Enter Forum: Professional Garage
 Maxx force DT wasted cam
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

RBrian

United States
71 Posts

Posted - 09/23/2014 :  04:05:13 AM  Show Profile  Visit RBrian's Homepage  Reply with Quote
This is the second maxxforce dt in my fleet to have a lifter retainer come apart and destroy the cam. IHC has a kit that includes two lifter retainers per cylinder so I guess this is a known problem also. Both happened out of warranty at around 100,000 miles.

Edited by - RBrian on 09/23/2014 04:36:43 AM

JoeHEB1
Advanced Member

498 Posts

Posted - 09/23/2014 :  06:44:59 AM  Show Profile  Visit JoeHEB1's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Exact same happened to one of ours. Scroll down in the link.http://www.schoolbusfleet.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=37471
Go to Top of Page

wrench slinger

38 Posts

Posted - 09/25/2014 :  05:23:59 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
been there done that, i don't know if international has done anything to improve the lifter retainer, but this is what i have done i double the lifter retainer and it has helped.
Go to Top of Page

TheRide

107 Posts

Posted - 10/01/2014 :  05:59:28 AM  Show Profile  Visit TheRide's Homepage  Reply with Quote
we have a rear engine bus that is at the dealer for this issue now. My supervisor says that this bus has been this way since new. It finally bit the dust.
Go to Top of Page

Bus Tech II

121 Posts

Posted - 10/20/2014 :  08:59:12 AM  Show Profile  Visit Bus Tech II's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Out of curiosity what were your symptoms and how did you go about diagnosing this? Were there any early warning signs?
Go to Top of Page

JoeHEB1
Advanced Member

498 Posts

Posted - 10/20/2014 :  09:15:40 AM  Show Profile  Visit JoeHEB1's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Bus Tech II

Out of curiosity what were your symptoms and how did you go about diagnosing this? Were there any early warning signs?

When it happened to one of our units, the bus started smoking and had no power. Injector codes appeared, I pulled off the valve cover and ran it and noticed one of the rockers wasn't moving like all the others. There are no early symptoms.
Go to Top of Page

Bus Tech II

121 Posts

Posted - 10/20/2014 :  09:56:17 AM  Show Profile  Visit Bus Tech II's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Thats what I figured. Thanks
Go to Top of Page

RBrian

United States
71 Posts

Posted - 10/20/2014 :  10:45:46 AM  Show Profile  Visit RBrian's Homepage  Reply with Quote
We have had two. Neither one gave any warning. On the first one the driver called in saying she heard a loud pop and then the engine had a miss. The second was found during pm. We noticed a bad miss, the driver never said anything.
Go to Top of Page

earl1412

101 Posts

Posted - 10/27/2014 :  4:53:55 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Just had one come apart last Thursday, no warning,fortunately we still have extended warranty until next May. Bad news is the engine is on national back order. VT365 seems to be a popular motor? Ha Ha!
Go to Top of Page

second.flood
Top Member

USA
640 Posts

Posted - 10/28/2014 :  07:04:00 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Which engine is affected? 07 or 10 emissions?
Go to Top of Page

TheRide

107 Posts

Posted - 10/28/2014 :  09:17:30 AM  Show Profile  Visit TheRide's Homepage  Reply with Quote
our bus they said had no power from the day they had it and they had multiple issues with the bus. The bus only has 60,000 miles on it but warranty was out of date because of the age of the bus, They are putting a new engine in now
Go to Top of Page

slippert
Top Member

USA
630 Posts

Posted - 10/31/2014 :  10:21:35 AM  Show Profile  Click to see slippert's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by second.flood

Which engine is affected? 07 or 10 emissions?

I had one 07 emission do this ,so assume it is that vintage above....luckily mine was still under warranty, milage was about 100,000 plus and bus was about 3 years old.....dealer told me the early 07 emission engines were built with one lifter retainer installed

New kits sold/installed were to update older ones after failure with two retainers.... basically sounded like it was bad decision by IH to build them the way they did.. and after a few failures they came up with an updated kit.. just not enough complaints to warrant a field change or recall....

I would assume 10 emissons would be updated now, but I hadn't had an oil pan rot out on a 466 since 2003-2004 models either, but just started seeing pans do it again on my 2010 Ic's... just replaced 2 this year that had scabs fall off and start leaking..... I have a quite a few 05-07 busses with 190,000 to 235,000 on them, the oil pans are still original... and in good shape...

Must be like fashion everything comes in style again if ya wait long enough...
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:

School Bus Fleet Magazine Forums © 2022 School Bus Fleet Magazine Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.06 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000