Professional Garage
 Enter Forum: Professional Garage
 Maxxforce DT fuel delivery pressure
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

TheRide

107 Posts

Posted - 09/15/2014 :  1:19:49 PM  Show Profile  Visit TheRide's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Im having issues with fuel filter light coming on and the filters are new. the screen below the electric pump was very dirty, I figured the lift pump was weak so installed new one along with new filters and still have the wrench light coming on saying fuel filter needs changed. I have driven the bus with laptop connected and the fdp drops to 63psi then the dash light comes on. My thinking is the fdp sensor is bad. The bus runs and pulls like it always has (just fine). The code was DTC N/A SPN 94 FMI 1 Fuel Delivery Below Critical.

Bus Tech II

121 Posts

Posted - 09/16/2014 :  05:07:49 AM  Show Profile  Visit Bus Tech II's Homepage  Reply with Quote
We just had one of these. Try to clamp off the return from the fuel filter canister (Grey/silver line). If the fuel prseesure goes up the you will need to replace the fuel filter canister as a whole.
Go to Top of Page

TheRide

107 Posts

Posted - 09/16/2014 :  09:13:28 AM  Show Profile  Visit TheRide's Homepage  Reply with Quote
so it was returning more fuel to tank because of restriction in the filter canister?
Go to Top of Page

Bus Tech II

121 Posts

Posted - 09/16/2014 :  10:40:30 AM  Show Profile  Visit Bus Tech II's Homepage  Reply with Quote
No theres a check valve spring and plunger letting fuel return at a lower pressure
Go to Top of Page

TheRide

107 Posts

Posted - 09/16/2014 :  12:28:08 PM  Show Profile  Visit TheRide's Homepage  Reply with Quote
this one has a serviceable fuel pressure regulator, and I have changed it already.
Go to Top of Page

TheRide

107 Posts

Posted - 09/16/2014 :  12:35:22 PM  Show Profile  Visit TheRide's Homepage  Reply with Quote
next time I have it in the shop I will look at clamping that return line and see what it reads.. Its been reading 70+ while idling.
Go to Top of Page

TheRide

107 Posts

Posted - 09/20/2014 :  6:33:27 PM  Show Profile  Visit TheRide's Homepage  Reply with Quote
What should the fdp be at idle and what should be lowest it should drop to under load? I have been looking in the manuals on ISIS but haven't found that spec.
Go to Top of Page

Bus Tech II

121 Posts

Posted - 09/22/2014 :  1:29:08 PM  Show Profile  Visit Bus Tech II's Homepage  Reply with Quote
with the electric pump you should never see it below 75. Not sure what the spec is. Depending what year it is servicemaxx will only read up to 75. 2013 emmissions shows above
Go to Top of Page

bandit

41 Posts

Posted - 09/22/2014 :  2:12:45 PM  Show Profile  Visit bandit's Homepage  Reply with Quote
We had the same problem with 2 of our dts, changed the filter with a oem one and took care of the problem. we heard from our international saleman that there is a issue with after market filters.
Go to Top of Page

Mechan1c
Top Member

USA
853 Posts

Posted - 09/22/2014 :  3:35:31 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
And it should be steady, not bouncing around...
Go to Top of Page

JoeHEB1
Advanced Member

498 Posts

Posted - 09/24/2014 :  09:00:27 AM  Show Profile  Visit JoeHEB1's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Any updates??? I have one doing the same thing, replaced the fuel filter with a Wix and it fixed the problem for about 3 weeks, now the the fuel filter light is back on with the same code. I'm gonna try an OEM fuel filter like @bandit said to see if that fixes it. I'll keep y'all posted.
Go to Top of Page

mrschoolbus1

15 Posts

Posted - 09/24/2014 :  4:14:18 PM  Show Profile  Visit mrschoolbus1's Homepage  Reply with Quote

From iKNow article IK1201004
EPA 2010 and later DT, 9 & 10 engines use a fuel module that incorporates many features, including an electric fuel pump, fuel heater and fuel strainer.
-The fuel strainer can be seen when the pump is removed from the filter module. The strainer should be cleaned at the filter replacement interval (30K miles / 43K Km / or 12 months). The strainer P/N is 1899335C91 (see images below)
-Low fuel pressure and Hard Start or No Start conditions can be caused by at least two manufacturers of non OEM fuel filters. See differences in the fuel filter seals here and fuel filter recall G-Letter here.
-Navistar has received complaints that NAPA fuel filter FIL3994 can cause low fuel pressure. CARQUEST and WIX 86994 appear to be made by the same mfg. as the NAPA filter.
-Navistar's OEM fuel filter was developed specifically to work with features that are designed into the fuel filter housing. These features remove air from the fuel system and produce the required fuel pressure, giving the engine optimum performance.
-Calibration updates have been made due to low fuel pressure DTC's 94-1, 94-17 being set erroneously. Do not perform diagnostics for these faults unless there is a starting or performance complaints.
-Update the engine calibration (see calibration scorecard)
-If the vehicle has this code(s) and has a performance complaint then update the engine calibration AND follow step-based diagnostics (at the beginning of this article)
-Some low fuel pressure complaints are caused by a worn fuel pressure regulator valve & spring. Kit 1893801C94 is available to remedy this.
-Low fuel pressure complaints can be caused by the wrong O-ring being installed on the fuel pump
Go to Top of Page

mrschoolbus1

15 Posts

Posted - 09/24/2014 :  4:19:24 PM  Show Profile  Visit mrschoolbus1's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Here is the rest of the details from the article:
-Fuel pressures above 60 psi will not cause low power or performance complaints on this engine

-Fuel inlet restriction should not exceed 8.14" Hg. / -4 psi. High inlet restriction can cause the pump to draw too much current and shut off or behave erratically (this could be caused by an intermittent fuel restriction in the fuel tank or anywhere in the line). Use ZTSE6009 adapter to attach a vacuum gauge to the fuel inlet.

ELECTRIC FUEL PUMP OVERVIEW

At key ON, the ECM closes the fuel pump relay (provides ground via pin C-76) and battery voltage is supplied to the pump. The pump will run for ten seconds (time varies with coolant temperature) and then shuts off. During the run time if the ECM does not detect crankshaft rotation it switches the fuel pump relay off. The key must be OFF for at least 10 seconds and then cycled ON before the ECM will restart the fuel pump.

DIAGNOSTIC TIPS:

The pump has internal overload protection that turns the pump off under overload (high current draw situations). High current draw can be caused by high inlet restriction or restriction in return line to tank. When current limiting protection is triggered, the pump will cycle on and off causing the system pressure to fluctuate until the overload condition is resolved. The pump may eventually turn itself off. This situation can occur without a fault code being set. When the ignition key is cycled OFF for 10+ seconds and ON the pump will restart

Go to Top of Page

RidgeLine

29 Posts

Posted - 09/25/2014 :  09:21:15 AM  Show Profile  Visit RidgeLine's Homepage  Reply with Quote
FYI, Last time I researched which was about a year and half ago, WIX is the manufacture of NAPA filters.
Go to Top of Page

mhernandez73

124 Posts

Posted - 09/29/2014 :  05:33:08 AM  Show Profile  Visit mhernandez73's Homepage  Reply with Quote
we had several buses with the same problem. we were using aftermarket filters. we went back to OE filters and fixed the problem.
Go to Top of Page

TheRide

107 Posts

Posted - 10/01/2014 :  05:49:56 AM  Show Profile  Visit TheRide's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I plan on working on it today. I have a new filter housing to put on it...all we use is Napa because we get such a good deal..We may have to go to OEM filters...I will update after the filter housing had been Removed and replaced..Thanks for the feedback.
Go to Top of Page

TheRide

107 Posts

Posted - 10/01/2014 :  09:00:27 AM  Show Profile  Visit TheRide's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Replaced the filter housing and now the fuel filter dtc is constant with 52 psi at idle, I blew back though the fuel lines with shop air and the return line seems plugged...it should be free from restriction right??? I mean no check valve? Im gonna look and the top side of the fuel tank next and remove the return line there and see if there is air from one end to the next when I use shop air.. wow I thought the filter housing would have sovled it.
Go to Top of Page

TheRide

107 Posts

Posted - 10/01/2014 :  12:45:52 PM  Show Profile  Visit TheRide's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Ok found that the fdp sensor on the new filter housing was yellow and the original one and new one I replaced old one with is blue, switched the yellow one out with the new blue one and it started reading 75psi. Road tested with the laptop hooked up and it maintained 75psi throughout the trip with no fuel filter dtc. So the housing was plugged and new one had wrong fdp sensor. I pulled the elect lift pump out of the old one and the screen that had been on only a week had crap that looked like pieces of sponge, thinking bus was vandalized at an away ball game maybe so will get it in here when fuel level is lower and remove and steam it out. what a day!!
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:

School Bus Fleet Magazine Forums © 2022 School Bus Fleet Magazine Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.09 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000