Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Thomasbus24
Administrator

USA
4544 Posts

Posted - 07/09/2014 :  6:22:15 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hope everyone's summers are going well!

I have a 2000 TC2000 with a rotten floor and a bad transmission, but a great engine.

I also have a 2003 TC with a blown engine.

We are going to yank the good engine and put it in the good bus. Anybody ever done a front engine transit engine replacement? This will be my first one (done pushers and conventional). Any advice would be great.

C.HARDY
Advanced Member

354 Posts

Posted - 07/12/2014 :  11:21:12 AM  Show Profile  Click to see C.HARDY's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
a good fork lift...lol. that is going to be a tough job

"Hardybusman"
Go to Top of Page

Thomasbus24
Administrator

USA
4544 Posts

Posted - 07/14/2014 :  05:57:28 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Good forklift I've got. Can't wait to use it **note sarcasm**
Go to Top of Page

Oldiron

23 Posts

Posted - 07/14/2014 :  10:15:24 AM  Show Profile  Visit Oldiron's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Done quite a few of them, probably the most helpful trick is with you're engine hoist chain. Position it so that it is as close to the valve cover as possible. It will hit on the body structure before the engine lifts off the rear mounts if the chain clearance isn't super close to the valve cover. Otherwise it's pretty straight forward. The torque converter bolts can be a pain in the butt. You will need a barring tool if its a Cummins engine to bar the engine around to get to the bolts.
Go to Top of Page

Thomasbus24
Administrator

USA
4544 Posts

Posted - 07/14/2014 :  4:15:44 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
What the heck is a barring tool? I've done about a dozen tranny R&Rs without one. 3208s in pushers were easiest...545/5.9 in EFs the worse!
Go to Top of Page

Oldiron

23 Posts

Posted - 07/15/2014 :  03:18:46 AM  Show Profile  Visit Oldiron's Homepage  Reply with Quote
You can even buy them on Amazon!

http://www.amazon.com/OTC-7471A-Engine-Barring-Cummins/dp/B00063YWUK
Go to Top of Page

Thomasbus24
Administrator

USA
4544 Posts

Posted - 07/15/2014 :  12:21:07 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Oh jeez....that looks too nice for us!
Go to Top of Page

Thomasbus24
Administrator

USA
4544 Posts

Posted - 10/02/2014 :  1:54:18 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Just an update for those interested. We ended up with two bad engines this summer. The original bus was severely overheated and then the twin bus was pumping out out the exhaust (rings shot).

We got a reman for the oil-blower bus and it hit the road again this week. Going to start the original swap we had planned hopefully next week.

It really, honestly wasn't that bad of a job. Pulled the engine and tranny as one, with the transmission jack under the back, engine hoist on the front.

With the running complete engine, new fan clutch, tensioner, belt, alternator, coolant tank and incidentals, we had just over $15K in the job. Considering that this bus is in Amazing condition, new buses are running $95K, and we can't afford new buses, I'm pleased.
Go to Top of Page

C.HARDY
Advanced Member

354 Posts

Posted - 10/06/2014 :  5:12:03 PM  Show Profile  Click to see C.HARDY's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Glad to hear that! Yes refurbing an older bus seems to be the way to go lately.

"Hardybusman"
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:

School Bus Fleet Magazine Forums © 2022 School Bus Fleet Magazine Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.27 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000