Professional Garage
 Enter Forum: Professional Garage
 2005 IC CE entry door issue
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

TheRide

107 Posts

Posted - 08/26/2014 :  05:06:14 AM  Show Profile  Visit TheRide's Homepage  Reply with Quote
our school has a 2005/6 IC CE bus that has issues with the entry door working off and on, on for the most part....I have found that when it stops working that the stepwell light is on no matter the position of the door. And as long as its on it will not operate. You can drive the bus a little ways and I guess the frame or body flexes and the stepwell light will go out and the door works fine. The issue exists no matter if the headlights are on or off, just drove the bus one time in the dark and put two and two together. I have had the bus in the shop before and jacked it up several different ways trying to simulate frame and body flex but can't seem to recreate the problem. I know its a wiring issue, but could the body controller be causing this? I have posted about this bus before and everybody said limit switches needed adjusted. but that was before I found the common thread with the stepwell light. Thanks

slippert
Top Member

USA
630 Posts

Posted - 09/03/2014 :  04:21:17 AM  Show Profile  Click to see slippert's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by TheRide

our school has a 2005/6 IC CE bus that has issues with the entry door working off and on, on for the most part....I have found that when it stops working that the stepwell light is on no matter the position of the door. And as long as its on it will not operate. You can drive the bus a little ways and I guess the frame or body flexes and the stepwell light will go out and the door works fine. The issue exists no matter if the headlights are on or off, just drove the bus one time in the dark and put two and two together. I have had the bus in the shop before and jacked it up several different ways trying to simulate frame and body flex but can't seem to recreate the problem. I know its a wiring issue, but could the body controller be causing this? I have posted about this bus before and everybody said limit switches needed adjusted. but that was before I found the common thread with the stepwell light. Thanks

05/06 I assume it is an electric door? if it has limit switches.... All my buses that vintage have air operated and the Emergency toggle switch on dash by steps has given me issues when wire breaks inside of switch, first time it happened was a bit of a challange to find as door would work fine in shop then stop and start when driving down bumpy roads.. when I did wiggle test at switch it would finally malfunction.. Has been awhile since one has done this but pretty sure step light would still come on even though door would not work..

All my electric doors are 2010 and newer, so thinking they might be slightly different setup than the older ones were? but have had to replace quite a few of the dash switches on left panel as they seem to go bad frequently here....along with keeping limit switches in adjustment...

Does your bus have the door switch on left panel or the ones in the steering wheel? my buses that vintage that are air operated have steering wheel mounted switches for door and overhead lights, and when buses were newer, those switches were replaced under recall by IH as they would cause odd isses like overheads coming on while driving 55 down road or inconsistant door operation.. not sure if electric door was available with steering wheel mounted switches or not?.. just a few thoughts...

Edited by - slippert on 09/03/2014 04:26:47 AM
Go to Top of Page

Mechan1c
Top Member

USA
853 Posts

Posted - 09/03/2014 :  10:42:43 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
One other thing you might check is the emergency release switch if you have the 2-wire one to the right of the driver in the cowl are. We have had problems with the wires pulling out at the back of the switch housing. This sounds like the same switch that Slippert is describing above...
Go to Top of Page

slippert
Top Member

USA
630 Posts

Posted - 09/03/2014 :  11:54:49 AM  Show Profile  Click to see slippert's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Now that I read that again and you said the stepwell light stays on constantly...? when door doesn't work..... I would be surprized if it is the body controller myself, as I have that vintage bus with 240,000 and down mileage on them and so far have(fingers crossed) never had to replace a BC.... it has normally been an outside source be it a bad switch or wiring issue as you said... that have caused improper signal to come from Body Controller... I have had shorts in hood wiring cause FET in body controller to trip and make clearance lights on bus flash on and off till wires were repaired.... maybe wiring from BC to door has a rub and short causing it to trip off door curcuit but back feed stepwell light? or visa versa... keep us posted... you may be able to diagnois better if you have Diamond Logic Builder software?...atleast then you could ck your inputs and outputs from BC when problem exists and also when functioning normally

I am going to order a body controller as now that I said what I did above..I probably will need one...lol

Edited by - slippert on 09/03/2014 12:03:22 PM
Go to Top of Page

slippert
Top Member

USA
630 Posts

Posted - 09/03/2014 :  12:01:54 PM  Show Profile  Click to see slippert's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Mechan1c

One other thing you might check is the emergency release switch if you have the 2-wire one to the right of the driver in the cowl are. We have had problems with the wires pulling out at the back of the switch housing. This sounds like the same switch that Slippert is describing above...

Yes... sounds like we are on same page(switch) ,,,,just different parts of the country..lol
Go to Top of Page

mbfromnc

13 Posts

Posted - 09/04/2014 :  06:58:34 AM  Show Profile  Visit mbfromnc's Homepage  Reply with Quote
unplug your harness from the body controller and plug it into the spare port
Go to Top of Page

bwest
Administrator

United States
3820 Posts

Posted - 09/04/2014 :  10:58:51 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Check the adjustment, what I have found on mine was that the switch wasn't being contacted when the door was closed and the motor was still running. After a while the motor heated up and the limiter dropped out. When it cooled down it would come back on. Just a thought.

Bryan
Go to Top of Page

TheRide

107 Posts

Posted - 09/15/2014 :  1:31:49 PM  Show Profile  Visit TheRide's Homepage  Reply with Quote
adjustment seems good, the switched are in the steering wheel. the bus has been back and forth to dealers when it was under warranty but they never could figure it out, they replaced all switches in the steering wheel and relays
Go to Top of Page

TheRide

107 Posts

Posted - 09/15/2014 :  1:36:42 PM  Show Profile  Visit TheRide's Homepage  Reply with Quote
it is and electric door with the release above the door
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:

School Bus Fleet Magazine Forums © 2022 School Bus Fleet Magazine Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.06 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000