04 Freightliner Thomas review and pointers
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Mark23290

United States
96 Posts

Posted - 07/23/2014 :  2:10:10 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
What's the review on a 2004 Freightliner Thomas with a Cat engine air brakes.

Anything to look and watch out for?

aaronwilmoth80911
Top Member

538 Posts

Posted - 07/24/2014 :  10:19:55 AM  Show Profile  Visit aaronwilmoth80911's Homepage  Reply with Quote
We have some 2005 and 2007 models like this, so I doubt there's much of a difference from 2004. Overall, they are pretty good buses. We don't have any major issues with them, but some of the minor issues are the CATs tend to leak just about everywhere, and the exhaust has a bad tendency to rust out and break apart. Worst places are at the hangars behind the rear axle, and the "hump" portion going over the rear axle. I am not in a climate where we have to deal with a lot of mag chloride on the roads either, and almost all of ours (9) have had exhaust components replaced. Just seems like a bad material was used. Other than that, they have their ups and downs just like any other bus. Hope this helps.
Go to Top of Page

bwest
Administrator

United States
3820 Posts

Posted - 07/24/2014 :  1:05:27 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'd agree with aaron, we have two 2004 FS65s with the cat only ours have hyd brakes. One has about 225k on it and the other has 150k or so. These have been very reliable units. The one area I have had trouble with is the body control boards. These things are weak, even my dealer admits it.

Bryan
Go to Top of Page

Thomasbus24
Administrator

USA
4544 Posts

Posted - 07/24/2014 :  1:38:17 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
They were pretty darn good buses. Cat engine isn't the greatest thing in the world, but that's a risk you take with any bus...it could run another 200,000 or another 20 miles. Here's the things I've noticed:

Air brake package came with air ride (unless deleted), check frame rail for cracks at the forward mount of the rear suspension.

Chassis cowl/body cowl separation was common, look for sagging where the two meet. Not sure how bad a fix that is or even if its worth messing with.

Check hood for cracks at hinges.

Check steering shaft u-joints, they were weak.

Power steering reservoir prone to rust out.

Exterior sheet metal rust prone at rear wheels and rear end.

Body cross members rust prone around rear wheels.

Seat back pans prone to separation from frame.
Go to Top of Page

Mark23290

United States
96 Posts

Posted - 07/25/2014 :  09:12:37 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks for the info.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:

School Bus Fleet Magazine Forums © 2022 School Bus Fleet Magazine Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.03 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000