7.3L Powerstroke/ Ford van issues
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

BBInt.10
Top Member

USA
1042 Posts

Posted - 07/09/2014 :  11:54:23 AM  Show Profile  Visit BBInt.10's Homepage  Send BBInt.10 an AOL message  Reply with Quote
I've got a 2003 Ford Econoline with the 7.3L Powerstroke. Recently it has been giving me some issues. The speedometer will start jumping around randomly, and when this is happening, it doesn't seem to know what gear to go into as it doesn't know how fast I'm really going, so shifting is erratic and often I find myself in the wrong gear. I've brought it to a shop, and they replaced a speed control sensor. I got it back and it was good for about five days, but then the speedometer started dancing around again. Brought it back to the shop, and they replaced the wiring leading to that sensor. Now, the speedometer seems kind of sluggish (when you are stopped, it is still in the process of falling down to 0 mph, and same thing when accelerating... it takes a bit to catch up to how fast you are actually going). At highway speeds, I noticed a couple of times it will randomly drop 3-4 mph but then pops right back up. At lower speeds, it still randomly dances, and the jumps are greater than 3-4 mph and it affects shifting. I want to stress that it is not jumping around ALL the time... I could be driving for an hour and it seems fine, but then it will start acting up.

Also, around the same time this issue started, the van will randomly stall out. This issue happens even less frequently than the speedometer issue. It could go a week and be fine, and then I'll have a random stall-out. It always restarts easily. Three of the times it happened shortly after I had started the van, and got it moved 20-30'. This last time, I had just gotten off the highway (I had been driving for a good hour), I got to a stop light, was sitting in traffic, and just as I started to move when the light turned green, it died. The shop replaced the crank sensor to try to address this issue, but it still randomly stalls.

Any ideas on either of these issues would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

BJ Henderson
Advanced Member

USA
280 Posts

Posted - 07/16/2014 :  1:54:29 PM  Show Profile  Send BJ Henderson an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Did you check the alternator? Also, check for fuseable links with problems. Sounds like an overheated connector somewhere. It should be able to be traced back from the power side of the transmission.

CMTT,CMAT,CMBT
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:

School Bus Fleet Magazine Forums © 2022 School Bus Fleet Magazine Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.03 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000