New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

bwest
Administrator

United States
3820 Posts

Posted - 09/03/2014 :  05:55:54 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Can I use a used HCU unit? I have been told both ways. One says no way because they changed them so often there would be no way to get one alike. The other version is that it will work. Any ideas out there? I am scared of the system anyway and plan to get rid of the bus but I am wondering if this is possible. I don't have to tell you guys this isn't a grin truck. lol I love it when people tell me how to fix something halp a**. lol (not on here, of course, but mechanics in general who don't work on kid haulers)

Thomasbus24
Administrator

USA
4544 Posts

Posted - 09/03/2014 :  06:40:18 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
But I thought you loved hydraulic brakes?!?!
Go to Top of Page

bwest
Administrator

United States
3820 Posts

Posted - 09/03/2014 :  07:34:03 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I do when they are made properly. This system scares me. I love the system on the old Chevy B7 chassis and the ones that BB has has been good to me. I have older Thomas/ Freightliner and I like it too but not sure about their new system because I've not had any exposure to them.

Bryan
Go to Top of Page

Thomasbus24
Administrator

USA
4544 Posts

Posted - 09/03/2014 :  10:38:03 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yeah, I remember reading about the system IC uses when it first came out and shaking my head a lot.
Go to Top of Page

earl1412

101 Posts

Posted - 09/07/2014 :  08:38:04 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
You all know how I feel about the Wabco systems, I even told the IH dealers when I spec'd for new buses this year, that only Bendix systems were allowed if the board wanted hydraulics. I purposely specified air drums for longevity, and have had very little resistance for drivers to upgrade their CDL for air brakes.
As for using a used HCU I've had too much trouble with corrosion to be able to reuse old components on these systems. Besides, I just had a complete unit replaced by the dealer that was installed in March of this year, because the new computer failed.
I just HATE this system.

earl
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:

School Bus Fleet Magazine Forums © 2022 School Bus Fleet Magazine Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.05 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000