New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

second.flood
Top Member

USA
640 Posts

Posted - 04/14/2014 :  11:02:46 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Just took delivery of 3 new CE's with the Cummins.
Seems like a smooth, quiet engine. The compressor is noisy as hell though.
Is this normal? All three are the same.

Fastback
Top Member

1500 Posts

Posted - 04/14/2014 :  11:06:06 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
We have an ISB Cummins in a C2, yes compressor is noisy.

Why yes, the ORIGinal CHARGER is a Fastback
Go to Top of Page

slippert
Top Member

USA
630 Posts

Posted - 04/14/2014 :  11:35:12 AM  Show Profile  Click to see slippert's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
I have 2-09 birds with 6.7 Cummins and compressors are noisy too...have been since new.. seems to be nature of the beast..
They run well both of my birds have 140,000 plus on them with very little down time for engine problems... pretty sure if and when we get to order new busses that is engine I want to purchase in them.. I just drove an IC demo bus salesman brought up last week, I thought it ran out well, smooth and quiet!!!!
Go to Top of Page

bwest
Administrator

United States
3820 Posts

Posted - 04/14/2014 :  11:58:51 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have bit my tongue for quite a while here but I just couldn't help myself this time. Have you driven a propane unit? They have a corner on the quite market!

Bryan
Go to Top of Page

Fastback
Top Member

1500 Posts

Posted - 04/14/2014 :  12:13:24 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by bwest

I have bit my tongue for quite a while here but I just couldn't help myself this time. Have you driven a propane unit? They have a corner on the quite market!

What does propane have to do with an air brake compressor?

Why yes, the ORIGinal CHARGER is a Fastback
Go to Top of Page

second.flood
Top Member

USA
640 Posts

Posted - 04/15/2014 :  2:42:33 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Bryan,
The autogas Kool-Aid has affected your reading comprehension.
The Cummins engine is very quiet.
We all get it that you are enthusiastic about propane but your preaching is without first hand data to back it up.
I've been around long enough to see several instances of secondary fuel experiments, none have stood the test of time.
Write a thread ten years out, about more than one unit, and we'll talk.
In 20 years you might be able to say "told ya so!"
I'll be in a cabin in the woods enjoying retirement and won't hear you though....

Scott

quote:

Go to Top of Page

C.HARDY
Advanced Member

354 Posts

Posted - 04/15/2014 :  5:34:36 PM  Show Profile  Click to see C.HARDY's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
I noticed too the Propane unit is not available with air brakes. Our school is looking at them but the scarse fuel sites is a concern.

"Hardybusman"
Go to Top of Page

bluebirdvision
Top Member

USA
1081 Posts

Posted - 04/15/2014 :  5:47:04 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
They are available with air brakes, I just delivered one to a school district.

Facebook Page: Blue Bird Corporation Fans
https://www.facebook.com/home.php?sk=group_212311114614&ap=1

Edited by - bluebirdvision on 04/15/2014 5:47:19 PM
Go to Top of Page

eshover

146 Posts

Posted - 04/16/2014 :  08:11:20 AM  Show Profile  Visit eshover's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Yes the Cummins are quiet and the compressors are noisy but the Ford V10 air compressors are also noisy. Although, you can barely hear the engine running in our BBCV V10 LP.

Not trying to steal a thread but Bryan what is your MPG and distance you can go on a tank of LP on your buses? And how many do you have?
Go to Top of Page

bwest
Administrator

United States
3820 Posts

Posted - 04/16/2014 :  09:48:12 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I've got two units (our whole fleet is only 17). Just took delivery on the newest one a few weeks ago. Just had a trip that was 235 miles with the new one yesterday and I'm a little disappointed because it is getting about the same as the old unit which is 4.5 mpg (38 cents per mile). At that rate it should have a range of at least 350 miles. It's hard to talk propane with these guys that breath diesel fumes all day (wink, wink) but my drivers love them. If you ever get a driver in one he won't want to go back. If you want to start a new thread, I'm game. That away these guys can avoid it if they want. lol

Bryan
Go to Top of Page

second.flood
Top Member

USA
640 Posts

Posted - 04/16/2014 :  11:00:05 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Where do you fuel your propane?
Go to Top of Page

bus a groove

70 Posts

Posted - 04/16/2014 :  12:10:10 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
start a new thread im interested in propane just not fully convinced to pull the trigger yet
quote:

I've got two units (our whole fleet is only 17). Just took delivery on the newest one a few weeks ago. Just had a trip that was 235 miles with the new one yesterday and I'm a little disappointed because it is getting about the same as the old unit which is 4.5 mpg (38 cents per mile). At that rate it should have a range of at least 350 miles. It's hard to talk propane with these guys that breath diesel fumes all day (wink, wink) but my drivers love them. If you ever get a driver in one he won't want to go back. If you want to start a new thread, I'm game. That away these guys can avoid it if they want. lol

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:

School Bus Fleet Magazine Forums © 2022 School Bus Fleet Magazine Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.12 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000