544 Posts

Posted - 01/27/2015 :  09:22:17 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It's funny what a bus will "get used to". Stuff around here except a couple miserable old CAT engines will start if the wind is howling -20 without being plugged in. I'm not saying they are happy, but they will start.

Those buses must be "used" to warm nights!
Go to Top of Page

bwest
Administrator

United States
3820 Posts

Posted - 01/27/2015 :  09:58:56 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Thomasbus24

It's funny what a bus will "get used to". Stuff around here except a couple miserable old CAT engines will start if the wind is howling -20 without being plugged in. I'm not saying they are happy, but they will start.

Those buses must be "used" to warm nights!

LOL, I never thought about it that way but I think you're right.

Bryan
Go to Top of Page

Thomasbus24
Administrator

USA
4544 Posts

Posted - 01/27/2015 :  12:01:31 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It's true. Countless times I've seen a bus that has had the same driver for 8-10 years and then suddenly someone else gets it and it's nothing but trouble.

One that's always been plugged in whenever it's 60 and then never wants to start when it's cold unless it's plugged in.

Or my personal favorite...every bus here that a certain former driver had...they had never been plugged in a night in their lives...and now will start easily in -20 temps!

I don't know HOW a machine "gets used" to something, but they do.
Go to Top of Page

bwest
Administrator

United States
3820 Posts

Posted - 01/27/2015 :  1:52:26 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Neither do I but I have seen crazier stuff. lol This would be a good topic over coffee with a bunch of guys from this forum. Alas, that will probably never happen. That is unless we could all get together at a NAPT meeting or something. Hummmm.......

Bryan
Go to Top of Page

Bassman
Top Member

USA
558 Posts

Posted - 01/28/2015 :  03:05:11 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
We had such a run of bitter cold last year here and with buses not plugged in, it can be difficult. This year, we amp tested all of our VT365 glow plugs/harnesses, the grid heaters on all the older DT's and the intake heaters on the new MaxxForce DT's. Repairs were necessary on some of them. Generally, so far so good, but when we have an issue, it has been that dump plastic connection on the relay on the intake heater on the 07 emissions Maxxforce DT. Next week should really be a test.
Go to Top of Page

bwest
Administrator

United States
3820 Posts

Posted - 01/28/2015 :  05:23:10 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Bassman

We had such a run of bitter cold last year here and with buses not plugged in, it can be difficult. This year, we amp tested all of our VT365 glow plugs/harnesses, the grid heaters on all the older DT's and the intake heaters on the new MaxxForce DT's. Repairs were necessary on some of them. Generally, so far so good, but when we have an issue, it has been that dump plastic connection on the relay on the intake heater on the 07 emissions Maxxforce DT. Next week should really be a test.

How far are you from Fairfax? Did you get any of the snow that the NY area got?

Bryan
Go to Top of Page

second.flood
Top Member

USA
640 Posts

Posted - 01/28/2015 :  12:45:53 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Be a better conversation over beers!

quote:
Originally posted by bwest

Neither do I but I have seen crazier stuff. lol This would be a good topic over coffee with a bunch of guys from this forum. Alas, that will probably never happen. That is unless we could all get together at a NAPT meeting or something. Hummmm.......

Go to Top of Page

Bassman
Top Member

USA
558 Posts

Posted - 01/29/2015 :  03:29:20 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
We are about 2 hours north of Fairfax. Snow missed us this time!
Go to Top of Page

bwest
Administrator

United States
3820 Posts

Posted - 01/29/2015 :  07:29:28 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
That's good but I guess you're used to all that snow though. We have had hardly any snow here this year. We normally don't get over about 4 or 6 inches at a time on a normal year and never have over 2 or 3 of those per winter. Last year was worse than normal and this year is better for some reason.

Bryan
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:

School Bus Fleet Magazine Forums © 2022 School Bus Fleet Magazine Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.08 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000