Professional Garage
 Enter Forum: Professional Garage
 Fuel Pump
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Ewitkin

4 Posts

Posted - 10/07/2014 :  10:25:33 AM  Show Profile  Visit Ewitkin's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I am running a 1997 T444E engine in which I am starting to loose power on the high way. This is a problem that is occurring more and more. What happens is as I am driving on the highway all of a sudden no matter how much gas I give it I will not be able to get the bus over 45 mph. Sometimes this is associated with white gas exiting the exhaust and a diesel smell in the cabin. Most of the time if I just take it easy or pull over and let her rest a bit I regain power.

Additional information about my bus is that it has been converted to also run on vegetable oil, however, this issue happens even when running on diesel. Also, this bus has another bus upside down on top of it almost doubling the weight and drag, which the engine has had no additional work to compensate for.

My first guess at the issue is that the fuel pump needs replacing, but I was wondering if anyone had any ideas or suggestions

JoeHEB1
Advanced Member

498 Posts

Posted - 10/07/2014 :  10:59:08 AM  Show Profile  Visit JoeHEB1's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Question, how on earth do you go under bridges with a second bus stacked on top? My guess would be that you're overloading the engine.
Go to Top of Page

Ewitkin

4 Posts

Posted - 10/07/2014 :  11:03:48 AM  Show Profile  Visit Ewitkin's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Bridges are certainly something we pay attention to (Chicago in particular is problematic with the elevated train). Any Ideas on things I could do? I thought I might be able to put an auxiliary electric fuel pump in line connected to a switch in the cabin to give it a little extra boost when I was loosing power.
Go to Top of Page

Fastback
Top Member

1500 Posts

Posted - 10/07/2014 :  12:33:12 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
If after sitting a while it runs ok, you may have something in the fuel tank that floats around and blocks the fuel pickup pipe, then falls away when there is no draw.
I would check the fuel pressure, both when it is running normal and when it loses power.

Why yes, the ORIGinal CHARGER is a Fastback
Go to Top of Page

C.HARDY
Advanced Member

354 Posts

Posted - 10/10/2014 :  7:26:24 PM  Show Profile  Click to see C.HARDY's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Check your rock catcher. Ive had several come in with low power and that baby will be completely stopped up with sludge. Bio diesel seems to cause some of those problems.

"Hardybusman"
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:

School Bus Fleet Magazine Forums © 2022 School Bus Fleet Magazine Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.03 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000