Professional Garage
 Enter Forum: Professional Garage
 1991 DT466 International in remote location in BC
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Joseph_W

3 Posts

Posted - 04/22/2014 :  8:26:24 PM  Show Profile  Visit Joseph_W's Homepage  Reply with Quote
1991 DT466 International in remote location in BC mountains ran out of fuel - need to bleed fuel line.

The School bus was run out of fuel because the fuel gauge was saying full all the time; and because i put it on a angle when repositioning it.
It is still on the same angle as when it stalled: pointing towards the drivers corner; tipped a little to the front and a good 25-30 degrees to the drivers side - which is where the fuel intake hose is – on the bottom of the tank.

I have put 60L of fuel into the engine and it is not starting.
I have some tools; and have just installed a working solar system that is charging the batteries so i have been able to keep trying to start the bus out here

There is a bleeder on top of the large fuel filter(with a slit in the threads of the top bolt that is flat on top) - and two banjo bolts on the injection pump – as you can see in the pictures here:
https://www.dropbox.com/sh/io6a5t56usoudex/ppRNQ8iNbC
(see folders on top for bleeder and banjo bolts)

I have tried to open the fuel filter bleeder by unscrewing the top part of the bleeder 4 turns and the bottom part ˝-3/4 of a turn like a brake bleeder valve- then pumping the little hand pump for 10 minutes – and have cracking the top valves on the engine while pumping for a long time with no success. I have not tried the banjo bolts on the injection pump yet.

When i pump the hand pump it has no resistance .

i ran it out of fuel once before and i was lucky enough to have a friendly neighborhood dump truck driver offer to tow me in gear for 4km - a long time to force the fuel through the lines to bleed it that way; as was his instruction. After all that it was still not starting but started after about 12 cranking revolutions when i cranked the engine in gear to back it up in reverse when the dump truck took a wrong turn close to the remote location it is now. I was able to drive it under its own power for 2k or so to where it is now. It ran out of fuel again on the steep angle when i was repositioning it off the road even though the tank said full. I know i should have had it topped up - i had put 40l in it before when bleeding it the first time and didn’t think it was that low.

Here is some more pics of the engine and bus
https://www.dropbox.com/sh/8rlilcsgcqrx5ke/fOAGFsSF3M

i am thinking of getting this bleeding kit from Australia –
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YC4MbZrvg-c
http://www.austranman.com.au/

but it would be cool if i could get it going without that if possible. – i tried to email them to ask if it would work but no responce in a week... why don’t they build these things with a bleeding suction attachment like hydraulic brakes have? That looks like what the Oz shop invented there- is there anywhere in America that makes that thing or can anyone fabricate one for me and send it to me - i can pay a bit for it if necessary if it works.

is ridiculous that it is so tricky to bleed these things – the dump truck driver who saved me last time said he has 6 big diesels and each one is different and tricky to bleed the fuel line. He just tows them in gear to save time. But in my current situation i cant do that. It is possible that i could level it if it needs to be level – it is leaning a bit forward and 25 or so degrees to the left now as you can see in the pics. It has been there since October of last year and i have to relocate it to a new project site soon.

Also if anyone knows how to fix the fuel guage that would be great too.

Appreciation,
Joseph

Fastback
Top Member

1500 Posts

Posted - 04/23/2014 :  04:40:30 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Do you have any way that you could put 20 psi or so air pressure into the fuel tank filler neck? Back in the day I had a fuel filler cap that was drilled and tapped with a fitting so I could just hook a regulated air pressure hose up to it, was told that's how they primed them on the assembly line when they were built.

Why yes, the ORIGinal CHARGER is a Fastback
Go to Top of Page

shivone

2 Posts

Posted - 04/23/2014 :  05:30:19 AM  Show Profile  Visit shivone's Homepage  Reply with Quote
i had a very small slit in a plactic fuel line right at firewall underdog box behind gas pedel once!
it took us for ever to find it but soon as i put butt connector in line hand pump pulled the fuel right up and had resitance! sounds to me is all you have is loose fitting some where between pump & tank or a little chafed slit like we found and no fuel resitdue would make it show up !
we had to just run our hands & fingers along line till we found little pin hole in middle of wear slit! she would always run a week or so then die some time then run again! real pain in the ass but ran fine after we found that damm little slice with pin hole in line!
good luck!
international only TRUCK left on the road!only the STRONG survive!

KEN S.
Go to Top of Page

Fastback
Top Member

1500 Posts

Posted - 04/23/2014 :  05:44:24 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Could have a damaged line but my fear is that since its been sitting for 6 months in an out of fuel state, that rubber seals and such in the fuel system may have dried out which may be why little primer pump is not getting the job done.

Go to Top of Page

CISDbusman
Advanced Member

306 Posts

Posted - 04/23/2014 :  08:05:47 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Tried the ole gasoline soaked rag trick? I've used it on some stubborn tractors/equipment but never a bus.

Best of luck!!
Go to Top of Page

Joseph_W

3 Posts

Posted - 04/23/2014 :  8:22:52 PM  Show Profile  Visit Joseph_W's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Could have a damaged line but my fear is that since its been sitting for 6 months in an out of fuel state, that rubber seals and such in the fuel system may have dried out which may be why little primer pump is not getting the job done.

----the pump was not doing anything the last time it ran out of diesel either - i filled it up with fuel around 3 months ago so it was only three months - if the seals being dry is why it is not working then they have been like that since before i ran it out the first time.

sounds to me is all you have is loose fitting some where between pump & tank or a little chafed slit like we found and no fuel resitdue would make it show up !

----i can check for that - what is the best way to check? - is it by putting air pressure in the fuel tank - i guess that a loose fitting is a possibility but it was running fine before i ran it out of gas and dosent loose power or stall out when it has gas and is bled properly.

Do you have any way that you could put 20 psi or so air pressure into the fuel tank filler neck? Back in the day I had a fuel filler cap that was drilled and tapped with a fitting so I could just hook a regulated air pressure hose up to it, was told that's how they primed them on the assembly line when they were built.

---- i can see if i can borrow or buy a air compressor to try this- i already tried a bike tire hand pump on the fuel tank with a shirt wrapped in tape to seal it but did not get anything - that was probubly not the best technique.
if i did have a air compressor or pressure in the bleeder hand pump - what valves/banjo bolts or valves would i open while applying the pressure or pumping the hand pump.
how would you suggest i modify the fuel tank or lid to be able to have a good seal when applying air pressure?
i could potentially take off the cap and bring it to a neighbor that has welding equipment - could just get a bike tire fitting or somethign like that - it would have to be fully metal - where do i get that valve? if there is a leak in the line or fitting somewhere i may be able to find it when the air is going through -

is the line for sure breached if the hand pump is getting no resistance in the situations i described?

thanks for everything - joseph
Go to Top of Page

Fastback
Top Member

1500 Posts

Posted - 04/24/2014 :  05:13:59 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I would just loosen the bleeder screw and try applying a little air pressure to fuel tank filler neck, does not have to be an air tight seal or anything fancy, a buddy with a "blow gun" and a rag could do it while u observe bleeder screw.

Go to Top of Page

eshover

146 Posts

Posted - 04/24/2014 :  12:27:14 PM  Show Profile  Visit eshover's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Just take the cap off as was suggested and use the blow gun in the opening. Take the fitting loose before the hand pump and get fuel there first. Then reinstall pipe and open bleed screw on top of the pump and blow in tank again. You should get enough fuel then to make it start. I'm not sure but you may have to loosen fittings on top of the pump or injectors to bleed all the way out. Usually you don't but this will give you an indication if your pump is pushing fuel to injectors.
Ed
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:

School Bus Fleet Magazine Forums © 2022 School Bus Fleet Magazine Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.08 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000