Professional Garage
 Enter Forum: Professional Garage
 Quick poll on air brake backing plates
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

TheRide

107 Posts

Posted - 07/30/2014 :  03:47:01 AM  Show Profile  Visit TheRide's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Wanted a few opinions on leaving the backing plates on or removing them and leaving them off for better inspection. Thanks

busrench

31 Posts

Posted - 07/30/2014 :  03:57:03 AM  Show Profile  Visit busrench's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Up here in snow country, without backing plates the first time the brakes are applied after driving down a snow covered road there is little to no stopping power until the snow melts out of there. I know this because a driver was complaining about intermittent brake loss. So I crawled under there and found the rear backing plates had rusted off. After replacing them the problem was gone.
Go to Top of Page

RidgeLine

29 Posts

Posted - 07/30/2014 :  09:33:46 AM  Show Profile  Visit RidgeLine's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Down here in the deep south snow of course is not an issue. We have a mix of on and off backing plates and I have noticed no difference in wear between the two. The buses run on both paved and unpaved roads. Personaly I like not having the backing plates due to the easy of inspection.
Go to Top of Page

Thomasbus24
Administrator

USA
4544 Posts

Posted - 07/30/2014 :  2:55:09 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
NW Ohio, take em off and throw em in the trash. Easier inspections, no issues experienced. In fact I spec buses to not have them when new.
Go to Top of Page

Mechan1c
Top Member

USA
853 Posts

Posted - 07/31/2014 :  5:00:15 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I used to be a "no backing plate" guy, but the last 60 air brake buses came with them and these buses have had the best brake mileage I've seen in 28 years of doing this. It may be because a lot of the crap stays out?? Maybe it's the Meritor lining.

My mechanics don't have any problems inspecting the lining or the drums, but they can lift them high enough to walk under them also...FWIW
Go to Top of Page

sambrutay
Advanced Member

United States
271 Posts

Posted - 08/13/2014 :  04:02:14 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
State spec here that we have to have them. I would rather not as they are a pain in the butt. We replace them when the rust out. They hold the heat in the brake area. In 2005 we were cooking brake linings on some buses with aggressive drivers with the old MA202 brake linings. Just baking the resin right out of the shoes (we called them fuzzy brakes). International and I believe Bendix or Meritor sent some engineers down to inspect our problems. First thing they recommended was remove backing plates. Unfortunatly not an option here.

Bruce
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:

School Bus Fleet Magazine Forums © 2022 School Bus Fleet Magazine Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.05 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000