Enter Forum: Professional Garage
 C7 CAT fuel lift pump
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

knuckleheadrider

22 Posts

Posted - 01/22/2015 :  1:35:54 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Anyone on here have any CAT C7's in a Blue Bird A3RE?? (I don't think it matters what body). I have a '05 that lost power so bad that it couldn't pull itself up a small incline. I had it towed back to the shop to check into it. I found that there was hardly any fuel getting to the fuel filter head. So I'm thinking that the lift (transfer) pump has gone bad. Has anyone had one go bad on a C7??? If so, where is it located?? Is it mounted on the back of the injection pump, or is it mounted remotely??? Thanks for any and all input!! Timm .......

Edited by - knuckleheadrider on 01/22/2015 1:36:30 PM

bwest
Administrator

United States
3820 Posts

Posted - 01/22/2015 :  2:40:36 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
http://ww2.justanswer.com/uploads/yellowman99/2010-07-13_180229_HEUI_PUMP_HEP.jpg
This should be a link to a picture. #3 should be the lift pump. I'm not entirely sure that it is pointing at the right part but I'm sure it's close. lol I've never had trouble with the lift pump on my C7s so I've never had one off.

Bryan
Go to Top of Page

knuckleheadrider

22 Posts

Posted - 01/22/2015 :  2:44:32 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by bwest

http://ww2.justanswer.com/uploads/yellowman99/2010-07-13_180229_HEUI_PUMP_HEP.jpg
This should be a link to a picture. #3 should be the lift pump. I'm not entirely sure that it is pointing at the right part but I'm sure it's close. lol I've never had trouble with the lift pump on my C7s so I've never had one off.

Thanks Brian ... thats what I was thinking. Are they rebuildable, Or do I need to get an exchange unit?? Thanks, Timm ........

Turning wrenches on Big Yellow for 42 years .....
Go to Top of Page

aaronwilmoth80911
Top Member

538 Posts

Posted - 01/23/2015 :  11:38:41 AM  Show Profile  Visit aaronwilmoth80911's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Get a new pump. It will come with instructions and there is a certain way that you have to do it, otherwise you will make a mess of your HEUI pump and have to get a new one. HEUI pump has to come off as there is not enough room to do it while still attached. Do you have the HEUI oil line removal tool?
Go to Top of Page

RonF
Top Member

867 Posts

Posted - 01/23/2015 :  12:19:30 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
You can also check all of your fuel lines and filter housing for trash in the lines. If you have the spin on water separator look for the anti-drain back valve in it. Ours looked like a toilet flapper and the rubber valve was missing. The bus wouldn't pull it's own weight. I thought it was the HEUI pump too, $1200 later and I still had the problem.

US Army retired CMBT
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:

School Bus Fleet Magazine Forums © 2022 School Bus Fleet Magazine Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.07 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000