Thomas Freightliner Wipers and delay switch prob
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Mark23290

United States
96 Posts

Posted - 09/11/2014 :  1:17:40 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
This is on a 04 Thomas. When I turn the key to on or Accessory the wipers cycle once. Every once in a while they stay on when all the switches are off.. Also the delayed wipers sometimes works and sometimes does not. I've tried looking for loose connections and changing the fuses on the side panel.

Also the front cross arm is electrical and it stays out on occasions and other times works just fine... I'm kinda scared this bus is possed with electrical gremlins..

bwest
Administrator

United States
3820 Posts

Posted - 09/11/2014 :  5:17:38 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The wiper problem is probably the intermittent module. Crossing arm is something entirely different. Make sure you have a good connection at the cross arm base and there are no wires that are warren part in two.

Bryan
Go to Top of Page

Mark23290

United States
96 Posts

Posted - 09/12/2014 :  09:27:07 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Anyone have a alternative instead of the standard Thomas switch so I do not have to wait on shipping.

Like this morning I start the bus and both wipers just start flapping in the breeze- No switches are even on....

Thanks for all the help
Go to Top of Page

bwest
Administrator

United States
3820 Posts

Posted - 09/12/2014 :  10:09:37 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I don't. I do a pretty good job of finding alternatives but I haven't on this one. Albeit I didn't look as hard because I only have two of these. So, you might be able to find something out there if you look hard.

Bryan
Go to Top of Page

Thomasbus24
Administrator

USA
4544 Posts

Posted - 09/12/2014 :  10:16:00 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'm trying to remember...if you unplug the module, do the wipers become totally inop? Wouldn't be too bad just not having delay for a couple of days.
Go to Top of Page

Mark23290

United States
96 Posts

Posted - 09/12/2014 :  10:28:47 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
was looking on Tac Parts website and they have the switch and the module so I dont know if I should go the cheap way first and just replace the switch (Rotary Knob) or the whole assembly. Or if I have some sort of electrical ghost that is causing this.. The wipers cycle on and off once every time I turn the key to start the bus. Any clues?
Go to Top of Page

Thomasbus24
Administrator

USA
4544 Posts

Posted - 09/12/2014 :  11:05:54 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The switch isn't anything elaborate...just a rheostat. The modules are junk, especially if they ever get wet.

I hate to see a guy spend money on a module and it not be the problem, but it seems lost likely.
Go to Top of Page

bwest
Administrator

United States
3820 Posts

Posted - 09/12/2014 :  12:11:18 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
When this happened to one of mine it was not going off all the time when you turned the switch to off and every once in a while when driving along they would just come one and stay on. It would also come on and cycle when the key was first turned on. I replaced the module and all this stopped except the coming on when you first turn the key on. Still does it to this day.

Bryan
Go to Top of Page

Fastback
Top Member

1500 Posts

Posted - 09/12/2014 :  12:29:11 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Mark23290

The wipers cycle on and off once every time I turn the key to start the bus. Any clues?

Sounds like a handy pretrip inspection feature
Probably not so good when the wipers are froze to the windshield.

Why yes, the ORIGinal CHARGER is a Fastback

Edited by - Fastback on 09/12/2014 12:44:17 PM
Go to Top of Page

buster133
Top Member

USA
512 Posts

Posted - 09/14/2014 :  10:29:49 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
If you open up your side panel you’ll find two separate wiper modules that could be going bad, the first is a small cube (5200-4973) $16.08 with two small plugs and then the wiper delay module (5200-4981) $79.26 with two white plugs and mounting tab. You can search these part numbers on TAC to get an image of each. It’s been a while since I’ve played with one of these so I can’t give a step by step, but you can unplug from the delay module and move the white plugs around so that you’re bypassing the delay cube but still retaining full control of hi/low and park.

On a separate note, I had a 06 that wouldn’t return the wipers back to their parked position. Over the lifetime of the bus we replaced both modules, the wiper switch and a motor with no change. When I was removing the 2-way radio and camera system before trade in, I discovered an unmarked 2 amp inline fuse in the side panel that was blown, so out of curiosity I replaced it, and guess what happened. The wipers returned to park, go figure. I guess better late than never!

[URL=http://s7.photobucket.com/user/buster133/media/6f2e0703-1970-4ac9-bb1f-b6b9d7c12297_zps1741e113.jpg.html][/URL]
Go to Top of Page

Mark23290

United States
96 Posts

Posted - 09/15/2014 :  09:36:07 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thank you for all the help. I just ordered the delay module from TAC. I did unplug the wipers from it, but the wipers then would not work at all. What a wiring zoo inside.... Just ordered the wiring diagram from the Thomas dealer.

On another note:

I was monkeying around and was trying to see about the dome light dimmer switch the bus has, it looks hooked up but does not do a dang thing.. I plugged in a connecter marked dome light dimmer and now I dont have side panel switch lights.. Guess I have to go back in and unhook that..

The front crossing arm staying out I disconnected the Magnetic gizmo that was on the bus for a old style whip arm and so far it seems to have done the trick. Arm is going in and out as it should.

Again thanks for all the help- NO Mechanic here just a one man contractor trying to fix the stuff myself. THANKS AGAIN
Go to Top of Page

bwest
Administrator

United States
3820 Posts

Posted - 09/15/2014 :  11:08:47 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
You're doing a good job. I haven't had any problems with the dimmer on mine, so I haven't a clue.

Bryan
Go to Top of Page

Derbybug

USA
59 Posts

Posted - 09/15/2014 :  5:36:35 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Buster133 did you happen to notice what circuit number that inline fuse was on? I have an 05 Thomas Freightliner that will not correctly park the wipers. I have been in the side panel and gone thru both the relay and the module with no luck. Both motors are getting the signal to park but they stop wherever they happen to be when the switch is turned off. I am starting to think the motors are bad, but want to eliminate all other possibilities before I replace them. I looked for an inline fuse in the panel beside the drivers seat, but can't find one. Any info would help out. Thanks

Safety in all things, always!
Go to Top of Page

Derbybug

USA
59 Posts

Posted - 09/17/2014 :  07:44:03 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Anyone have any info on this? Thanks

Safety in all things, always!
Go to Top of Page

Mark23290

United States
96 Posts

Posted - 09/17/2014 :  3:06:25 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
New delay wiper module from Tac Bus Parts did the trick.
Go to Top of Page

beserkur

12 Posts

Posted - 10/02/2014 :  9:01:22 PM  Show Profile  Visit beserkur's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Mark23290

Thank you for all the help. I just ordered the delay module from TAC. I did unplug the wipers from it, but the wipers then would not work at all. What a wiring zoo inside.... Just ordered the wiring diagram from the Thomas dealer.

On another note:

I was monkeying around and was trying to see about the dome light dimmer switch the bus has, it looks hooked up but does not do a dang thing.. I plugged in a connecter marked dome light dimmer and now I dont have side panel switch lights.. Guess I have to go back in and unhook that..

The front crossing arm staying out I disconnected the Magnetic gizmo that was on the bus for a old style whip arm and so far it seems to have done the trick. Arm is going in and out as it should.

Again thanks for all the help- NO Mechanic here just a one man contractor trying to fix the stuff myself. THANKS AGAIN

Hey Mark,Sounds like your crossing arm is a ground problem-check the SIMPLE things first and remember-80% of the time it's a wire problem.either corrosion,rubbing/chafing,cut/broken,improperly repaired etc...
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:

School Bus Fleet Magazine Forums © 2022 School Bus Fleet Magazine Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.09 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000