Enter Forum: Professional Garage
 Webasto heaters
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

aaronwilmoth80911
Top Member

538 Posts

Posted - 07/30/2014 :  05:14:38 AM  Show Profile  Visit aaronwilmoth80911's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Does anyone on the forum use Webasto heaters? If so, what model? We have the smaller TSL 17 and the bigger Scholastic model and I'm just looking for some of your guys' solutions to some of the common problems.

Bus Tech II

121 Posts

Posted - 07/30/2014 :  09:16:39 AM  Show Profile  Visit Bus Tech II's Homepage  Reply with Quote
We do! They are great, but we do have some common/repeat problems like burners burning out, glow plugs melting...
Go to Top of Page

Cal Mc
Advanced Member

303 Posts

Posted - 08/26/2014 :  9:34:11 PM  Show Profile  Visit Cal Mc's Homepage  Reply with Quote
We use the scholastic 2010 Webasto heaters. Easy diagnostics simple design. Our biggest problem has been the failure of overheat fuses. If you replace the control thermostat with one from a 2020 Webasto, the heater will run a few degrees cooler and reduce fuse failure. The timers have been a problem in the past. They have come out with a new timer that is not supposed to be so sensitive to cold temperatures. The fuel nozzle will have to be changed yearly, the flame detector cleaned and the heat exchanger cleaned out. This is approximately a 1/2 hours work.

They work well for reducing idle times and for extra heat on those ridiculously cold days.
Go to Top of Page

aaronwilmoth80911
Top Member

538 Posts

Posted - 08/27/2014 :  04:41:40 AM  Show Profile  Visit aaronwilmoth80911's Homepage  Reply with Quote
We run a lot of the 2010s as well. When we turn them on for the season, we typically remove the handle for the heater valves so the drivers cannot shut them off. This has helped tremendously with the overheat fuses. We change the fuel nozzles as needed, but not on a regular basis, and do the same for the flame detector. Our biggest problem has been loosing our fuel prime. It seems like we can get them running for a bit, but then it will lose its prime and cannot start again until we fill the filter and run it manually with the test box. We have checked and replaced lines and fittings, filters, check valves, pretty much everything. Have you run into this issue at all? If so, what was your fix?
Go to Top of Page

tigger2
Advanced Member

USA
469 Posts

Posted - 08/27/2014 :  10:49:26 AM  Show Profile  Click to see tigger2's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
The company that put our webasto units in used push-loc connectors like air lines to hook up the fuel lines, pressure o.k. suction not o.k. installed compression fittings problem solved.
Go to Top of Page

Cal Mc
Advanced Member

303 Posts

Posted - 08/27/2014 :  8:20:23 PM  Show Profile  Visit Cal Mc's Homepage  Reply with Quote
We had a few FS65 units with 2010 heaters with the prime problem. We wired in a pulse fuel pump in the fuel line. Pulled the power supply from the circulation pump.
Go to Top of Page

aaronwilmoth80911
Top Member

538 Posts

Posted - 08/28/2014 :  08:19:40 AM  Show Profile  Visit aaronwilmoth80911's Homepage  Reply with Quote
That is exactly what we are thinking of doing Cal Mc. Since you posted this answer, I assume that it worked.
Go to Top of Page

Thomasbus24
Administrator

USA
4544 Posts

Posted - 08/31/2015 :  07:37:22 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Bringing up the dead, hope you guys don't mind.

The IC dealer had a Webasto rep in this morning talking about the Scholastic and "Thermo Top C" units with the "SmarTemp Control FX".

I'm kicking around the idea, particularly for the old CAT engines that can't start when it drops below 50. Maybe for some other stuff.

People still feeling good about these units? Is the laptop diagnostic kit worth having?
Go to Top of Page

Fastback
Top Member

1500 Posts

Posted - 08/31/2015 :  09:31:08 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
We have some Espar units. Our biggest problems have actually been caused by dusty roads. Now I am not talking normal dust, I am talking about miles and miles of roads covered with fresh crushed limestone because of the installation of 107 - 2.3 megawatt wind turbines. Buses come in looking like they have been through the quarry, thick white dust packed into everything. The dust gets ingested by the heaters when they are burning and it packs the combustion air blower fan and fowls the glow pins.

Why yes, the ORIGinal CHARGER is a Fastback

Edited by - Fastback on 08/31/2015 09:32:02 AM
Go to Top of Page

aaronwilmoth80911
Top Member

538 Posts

Posted - 08/31/2015 :  10:02:27 AM  Show Profile  Visit aaronwilmoth80911's Homepage  Reply with Quote
My advise would be to stay away from the Scholastic units. They put out more heat than the Thermo Tops (TSL 17), but they are often times a real pain to keep going. We have lots of problems where they lose prime and if heater valves get shut off, they burn up the thermal fuse and they cost about $20 to replace one. The thermo tops just go into lock out, pull the fuse and reset the unit and it is good to go again. The laptop diagnostic can be very worth it when trying to diagnose why one keeps going into lock out. This does not work on the scholastic units, though. Overall, the thermo tops are pretty decent, but run away from the scholastics. More trouble than what they are worth.
Go to Top of Page

Cal Mc
Advanced Member

303 Posts

Posted - 09/02/2015 :  9:49:07 PM  Show Profile  Visit Cal Mc's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Our first Webasto heaters were tsl17 units. We found them to be a complete waste of time(not enough BTU for supplementary heat in cold temps) We have ordered 2010 Webasto heaters on all large diesel buses since 2006. Have had timer issues and blown overheat fuses.
Go to Top of Page

Thomasbus24
Administrator

USA
4544 Posts

Posted - 09/03/2015 :  02:45:35 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks for the info...not sure what if anything we will do with this. I was just sort of humoring the guy. Last Webastos I had were new 13 years ago, so I am curious about how things have changed for better or worse.
Go to Top of Page

baptistbusman1

USA
175 Posts

Posted - 09/07/2015 :  10:26:31 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
We received some sort of grant a few years ago to equip our entire fleet with Webastos. Forgive me for not remembering the series #, but they were the big yellow ones in the black box.

Total waste of time for buses here in Missouri. Most times they won't fire, the timers mess up and run the battery dead or the drivers will still start their buses and let them run for an hour to warm up. The whole point of doing all of this work was to reduce emissions by cutting down on idle times. Have you seen the smoke that these things put out? Unless you have a fleet in sub zero temperatures, these things are absolute wastes of time. It's disgusting that our government gave out some $20,000 for this project and many others like it around the country.

I was formally Baptistbusman. However, I lost my password, and had not updated my email address.

Here is a link to my old posts. http://www.schoolbusfleet.com/forum/search.asp?mode=DoIt&MEMBER_ID=1846

Edited by - baptistbusman1 on 09/07/2015 10:27:50 AM
Go to Top of Page

aaronwilmoth80911
Top Member

538 Posts

Posted - 09/08/2015 :  10:39:46 AM  Show Profile  Visit aaronwilmoth80911's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Those are the Scholastic units. And yes, they are a complete waste of time and any other resources. The Thermo Tops are much friendlier.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:

School Bus Fleet Magazine Forums © 2022 School Bus Fleet Magazine Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.32 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000