Professional Garage
 Enter Forum: Professional Garage
 Switch light bulbs
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

eshover

146 Posts

Posted - 10/20/2014 :  2:02:57 PM  Show Profile  Visit eshover's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Does anyone have a good way to get the small bulbs out the the All American heater switches? I tried gas line hose but doesn't work very well.

Also in an unrelated item I don't have any illumination around the defroster/front RH heater switches. This says on a label it is 120V. Not sure where to go on this. All of the other switch lights work.
ED

dferrell

102 Posts

Posted - 10/20/2014 :  3:07:28 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I bought 2 small pairs of needle nose pliers - 1 straight and 1 bent 45deg. With the pliers open, I dipped the ends of each in plasti-dip. After a couple of coats they are nice & rubbery/grippy & work great for pulling those little bulbs out.
Go to Top of Page

aaronwilmoth80911
Top Member

538 Posts

Posted - 10/21/2014 :  07:19:40 AM  Show Profile  Visit aaronwilmoth80911's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I've used electrical tape on needle nose pliers, but I like dferrells idea better. Any time that I've broken one, I just pull it out by the filament, or use a pick to dig it out. Pain in the butt, but it's a lot better than replacing a whole switch.
Go to Top of Page

eshover

146 Posts

Posted - 10/22/2014 :  07:13:50 AM  Show Profile  Visit eshover's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Thanks for the info. I also talked to another mechanic and he took a small piece of emery cloth and put it around the bulb to grip it with needle nose pliers.
Go to Top of Page

Ron Douglas

13 Posts

Posted - 10/23/2014 :  04:40:53 AM  Show Profile  Visit Ron Douglas's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Put masking tape on the bulb then use needle nose pliers.This works for me.
Go to Top of Page

eshover

146 Posts

Posted - 10/24/2014 :  09:30:30 AM  Show Profile  Visit eshover's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I used the emery cloth method and it worked well. I found a pair of angle nose needle nose pliers and dipped them in liquid electrical tape. I will see how that works next time. Ed
Go to Top of Page

Cal Mc
Advanced Member

303 Posts

Posted - 10/24/2014 :  11:20:02 AM  Show Profile  Visit Cal Mc's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Vacuum pump and a small hose
Go to Top of Page

partsman_ba
Administrator

United States
377 Posts

Posted - 10/27/2014 :  11:38:36 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
On a side note, if you are still purchasing the bulbs from your BB dealer, I've found the best match in a regular bulb is a 17037. We buy them by the case from our NAPA store. 37's are just a little too big.

"Growing old is mandatory. Growing up is optional."
Go to Top of Page

Thomasbus24
Administrator

USA
4544 Posts

Posted - 10/27/2014 :  12:16:01 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Might want to compare prices. I get them for $0.68 each at dealer, NAPA wants $0.99. I buy 100 at a time, which is sad.

Sidebar: if you need to replace that expensive piece of junk panel where the twisty knobs for the defrost are, check out TAC. $65 vs $112 from dealer.
Go to Top of Page

partsman_ba
Administrator

United States
377 Posts

Posted - 10/27/2014 :  12:37:50 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
My NAPA has me set at $0.69, and keeps them in stock so I'm happy. I use the 17037's because, even though the catalogs show them to be the same diameter as the 37's or 73's, they actually measure just enough smaller to make them easier to install.

"Growing old is mandatory. Growing up is optional."
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:

School Bus Fleet Magazine Forums © 2022 School Bus Fleet Magazine Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.1 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000