New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Mechan1c
Top Member

USA
853 Posts

Posted - 09/26/2014 :  6:09:59 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have a 2010 BE with what sounds like a dragging rear brake that gets worse with heat. It's a steady howl-like sound as opposed to a warped rotor sound that goes in and out. Better than 50% life on the pads, the rotors look ok, and the bus stops great. Turning left seems to increase the sound. It's pretty annoying and noticeable. I have a dozen of these and they've been fairly trouble-free. No rust here. I've never relined one yet. Air drum brakes on the rest of the fleet.

Has anyone ever put anything on the back of the pads to silence them?

Any brand preference on replacement pads that are noise-free? Rotors?

Thanks, have a good weekend.

BJ Henderson
Advanced Member

USA
280 Posts

Posted - 09/27/2014 :  10:27:14 AM  Show Profile  Send BJ Henderson an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Yes, anti seize is used here. I would look for a caliper sticking on the right rear from what you are describing. Either the slides or the pistons are sticking. Do a temp gun check on them after a long test drive, you can pick it out pretty quickly.

CMTT,CMAT,CMBT
Go to Top of Page

arooj

1 Posts

Posted - 09/30/2014 :  04:07:04 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I am new to the side by side world too. I would like a to find a diesel one as well. The problem that I am finding is that nobody makes one that will keep up with the gas ones. I have been looking at the Intimidator web site, and I think one of these and a turbo retrofitted on would make a snappy 
Go to Top of Page

Bus Tech II

121 Posts

Posted - 09/30/2014 :  04:57:26 AM  Show Profile  Visit Bus Tech II's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Are the calipers the 4 piston ones? If so its common. you can try to change the pads and see if it corrects the issue.
Go to Top of Page

Mechan1c
Top Member

USA
853 Posts

Posted - 09/30/2014 :  1:08:55 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
"Are the calipers the 4 piston ones?"

Yep, these are the Quadraulics. Do you use the Meritor lining for replacements?
Go to Top of Page

Bus Tech II

121 Posts

Posted - 10/01/2014 :  05:17:49 AM  Show Profile  Visit Bus Tech II's Homepage  Reply with Quote
No, we are reoplacing them with Hawkhead brand number D769
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:

School Bus Fleet Magazine Forums © 2022 School Bus Fleet Magazine Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.05 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000