School Bus Fleet Magazine Forums
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Safety Issues and Drivers' Concerns
 Enter Forum: Safety Issues and Drivers' Concerns
 ********LEFT leg amputee - still driver worthy????
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Iceman

5 Posts

Posted - 10/18/2014 :  12:00:30 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote

Long story short, as a bus driver with an infection in my left leg caused by Type 2 diabetes, I now run the risk of possibly losing my left leg from the knee down...and thus possibly losing my livlihood as well

I'm an Illinois school bus driver and would like to know if by losing the LEFT leg (which doesn't play any part in performing my duties properly), would I be forced to relinguish my position? And would that pertain to driving recreational busses as well?

I'd be interested in knowing the specifics for both Illinois and National statutes.

Thanks for your your help

08 Thomas EF
Top Member

533 Posts

Posted - 10/18/2014 :  6:55:43 PM  Show Profile  Visit 08 Thomas EF's Homepage  Reply with Quote
First of all, I'm sorry to hear you're going through what you are. But, it seems like you're planning on doing your best to keep on doing what you're doing, which is great!

I'm no expert on statutes, but it seems to me that it might pose an issue with your ability to pull a student off the bus in an emergency. I look forward to hearing answers from people in the loop, though.

Edited by - 08 Thomas EF on 10/18/2014 6:57:04 PM
Go to Top of Page

Iceman

5 Posts

Posted - 10/19/2014 :  3:18:42 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks for your good wishes Thomas and yes, you make a valid point. Having never had a prosthetic leg I don't know how secure they are for the type of situation you described. I too look forward to others input. Best to you.
Go to Top of Page

bluebirdvision
Top Member

USA
1081 Posts

Posted - 10/21/2014 :  3:09:05 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have cerebral palsy (very mildly) I hold a CDL B with P & S endorsements. I would never consider transporting students, as I don't feel comfortable with my inability to get students out of the bus in an emergency! I doubt anyone would hire me to do so anyway.

Something for you to think about

Facebook Page: Blue Bird Corporation Fans
https://www.facebook.com/home.php?sk=group_212311114614&ap=1

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:

School Bus Fleet Magazine Forums © 2022 School Bus Fleet Magazine Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.15 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000