Professional Garage
 Enter Forum: Professional Garage
 2001 3800 444E no start
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Buslines101

4 Posts

Posted - 09/10/2014 :  10:07:32 AM  Show Profile  Visit Buslines101's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Hello my name is Tyler I am a recently licenced truck and coach tech and I'm Canadian from Ontario

I just joined today and This is my first post first off so thanks in advance for the help!

In my fleet I have a 2001 international 3800 444Eit has a bluebird body on it, it has been good up until now. It sat all summer because it wasn't in use I started it up and checked it out prior to the first day of school it ran good, it's a spare bus and one of our other buses was down so I gave it to the driver to use, he said it wouldn't start so I have him another bus and towed it into my shop after not being able to get it going.

The problem is it dosent do anything when the key is turned to start, it makes a click from the relay under the control panel. I have checked all of the relays in the cab, we have good battery voltage, no fuses blown, swapped the ECM and ignition switch with known good parts. If i short the starter out it cranks but won't start, we have no communication with the ECM with our computer diag (servicemaxx). If we short out the crank inhibit relay it will crank also but won't run.

I have spent two days on this and I am starting to go crazy here. If I can be of any assistance I can include pictures and video

Thanks again this one is tricky.

Derbybug

USA
59 Posts

Posted - 09/10/2014 :  1:29:15 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Did you check the neutral safety switch?

Safety in all things, always!
Go to Top of Page

sob

USA
91 Posts

Posted - 09/10/2014 :  1:54:02 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Another place to "look" is the connector to the rear of the Cyl. head on the pass. side. These weather pack connectors can give fits. I would also give a look at the fuses and connectors in the battery box.

B
Go to Top of Page

Buslines101

4 Posts

Posted - 09/11/2014 :  5:43:08 PM  Show Profile  Visit Buslines101's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Derbybug

Did you check the neutral safety switch?

Yes, it ended up being a rubbed threw wire 97 AU which gives the ECM power, which is why I couldn't connect to the ECM. It had rubbed threw and had green death all in the wire so I cut and spliced it back together. Then it started and ran just fine.

The problem was I was checking the start side of the wiring when I should of been checking for ECM power. The only way I found it was taking off all of the loom on the wires and just visually inspecting them.

Thanks for the help!
Go to Top of Page

Buslines101

4 Posts

Posted - 09/11/2014 :  5:45:42 PM  Show Profile  Visit Buslines101's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by sob

Another place to "look" is the connector to the rear of the Cyl. head on the pass. side. These weather pack connectors can give fits. I would also give a look at the fuses and connectors in the battery box.

B

Yes, it ended up being a rubbed threw wire 97 AU which gives the ECM power, which is why I couldn't connect to the ECM. It had rubbed threw and had green death all in the wire so I cut and spliced it back together. Then it started and ran just fine.

The problem was I was checking the start side of the wiring when I should of been checking for ECM power. The only way I found it was taking off all of the loom on the wires and just visually inspecting them.

Thanks for the help!
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:

School Bus Fleet Magazine Forums © 2022 School Bus Fleet Magazine Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.05 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000