Professional Garage
 Enter Forum: Professional Garage
 EGR dt466 no power
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Bus Tech II

121 Posts

Posted - 04/10/2014 :  03:54:03 AM  Show Profile  Visit Bus Tech II's Homepage  Reply with Quote
2004 dt466 with EGR. Replaced turbo due to binding in the vane part of turbo and actuator hammering during pre cycle. Now bus still has no power on take off with 1-3 lbs of boost.This thing cant get out of its own way. New EGR valve, new back pressure sensor and tube unrestricted. 5v and good ground at EBP, .04 resistance from ECM to EBP. Voltage and ground good at turbo actuator (load tested. MAP not face plugged, new air filter. New fuel filter with 60-70 lbs fuel pressure. I can usualy figure these thing out but this one is getting me pretty good. Any ideas????

grandyc

United States
58 Posts

Posted - 04/10/2014 :  08:18:02 AM  Show Profile  Visit grandyc's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Did the VGT come with the new turbo? if so does it cycle when u turn the key on?
Go to Top of Page

grandyc

United States
58 Posts

Posted - 04/10/2014 :  08:24:19 AM  Show Profile  Visit grandyc's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Sorry i meant turbo actuator. Does it cycle once with the key on?
Go to Top of Page

second.flood
Top Member

USA
640 Posts

Posted - 04/10/2014 :  08:36:56 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
How many miles/hours?
Go to Top of Page

Dvorak

United States
95 Posts

Posted - 04/10/2014 :  08:59:07 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
If not already done, check boost with a manual gauge and compare readings with the MAP sensor. I've had bad MAP sensors cause this exact issue.
Go to Top of Page

Bus Tech II

121 Posts

Posted - 04/10/2014 :  09:49:35 AM  Show Profile  Visit Bus Tech II's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Yes, the actator works on the new one. I actually went back throught the turbo diagnostics form again with the new one. The MAP is the only thing I didnt change but did check the electrical side of it. Guess I'll be changing the MAP tonight, Thanks!
Go to Top of Page

grandyc

United States
58 Posts

Posted - 04/10/2014 :  10:05:53 AM  Show Profile  Visit grandyc's Homepage  Reply with Quote
The Map sensor is a good posibility but make sure you don't have a leak in the induction system. Pressure test the CAC if u have the tool. There is also the possibilty the ITV is stuck check the duty cycle with the Lap Top. Do all the Air management test.
Go to Top of Page

Bus Tech II

121 Posts

Posted - 04/11/2014 :  05:03:36 AM  Show Profile  Visit Bus Tech II's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Well, I put a new map sensor in and no luck, This engine doesn't have a ITV. So now the only 2 thing are bad new reman turbo or ECM. Air management test fail for EBP too low
Go to Top of Page

grandyc

United States
58 Posts

Posted - 04/11/2014 :  10:12:49 AM  Show Profile  Visit grandyc's Homepage  Reply with Quote
What Codes if any do you have?
Go to Top of Page

barser

9 Posts

Posted - 04/12/2014 :  02:57:31 AM  Show Profile  Visit barser's Homepage  Reply with Quote
have you checked for plugged exhaust
Go to Top of Page

Bus Tech II

121 Posts

Posted - 04/12/2014 :  5:01:11 PM  Show Profile  Visit Bus Tech II's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Ok, I got to spend some quality time with my problem child today. This bus is not creating boost and the back pressure is way low. It does have a new turbo, Back pressure sensor, MAP sensor, EGR valve. all sensors have good 5v ref, and grounds. Turbo actuator has good 12v and ground even under load. The signal wires from sensors to ECM .4 resistance. drove with air filter out and exhaust down and still no change. No leak in CAC anywhere. So, with that said, in my mind I either have a bad reman turbo or bad ECM. Now the tricky part, how do you tell the dealer you have a bad new reman turbo haha.
Go to Top of Page

Bus Tech II

121 Posts

Posted - 04/12/2014 :  5:03:19 PM  Show Profile  Visit Bus Tech II's Homepage  Reply with Quote
The codes I get are EBP out of range low. During AM test I get VGT under duty
Go to Top of Page

JoeHEB1
Advanced Member

498 Posts

Posted - 04/23/2014 :  11:39:27 AM  Show Profile  Visit JoeHEB1's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Did your turbo act this way? See video. I had the same problem, I haven't mounted the turbo back on yet. I also had the same codes you mentioned.
http://www.schoolbusfleet.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=37428
Go to Top of Page

Bus Tech II

121 Posts

Posted - 04/23/2014 :  4:42:14 PM  Show Profile  Visit Bus Tech II's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Sorry for the delay, but as I thought the turbo actuator on the reman turbo was bad.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:

School Bus Fleet Magazine Forums © 2022 School Bus Fleet Magazine Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.11 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000