Enter Forum: Professional Garage
 04 int 3800 no speedo
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

namao

Canada
89 Posts

Posted - 12/29/2014 :  10:42:21 AM  Show Profile  Visit namao's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I am working on a 2004 3800 int school bus with a 2000 Allison automatic. I am trying to figure out how it is wired so I can locate the issue. I have no speedo. I have a code 141 in the ecm which indicates a open or shorted input on the vss lines and no speed indicated at the ecm pid.. According to international the two inputs are pin 39/40 on the ecm from the output speed sensor, then the ecm relays info to the cluster [volts, oil pressure, rpm and speed]. If you read the flow chart it says the sensor is on the right lower side of trany , on this 2000 Allison I see only the three on top. So I hooked up with my Allison software and there is no codes and all three sensors [input, turbine and output] register properly. Know looking at the Allison wiring diagram off the software it shows the tcm sending out a speedo signal. So I am not sure does the ecm get its vss input, off the tcm or is the tcm and ecm spliced together to the rear sensor or is there actually another sensor[ I do not think so not on the 2000 Allison model]. I am thinking I have a bad wire but would like some idea how its wired first before I get into it. Any input would be appreciated.

Fastback
Top Member

1500 Posts

Posted - 12/29/2014 :  11:57:58 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Is it a CE or an FE bus? Oops I see you said it was a 3800? My fuzzy old brain does not recall them making 3800s in 2004?

Why yes, the ORIGinal CHARGER is a Fastback

Edited by - Fastback on 12/29/2014 12:00:04 PM
Go to Top of Page

namao

Canada
89 Posts

Posted - 12/29/2014 :  12:33:17 PM  Show Profile  Visit namao's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I guess I should clarify its a blue bird bus body with a 3800 chassis, sorry should of added that.
Go to Top of Page

namao

Canada
89 Posts

Posted - 12/30/2014 :  08:05:10 AM  Show Profile  Visit namao's Homepage  Reply with Quote
It is fixed, found a damaged wire above trany. Basically I started checking wiring underneath and the speedo started to work. I then found pins 39 and 40 on ecm and hooked up my vantage scope and had a pattern which changed with speed. Then I got under with some one watching scope and could actually narrow it down to above trany. removed floor plate and found wire broken in casing near connector for engine harness to trany harness. I believe the output speedo signal is from the tcm, it sends the signal directly to the ecm [the connector on trany was a two wire connector with one brown wire on the trany side sending signal], then the ecm sends the signal to the cluster along with rpm, oil pressure and voltage. thanks for taking the time to help, Roger.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:

School Bus Fleet Magazine Forums © 2022 School Bus Fleet Magazine Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.16 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000