Professional Garage
 Enter Forum: Professional Garage
 WIper Blades and Freezing
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

bfaulkner

168 Posts

Posted - 01/05/2015 :  1:47:33 PM  Show Profile  Visit bfaulkner's Homepage  Reply with Quote
It Finally Froze here in Michigan and my Drivers are complaining again. Every year its the same thing with blades freezing and doing a poor job.

We run the rubber covered winter blades from Anco. We have the drivers run the Defroster on low, Fans running and pointed towards the windshield, and have the drivers window opened about 2 inches in the front. it helps but its not perfect.

What do you do or have your drivers do to prevent the blades and arms from freezing and making poor contact?

scoutmom2

17 Posts

Posted - 01/06/2015 :  09:52:08 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
My wiper blades froze yesterday, but were ok this am. Yesterday am was -4, today was 3. Bus warmed up both days. I had to pry the wipers loose from the windshield with my snow brush, even though my bus has heated wiper blades. I ran the defrost fan with the heated wipers and it took a good hour before the whole blade would make contact.
Good luck and don't be like the driver at my work who was trying to get her wiper blade loose and took off not only the blade, but the arm.
Go to Top of Page

earl1412

101 Posts

Posted - 01/10/2015 :  07:12:59 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Have had similar problems, gave the drivers cans of deicer to help along with directing the fans TOWARDS the glass, seems they think the fans are for cooling themselves! Had a driver take the cleaning broom to the blades and shattered the windshield! The previous mechanic decided to cut the wires for the heated blades, and just told them to deal with it. (I'm wondering if it's worth fixing?)
As for the arm tension, I've seen tension enhancers being peddled from some vendors.
Go to Top of Page

1983ChevroletWayne

Canada
173 Posts

Posted - 01/10/2015 :  4:37:03 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Try some of those "flexible" u-shaped wipers, and use rain-x de-icer washer fluid (yellow) in the washer tank. I run these on my 2013 IC here in Canada, and they work great when combined. The washer fluid gives me a streak free view plus it eats the frost and ice. The flexible wipers seem to sweep the snow better and hug the windsheld better. Sure helped us out anyway. I think the flexble wipers our depot started buying were the bosch "icon", but I went to wal-mart and picked up my own Rain-x flexible blades.

http://www.carid.com/images/rain-x/wiper-blade/rain-x-latitude-wiper-blade-2.jpg

Formerly "83ChevroletWayne"

Pic courtesy of: "schoolbusdriver.org"
Go to Top of Page

bfaulkner

168 Posts

Posted - 01/12/2015 :  11:00:34 AM  Show Profile  Visit bfaulkner's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Our Drivers are good about not breaking arms or glass while freeing frozen blades. Its mostly while driving that they complain about the freezing and loss of vision.

We run a winter blend washer fluid from Napa the works great at clearing the glass on the cars and trucks but is just okay on the buses. Ill have to Look into rain-x fluid. As for the u-shaped blades we tried a few of them from Anco on a sample of buses but they didn't want to make contact in the center, even out 2013's. I wish we had heated blades, any idea if International sells retrofit kits?

Thanks for the Reply's.

Edited by - bfaulkner on 01/13/2015 07:56:18 AM
Go to Top of Page

bfaulkner

168 Posts

Posted - 02/03/2015 :  10:25:12 AM  Show Profile  Visit bfaulkner's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Just an update. we have tried the rain-x washer fluid for a few troublesome drivers and have had no complaints. I do recommend it over the regular we were getting from NAPA.
Go to Top of Page

bwest
Administrator

United States
3820 Posts

Posted - 02/03/2015 :  10:38:57 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
We get some de-icer with the rainx stuff in it that isn't Rain X brand. I think it is probably the same stuff with a different package but it works, I can't remember a brand but I get it from our local farm store called Rural King. I generally buy what's on sale between it and RainX so I have rainx on the shelf now and don't have the other on hand to see a name.

Bryan
Go to Top of Page

bluebirdvision
Top Member

USA
1081 Posts

Posted - 02/03/2015 :  1:44:54 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I would suggest staying away from Anco wiper blades, never had any luck with them at my last job. Try some AC-Delco all weather blades, have them on my truck, and some of the buses I drive have them, they work great.

Facebook Page: Blue Bird Corporation Fans
https://www.facebook.com/home.php?sk=group_212311114614&ap=1

Go to Top of Page

dwight

USA
58 Posts

Posted - 02/03/2015 :  9:54:58 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Many years ago I found the best winter combination was the rubber envelope covered conventional wiper (Winter Blades) and I used a small sponge to apply liquid silicone on the envelope only.

Now I prefer the flexible single beam wiper and use a small sponge to apply Meguiar's Vinyl & Rubber liquid to the flexible beam and the sides of the wiping blade and wipe the bottom edge of the blade with a clean cloth. For operating in colder northern climate, a -35 degree windshield washer fluid will remove any smearing that might be caused by the Meguiar's liquid.

"The Good Old Days"
When driving in falling snow conditions, it was usually best to operate with a cold windshield as was possible with Superior School Bus Bodies with the slanted windshield and slanted drivers side window partially open and the optional slanted outside glass vent wing turned in to move air across the windshields. I modified the entire left front heaters/defroster to operate only on fresh outside air rather than use partial recirculated moist air from inside the bus to eliminate windshield fogging. On modern school buses with the downward tapered hood it would be possible for Thomas to easily apply the outside mounted glass wing idea at the left front drivers sliding window. This idea also draws moist stale air out of the school bus interior. Another advantage is a cooler drivers area in hot summer temperatures. ''

20 SCHOOL BUS FLEET OWNER/OPERATOR (Retired)

Edited by - dwight on 02/03/2015 10:07:41 PM
Go to Top of Page

earl1412

101 Posts

Posted - 02/11/2015 :  1:48:22 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by bfaulkner

It Finally Froze here in Michigan and my Drivers are complaining again. Every year its the same thing with blades freezing and doing a poor job.

We run the rubber covered winter blades from Anco. We have the drivers run the Defroster on low, Fans running and pointed towards the windshield, and have the drivers window opened about 2 inches in the front. it helps but its not perfect.

What do you do or have your drivers do to prevent the blades and arms from freezing and making poor contact?

Well, I just was able to talk my boss into trying out a product from FrostFighter.com. Their product adheres to the inside of the windshield and heats the glass in the area of the parked wipers to keep the ice at bay. The units are about $70.00 to $80.00 depending on single or split windshields.
In talking with the local street department mechanic, he says the system (his is factory), works very well to keep buildup of ice off window, helps keep most of the ice off wipers.
He stated that International truck has an option for this from the factory.
When the product gets here, and I have time to install it, I'll let you know what happens.
I am just starting to use "beam" style wiper blades to eliminate the mechanical binding that happens with the standard blades.

Go to Top of Page

slippert
Top Member

USA
630 Posts

Posted - 02/13/2015 :  04:40:12 AM  Show Profile  Click to see slippert's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by earl1412

quote:
Originally posted by bfaulkner

Well, I just was able to talk my boss into trying out a product from FrostFighter.com. Their product adheres to the inside of the windshield and heats the glass in the area of the parked wipers to keep the ice at bay. The units are about $70.00 to $80.00 depending on single or split windshields.
In talking with the local street department mechanic, he says the system (his is factory), works very well to keep buildup of ice off window, helps keep most of the ice off wipers.
He stated that International truck has an option for this from the factory.
When the product gets here, and I have time to install it, I'll let you know what happens.
I am just starting to use "beam" style wiper blades to eliminate the mechanical binding that happens with the standard blades.

Those Frostfighter units look interesting!! I hear same complaints about freezing wipers and ice on windshield in winter operation... The only concern I can think of is ... if windshield gets cracked or broken and needs replaced, are they reusable? or would just have to spend the cash again to get new one? My buses take a fair share or stones/ road debris whether on rural roads or highway, and not uncommon to have to replace a few windshields a year, sometimes multiple on same bus depending on route it has... could get costly if those units are a one time use... I assume you could buy stick on heater by itself? and if so maybe not that costly? will be good questions to ask when ordering..

Edited by - slippert on 02/13/2015 04:44:07 AM
Go to Top of Page

beserkur

12 Posts

Posted - 02/17/2015 :  5:14:36 PM  Show Profile  Visit beserkur's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Well here in Montreal,Canada we use the u shaped blades along with the arm tensioner springs and it works great.
We use regular washer fluid with no issues.
Go to Top of Page

earl1412

101 Posts

Posted - 03/03/2015 :  1:20:48 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote

Those Frostfighter units look interesting!! I hear same complaints about freezing wipers and ice on windshield in winter operation... The only concern I can think of is ... if windshield gets cracked or broken and needs replaced, are they reusable? or would just have to spend the cash again to get new one? My buses take a fair share or stones/ road debris whether on rural roads or highway, and not uncommon to have to replace a few windshields a year, sometimes multiple on same bus depending on route it has... could get costly if those units are a one time use... I assume you could buy stick on heater by itself? and if so maybe not that costly? will be good questions to ask when ordering..
[/quote]

Well, the installation went OK, and the units heat the glass enough to melt the ice/snow buildup at the hood/windshield area to keep the blades from packing/hitting the ice. The blades themselves still ice up but the ice doesn't seem to adhere to the blades as tightly as before. I am going to try coating the blades (one piece 'beam' style)with a product called Fluid Film to see if the ice can be "flicked off" by using the high position of the wiper motor.
I'm still thinking of putting on a heat tape from a company called MC Products that I had used on plastic pressure lines for firetruck gauges in my past life.
As for the replacement glass problem, the company will sell you replacement grids if you previously purchased the entire kit. The grids themselves are attached firmly to the existing glass.
Hope this answers some of the issues written here.
earl
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:

School Bus Fleet Magazine Forums © 2022 School Bus Fleet Magazine Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.08 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000