Enter Forum: Professional Garage
 How do I adjust this model slacks
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

DougBier

78 Posts

Posted - 04/04/2014 :  10:18:59 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I am working on a TC 2000 with drum air brakes . When I went to back the shoes off to remove the drums I couldn't figure how to back the brakes off . These automatic slack adjusters are new to me . They are automatic but have no external pawl to release and i need to use a 9/16 wrench to adjust . I can turn bolt one way to tighten but can't release . What do I have and how do I back things off .

Crown

89 Posts

Posted - 04/05/2014 :  10:29:35 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
At the very least you need to figure out what type they are and read up on how to work with them. Manufactures are more than willing to provide this information. The reason you need to be familiar with them is that you will probably be the one putting the brakes back together and checking them in the future. Not all auto-slacks are adjusted the same way. They can also eventually stop auto-adjusting or even loosen up, and you need to be able to spot that and work with it. You should not be working on the brakes until you are familiar with all the components.
Go to Top of Page

DougBier

78 Posts

Posted - 04/06/2014 :  08:54:41 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I found out what king of slack adjuster I have .It's a bendix asa 5 I can rotate bolt one way but wonder if I can rotate the bolt mechanism the other without damaging the adjusting mechanism
Go to Top of Page

Winn10

49 Posts

Posted - 04/06/2014 :  10:12:06 AM  Show Profile  Visit Winn10's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by DougBier

I found out what king of slack adjuster I have .It's a bendix asa 5 I can rotate bolt one way but wonder if I can rotate the bolt mechanism the other without damaging the adjusting mechanism

that particular slack is a bear to back off, just use a much longer wrench or ratchet to back it off. you wont damage the slacks adjuster.
Go to Top of Page

C.HARDY
Advanced Member

354 Posts

Posted - 04/08/2014 :  3:10:41 PM  Show Profile  Click to see C.HARDY's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
My fords are the same way. tighten them up and pull hard to back off.

"Hardybusman"
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:

School Bus Fleet Magazine Forums © 2022 School Bus Fleet Magazine Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.06 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000