Enter Forum: Professional Garage
 T444E Coolant leak in cylinder
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

aaronwilmoth80911
Top Member

538 Posts

Posted - 09/16/2014 :  07:18:39 AM  Show Profile  Visit aaronwilmoth80911's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Bus was on a trip and overheated. Driver stopped and put some water in it and continued to run it. Story I'm getting is that he continued over a mountain pass with it and hit 250 degrees. We now have coolant leaking in one of the cylinders. My question is who thinks head gasket, who thinks cracked head, or any other possibility and why? This bus has had new injectors and the cups replaced less than a year ago. One injector cup was leaking coolant around it last year. What would be the easiest way of determining which cylinder it is?

RidgeLine

29 Posts

Posted - 09/16/2014 :  10:15:26 AM  Show Profile  Visit RidgeLine's Homepage  Reply with Quote
It could be a cracked head, blown head gasket, or a cracked block. By injector cup are you talking about injector sleeve?
The best way to find out which cylinder is getting coolant in it would be to pull all the injectors or glow plugs and then put pressure to the cooling system and wait for coolant to fill the cylinder up, then you'll know.
Go to Top of Page

aaronwilmoth80911
Top Member

538 Posts

Posted - 09/16/2014 :  10:41:03 AM  Show Profile  Visit aaronwilmoth80911's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Yes, injector sleeve. We are pulling glow plugs right now and will pressurize the system then use a remote start to bump the engine over without trying to start to see which one pukes coolant.
Go to Top of Page

Thomasbus24
Administrator

USA
4544 Posts

Posted - 09/16/2014 :  11:47:45 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have to ask...does the driver now find himself job-impaired?
Go to Top of Page

aaronwilmoth80911
Top Member

538 Posts

Posted - 09/16/2014 :  11:49:55 AM  Show Profile  Visit aaronwilmoth80911's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Negative Thomasbus24. I don't call the shots around here though.
Go to Top of Page

Thomasbus24
Administrator

USA
4544 Posts

Posted - 09/18/2014 :  04:26:36 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I hear ya loud and clear!
Go to Top of Page

aaronwilmoth80911
Top Member

538 Posts

Posted - 10/03/2014 :  06:53:55 AM  Show Profile  Visit aaronwilmoth80911's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Update: heads were pulled and sent to machine shop and both heads are cracked. Not sure if they were cracked and thats what the overheating situation was, or if they cracked from the overheating. Either way, we will be getting a set of remans and putting those on.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:

School Bus Fleet Magazine Forums © 2022 School Bus Fleet Magazine Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.05 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000