New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Thomasbus24
Administrator

USA
4544 Posts

Posted - 09/24/2014 :  07:23:54 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have an Allison Reman PTS 2500 that is 4 years old (our of warranty). the thing appears to be leaking where the bell housing of the tranny bolts to the main body. I'm fairly confident it isn't a converter or converter seal, because I have nothing coming out of the engine bell housing. Bolts are TIGHT.

Anybody have this? How'd you fix it? Nightmare or simple job? Another reman or fix this one?

sob

USA
91 Posts

Posted - 09/24/2014 :  07:34:42 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Left field guess, would the trans. fluid be coming out of the vent ??
Go to Top of Page

Thomasbus24
Administrator

USA
4544 Posts

Posted - 09/24/2014 :  10:10:43 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
We can watch it seep from the seam in question...good thought though!!!!
Go to Top of Page

Thomasbus24
Administrator

USA
4544 Posts

Posted - 10/02/2014 :  12:29:39 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Got him in the shop today and dropped it. Definitely leaking at that seam, not the breather vent.

Now the million dollar question...can I sit this thing bell housing up, yank the converter, and yank the front section off and reseal? Ok, I know I CAN do it, I've just never done one...does everything fall apart internally once the front section is removed or are the internals held in place by some other means?

**I'm just debating if I should send this one out**
Go to Top of Page

JoeHEB1
Advanced Member

498 Posts

Posted - 10/02/2014 :  1:27:50 PM  Show Profile  Visit JoeHEB1's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I've never done one myself, but if it were me I would send it out. You already have it droppped. Just my 2 cents.
Go to Top of Page

Thomasbus24
Administrator

USA
4544 Posts

Posted - 10/02/2014 :  1:47:01 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I hear ya. School is in dire financial problems, so anything we can safely do ourselves, we do. Always up for an adventure...but not sure if we want this adventure!
Go to Top of Page

Thomasbus24
Administrator

USA
4544 Posts

Posted - 10/03/2014 :  10:13:18 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It's Friday and I felt like destroying something, so I went ahead and pulled the front housing off. Not bad at all really.

Allison gets an F for this reman. Some clown wrinkled, folded and forced the gasket between the main housing and the spacer plate into place, then cranked it down and hoped for the best. I'm amazed it lasted this long.

Here's a pic of the great job...

https://www.flickr.com/photos/27265743@N03/15429870572/in/set-72157647914787407
Go to Top of Page

JoeHEB1
Advanced Member

498 Posts

Posted - 10/07/2014 :  2:04:33 PM  Show Profile  Visit JoeHEB1's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Wow...I see you went for it. That's awesome! Soooo nothing fell out? Where did you get the gasket from and how much?
Go to Top of Page

Thomasbus24
Administrator

USA
4544 Posts

Posted - 10/08/2014 :  03:10:22 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I sat it up on end (converter end up), everything stayed in place. Converter housing comes off, then you have to unbolt the pump assembly from it. About 30 bolts all said and done, 4 different sizes,some have O-rings.

I ordered the gaskets from my Blue Bird dealer (Allison dealer). Didn't have in-stock, should come Friday, I'll let you know the prices and how it turns out.

I think I pay add a converter seal to the order just for safety since I'm RIGHT THERE anyways. It would make me say some bad words if that started leaking.
Go to Top of Page

JoeHEB1
Advanced Member

498 Posts

Posted - 10/08/2014 :  09:30:45 AM  Show Profile  Visit JoeHEB1's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Post some pics of the assembly if it's not too much trouble. Yeah good idea to replace the convertor seal while you're in there.
Go to Top of Page

Thomasbus24
Administrator

USA
4544 Posts

Posted - 05/11/2015 :  08:43:41 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I forgot to post my pics!

https://www.flickr.com/photos/27265743@N03/albums "Allison gets an F" is the album title. It wasn't a bad job, really, just a lot of cleaning and care in reassembling so that the same thing didn't happen again.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:

School Bus Fleet Magazine Forums © 2022 School Bus Fleet Magazine Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.08 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000