John Deere CNG convert to Diesel?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Elliot

USA
54 Posts

Posted - 09/25/2014 :  06:25:25 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I can get quite a deal on a CNG-fueled bus with a John Deere engine. But we travel long distances, and CNG dealers are scarce. Is it possible -- realistic -- to convert it to Diesel fuel?

Crown

89 Posts

Posted - 09/25/2014 :  6:11:08 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
In addition to what you would need to add, many parts would need to be replaced. Things could get complicated in a hurry. You might look for a rebuilder that would do an exchange.
Go to Top of Page

Elliot

USA
54 Posts

Posted - 09/26/2014 :  07:51:42 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks, Crown, that is probably a wise warning. Are we talking about replacing the John Deere with a different brand engine, or does the John Deere also come in a Diesel configuration? I'm guessing it does. Do you know what parts are different? Are we talking pistons for a different compression ratio, or only external parts like the injection pump?

Elliot
1992 Bluebird TC2000 FE, 5.9, MT643
Go to Top of Page

Crown

89 Posts

Posted - 09/26/2014 :  9:08:50 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Assuming it's an 8.1, yes there is a similar Diesel, but that's part of the complication. You need to find a patient parts person who has extra time to kill. Obviously the pistons and cylinder head are different. I would not be surprised if the cam and turbo charger are also different. Both versions should have piston cooling. It could be a fairly easy changeover or a can of worms. You just need to gather the right information first.
Go to Top of Page

Elliot

USA
54 Posts

Posted - 10/02/2014 :  08:17:22 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Very good. I will pass on this "deal". Thanks for the help!

Elliot
1992 Bluebird TC2000 FE, 5.9, MT643
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:

School Bus Fleet Magazine Forums © 2022 School Bus Fleet Magazine Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.09 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000