Enter Forum: Professional Garage
 Maxxforce DT 2011
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

JoeHEB1
Advanced Member

498 Posts

Posted - 10/07/2014 :  08:40:52 AM  Show Profile  Visit JoeHEB1's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Problem: when coming to a stop, the bus dies but cranks back up. Driver said it died 7 times during route. I've checked for codes and none are present, replaced the fuel filter with OEM but the problem remains. It just dies when coming to a stop without warning driver said, I can't get it to die for me on a test drive. I'm wondering if the torque convertor is locking up. Any ideas?

RonF
Top Member

867 Posts

Posted - 10/07/2014 :  09:33:29 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
MaxxForce DT, MaxxForce 9? Straight 6 right? Fuel strainer, fuel pump pressure. Could be the torque converter. If you have Allison Doc you should be able to check that.

US Army retired CMBT
Go to Top of Page

JoeHEB1
Advanced Member

498 Posts

Posted - 10/07/2014 :  10:46:55 AM  Show Profile  Visit JoeHEB1's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Yes Maxxforce DT strait 6, I do have the Allison software when I get time I'll hook it up and see what's going on. Thanks.
Go to Top of Page

mastertech
Advanced Member

274 Posts

Posted - 10/07/2014 :  12:48:07 PM  Show Profile  Visit mastertech's Homepage  Reply with Quote
A sticking torque converter that is slow to release might not show up on a slow test drive. You have to get it on the highway and let it lockup for a bit then come to a stop. If it is sticking the engine will act like its fighting to stay running and chug till it dies. It will downshift harshly as well. Then after a few seconds it will release and run fine like nothing had happened until the next lockup event.
Go to Top of Page

JoeHEB1
Advanced Member

498 Posts

Posted - 10/28/2014 :  09:25:11 AM  Show Profile  Visit JoeHEB1's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Update: driver cranked up bus to do pre trip inspection and it sounded as if it was running on 3 cylinders. Long story short, it FINALLY gave a good code! All the codes that came up pointed to the ICP sensor. Replaced the sensor and the bus is running great, driver reported that it has not skipped a beat in a week!
Go to Top of Page

CISDbusman
Advanced Member

305 Posts

Posted - 10/28/2014 :  10:26:47 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I had a 3126 Kitty die after letting off the pedal coming into the edge of a small town once. Motor died like you turned the key off. Mine wouldn't restart though. Replaced the IPR (or whatever Cat calls theirs) and IT never missed another lick,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,until it started breaking rings!!!!!!!

Glad all is merry with your bus now!!!
Go to Top of Page

JoeHEB1
Advanced Member

498 Posts

Posted - 11/03/2014 :  07:13:43 AM  Show Profile  Visit JoeHEB1's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Update: started doing the same thing!!!!!! back to square one!
Go to Top of Page

JoeHEB1
Advanced Member

498 Posts

Posted - 12/17/2014 :  05:39:01 AM  Show Profile  Visit JoeHEB1's Homepage  Reply with Quote
BUMP....... bus is still dieing when coming to a stop, not every stop but does it 2-3 times during route. The last good code it gave was the ICP sensor, so it was replaced but it's still dieing. The bus starts right back up. Any help is appreciated.
Go to Top of Page

Bassman
Top Member

USA
558 Posts

Posted - 12/18/2014 :  03:48:02 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Did you replace the IPR or the ICP sensor. ICP sensor under the valve cover is ultra common to cause what you are experiencing! We have changed many for that symptom.
Go to Top of Page

JoeHEB1
Advanced Member

498 Posts

Posted - 12/18/2014 :  04:08:33 AM  Show Profile  Visit JoeHEB1's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Bassman

Did you replace the IPR or the ICP sensor. ICP sensor under the valve cover is ultra common to cause what you are experiencing! We have changed many for that symptom.

The ICP sensor was replaced but the problem remains.
Go to Top of Page

RonF
Top Member

867 Posts

Posted - 12/18/2014 :  04:35:15 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Check your fuel filter and fuel screen. If you are using a NAPA, WIX or Car quest brand switch it out for an OEM brand. There is a letter on International ISIS about using the NAPA 3994 filters causing a low fuel pressure issue.

US Army retired CMBT
Go to Top of Page

JoeHEB1
Advanced Member

498 Posts

Posted - 12/18/2014 :  06:15:33 AM  Show Profile  Visit JoeHEB1's Homepage  Reply with Quote
@RonF thanks for the heads up, we've gone to OEM fuel filters since I've read that letter that someone had posted in this forum. This bus does have OEM fuel filters in it. I just wish it would give some kind of code to point me into the right direction, the ICP code that it gave sometime ago was fixed but it still dies when coming to a stop. And it's intermitten!!!
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:

School Bus Fleet Magazine Forums © 2022 School Bus Fleet Magazine Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.11 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000