Professional Garage
 Enter Forum: Professional Garage
 Vision muffler
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

busrench

31 Posts

Posted - 07/25/2014 :  08:10:18 AM  Show Profile  Visit busrench's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Hi! This is my first post to this very useful forum. I've been fixing cars and light trucks for the past 34 years and have worked at this public school bus garage for a year now. The issue I have now is a muffler on an '08 Blue Bird Vision with a Cummins. The 4 section muffler is rusted to the point where the pressure sensor tube nuts have fallen off and rust has expanded the flanges to the point where the V clamps are busting off. The dealer wants approx. $6000.00 for this unit and the couple of aftermarket companies I checked with don't have this available. 6000.00 is going to take too big a chunk out of my budget! Any ideas where I can find a cheaper unit?

bwest
Administrator

United States
3820 Posts

Posted - 07/25/2014 :  09:00:32 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Have you tried Auto-Jet Muffler? http://mandrelbending-tubefabrication.com/SchoolBus/index.php

Bryan
Go to Top of Page

busrench

31 Posts

Posted - 07/28/2014 :  03:52:39 AM  Show Profile  Visit busrench's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Yep, they were the first company I called.
Go to Top of Page

Tb4020

United States
82 Posts

Posted - 07/28/2014 :  06:10:12 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
You'll have to get it from bird or cummins it's a dpf system you should just be able to buy the end caps and re-use your center (the expensive part).
Go to Top of Page

busrench

31 Posts

Posted - 07/29/2014 :  04:06:07 AM  Show Profile  Visit busrench's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I ended up removing the last 3 sections, brazing 5/16" tube unions where the busted fittings were, cleaning the rust from the gasket surfaces and flange areas (which were half gone) and installing new gaskets and V clamps. This thing hopefully will hold together for a couple more years until somebody makes an affordable replacement.

Thanks for the input!
Go to Top of Page

bwest
Administrator

United States
3820 Posts

Posted - 07/29/2014 :  07:09:34 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by busrench

I ended up removing the last 3 sections, brazing 5/16" tube unions where the busted fittings were, cleaning the rust from the gasket surfaces and flange areas (which were half gone) and installing new gaskets and V clamps. This thing hopefully will hold together for a couple more years until somebody makes an affordable replacement.

Thanks for the input!

That's cool! I hope that works.

Bryan
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:

School Bus Fleet Magazine Forums © 2022 School Bus Fleet Magazine Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.05 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000