New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

dsalinas1939
Top Member

USA
1323 Posts

Posted - 06/12/2014 :  06:38:44 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
ok i have posted this before i just did a inframe rebuild bus starts up and idles great but when u give it throttle it ***** closed the intake hose directly off the valve cover so i figured the intercooler was clogged because there was lots of oil and antifreeze in there the sleeve seals went anyways i sent it out to get cleaned i got it back put it in and still same result now if i run engine with the intake hose of top valve cover there is a huge amount of vaccum i put hand over half the opening and it tries to suck in no correct me if i am wrong but diesels do not create vaccuum any ideas??????

Fastback
Top Member

1500 Posts

Posted - 06/12/2014 :  07:20:06 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Diesels do draw in large quantities of air, check for restriction, if its not the intercooler it has to be somewhere else.

Why yes, the ORIGinal CHARGER is a Fastback
Go to Top of Page

dsalinas1939
Top Member

USA
1323 Posts

Posted - 06/12/2014 :  08:09:10 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
there is not much else the inlet tubes are fine coming off the turbo and into the intake and had the intercooler checked twice
Go to Top of Page

tigger2
Advanced Member

USA
469 Posts

Posted - 06/12/2014 :  08:39:07 AM  Show Profile  Click to see tigger2's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
All of our DT's had a wire spring inside the hose on the intake side, to stop just a similar problem sometimes the spring is missing on new hoses. The newer units had small wire bands around the outside to serve the same purpose.
Go to Top of Page

Fastback
Top Member

1500 Posts

Posted - 06/12/2014 :  08:41:07 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
You're right, not much else, engine to intercooler, intercooler, intercooler to turbo, turbo should provide enough boost to build pressure to engine, turbo to air cleaner.
Seems to me if air cleaner is not clogged and piping and intercooler is not restricted and this engine does not have a throttle blade anywhere then there must be a turbo problem.

Why yes, the ORIGinal CHARGER is a Fastback

Edited by - Fastback on 06/12/2014 08:49:40 AM
Go to Top of Page

dsalinas1939
Top Member

USA
1323 Posts

Posted - 06/12/2014 :  6:54:58 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
good call on the spring in the hose it was not there but also I ended up doing what I didn't want to I took an intercooler from another bus and put it in and everything works good so I cut open the original cooler and it was packed solid with nasty oil and water mix now gotta cal the place I sent it out to and get my money back they told me it was something else they cleaned it twice lesson learned if I have another one blow a sleeve seal its getting a new intercooler
Go to Top of Page

Crown

89 Posts

Posted - 06/17/2014 :  04:55:46 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It doesn't sound like the vendor actually opened it up. When we send ours out they cut the "tanks" off and clean out every passage, then TIG weld everything back together. They also pressure check the entire unit before and after the cleaning process.
Go to Top of Page

dsalinas1939
Top Member

USA
1323 Posts

Posted - 06/26/2014 :  12:03:16 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
yeah they didnt cut it open i called them and yelled at them they credited me back that was good but will have to find aomeone else next time they just dipped it in cleaning solution thats not gonna do anything
Go to Top of Page

Thomasbus24
Administrator

USA
4544 Posts

Posted - 06/26/2014 :  2:05:50 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Just curious about cost (haven't had to do one thankfully). Would it be less money to buy a new cooler?
Go to Top of Page

dsalinas1939
Top Member

USA
1323 Posts

Posted - 07/01/2014 :  06:54:49 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
cant remember think the price was 1200 i no it was over a grand but i think it was 1200 for new one so its definitly worth getting it cleaned if the place u send it todoes a good job
Go to Top of Page

Thomasbus24
Administrator

USA
4544 Posts

Posted - 07/01/2014 :  12:26:13 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Ouch!
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:

School Bus Fleet Magazine Forums © 2022 School Bus Fleet Magazine Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.08 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000