New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

bwest
Administrator

United States
3820 Posts

Posted - 07/22/2014 :  7:52:20 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have found what I believe to be "antique" bus seats. I've only been in this business for 20 years so I never had a bus that the seats without the entire back covered with foam and upholstery. What I have located (not purchased yet) are seats with the exposed metal on the back that have "Blue Bird" embossed in the sheet metal. Can anyone tell me what vintage these are? And I would like to know how plentiful they are.
Thanks

Peter
Top Member

USA
1057 Posts

Posted - 07/22/2014 :  8:10:15 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I remember riding on those in the mid '80s. All of the '84-86 model year buses I drove years later had upholstered backs. Mid-late '70s is the most likely. Blue Bird was using hard plastic seats for awhile in the early '70s and they were very uncomfortable, not to mention the static in winter. We dreamed of sub buses with the metal backs.

Spicer is nicer.
Go to Top of Page

Thomasbus24
Administrator

USA
4544 Posts

Posted - 07/22/2014 :  9:11:19 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
If memory serves, 72 was when "fully padded" seats were required. Prior to that was mostly metal backs.

I've seen metals in 2000s buses not intended for school use. I'll pull out the parts book tomorrow and see if they are still made by bird.
Go to Top of Page

bwest
Administrator

United States
3820 Posts

Posted - 07/23/2014 :  08:12:58 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Thomasbus24

If memory serves, 72 was when "fully padded" seats were required. Prior to that was mostly metal backs.

I've seen metals in 2000s buses not intended for school use. I'll pull out the parts book tomorrow and see if they are still made by bird.

Thanks guys! These have the upholstery is green with white side panels. For a guy who has only seen (or at least remember) a padded seat, these things are really neat. I'd be interested in hearing what you guys think they are worth. I don't think they have the original lets, only solid round stock for support on both sides.

Bryan
Go to Top of Page

Thomasbus24
Administrator

USA
4544 Posts

Posted - 07/23/2014 :  10:16:32 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
No mention of them in parts anymore. Old bus seats are pretty low in value. Scrap value I'd say.
Go to Top of Page

bwest
Administrator

United States
3820 Posts

Posted - 07/23/2014 :  10:19:43 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
OK, I've just never seen any with the company name embossed on it. Wonder how many years they did that?

Bryan
Go to Top of Page

Thomasbus24
Administrator

USA
4544 Posts

Posted - 07/23/2014 :  1:16:05 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I think they all did that (embossed names) at one time. The Superiors I've been on were by far the fanciest.
Go to Top of Page

Thomasbus24
Administrator

USA
4544 Posts

Posted - 07/23/2014 :  1:29:55 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Here's a cool link... You can see Thomas stamped in the one...

http://m.schoolbusfleet.com/blogpost/106824/innovative-display-shows-60-years-of-school-bus-seats
Go to Top of Page

Peter
Top Member

USA
1057 Posts

Posted - 07/23/2014 :  3:32:38 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I've seen Carpenter, Thomas and Blue Bird stamped seats. That was how I first learned that there were different bus manufacturers.

Spicer is nicer.
Go to Top of Page

bwest
Administrator

United States
3820 Posts

Posted - 07/24/2014 :  05:21:21 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Thomasbus24

Here's a cool link... You can see Thomas stamped in the one...

http://m.schoolbusfleet.com/blogpost/106824/innovative-display-shows-60-years-of-school-bus-seats

I remember seeing that story but never thought about the name. The ones I'm looking at are steel not aluminum and it is part of the seat structure not a cover like that one. I'm thinking it has to be pre-'72 but not sure. Would love to see more pictures. In fact, I think I'm on a mission, now, to collect them all (the ones with the name stamped in, that is) lol

Bryan
Go to Top of Page

Sherm
Top Member

USA
621 Posts

Posted - 07/24/2014 :  5:33:32 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I rode quite a few Blue Birds from the 60's as a kid; they were spare buses. The older ones had painted metal seat backs. Circa 1970-72 had unpainted metal seatbacks with an extra roll of padded vinyl along the top. All had green vinyl and had "Blue Bird" stamped in the back.
Go to Top of Page

bwest
Administrator

United States
3820 Posts

Posted - 07/25/2014 :  06:58:05 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Sherm

I rode quite a few Blue Birds from the 60's as a kid; they were spare buses. The older ones had painted metal seat backs. Circa 1970-72 had unpainted metal seatbacks with an extra roll of padded vinyl along the top. All had green vinyl and had "Blue Bird" stamped in the back.

I'm wondering if all the companies followed the same trend in seat construction. What I'm driving at is this; the one you're talking about with the extra roll of vinyl, did it have an aluminum sheet to retain it like was shown in the link above? Second, before the roll were they all made with the back support exposed or did some have a false back with the name on it.

I hope to get these seats acquired and home soon, so I'll take some pictures and post them. There were nine of them and I told the guy I wanted them all but for some reason he sold some on me and now there are only two left.

Bryan
Go to Top of Page

Sherm
Top Member

USA
621 Posts

Posted - 07/25/2014 :  08:13:47 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The extra roll of vinyl was on the top, not the sides; similar to the picture in the link. The metal backs were all exposed. Can't wait to see your pictures if you get them.
Go to Top of Page

bwest
Administrator

United States
3820 Posts

Posted - 08/06/2014 :  2:52:21 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
OK, here's a pic that the guy sent me. He wants $75 each for them. I basically told him he was crazy and offered him $40 for the pair. He told me I was crazy. lol I'm a poor negotiator! I just don't see giving that much so he can sit on them for anther 50 years or whatever. So the next question is do any of you know where a guy could find ones like this closer to my price?

[URL=http://s627.photobucket.com/user/BryanWest/media/Mobile%20Uploads/Bluebirdseatback.jpg.html][/URL]

[URL=http://s627.photobucket.com/user/BryanWest/media/Mobile%20Uploads/BlueBirdSeatside.jpg.html][/URL]

Bryan
Go to Top of Page

Thomasbus24
Administrator

USA
4544 Posts

Posted - 08/06/2014 :  5:45:52 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
$75 each?!?!? He's on crack.
Go to Top of Page

Sherm
Top Member

USA
621 Posts

Posted - 08/07/2014 :  05:19:37 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yep, that's what I remember. I can't imagine there are many of these left. Too bad for you that he knows how badly you want them.

Go to Top of Page

bwest
Administrator

United States
3820 Posts

Posted - 08/07/2014 :  05:59:52 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Sherm

Yep, that's what I remember. I can't imagine there are many of these left. Too bad for you that he knows how badly you want them.

Therein lies the problem! I want them but I'm not stupid. I'd still like to know if there is anyone out there that knows where I can get a couple.

Bryan
Go to Top of Page

Fastback
Top Member

1500 Posts

Posted - 08/07/2014 :  06:12:25 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
One of the issues here is that with good upholstery and 4 legs the seats have value to folks that don't care if they came out of a school bus or say Blue Bird on them. As an example, look at that little green wagon with a seat in the background.

Why yes, the ORIGinal CHARGER is a Fastback

Edited by - Fastback on 08/07/2014 06:15:09 AM
Go to Top of Page

Thomasbus24
Administrator

USA
4544 Posts

Posted - 08/07/2014 :  08:54:22 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I wish today's seat material held up like that.
Go to Top of Page

bwest
Administrator

United States
3820 Posts

Posted - 08/07/2014 :  11:38:56 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Fastback

One of the issues here is that with good upholstery and 4 legs the seats have value to folks that don't care if they came out of a school bus or say Blue Bird on them. As an example, look at that little green wagon with a seat in the background.

I agree, however, I can't see 75 bucks each though. He wouldn't even talk to me after I offered him 40 for the pair. I'm like a dog I guess, I'm already over them (reference "Up" squirrel!). lol If I find some worth the money I'll buy but if I don't it's not going to hurt my feelings at all.

Bryan
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:

School Bus Fleet Magazine Forums © 2022 School Bus Fleet Magazine Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.17 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000