Professional Garage
 Enter Forum: Professional Garage
 08 maxforce DT excessive smoke
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

mhernandez73

124 Posts

Posted - 03/27/2014 :  05:02:27 AM  Show Profile  Visit mhernandez73's Homepage  Reply with Quote
removed doc and dpf and had cleaned problem still there. any help or direction would b appreciated Thank You in advance..

JoeHEB1
Advanced Member

498 Posts

Posted - 03/27/2014 :  05:08:04 AM  Show Profile  Visit JoeHEB1's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Try replacing the EGR valve, it fixed my smoking issue.
Go to Top of Page

mhernandez73

124 Posts

Posted - 03/27/2014 :  06:18:52 AM  Show Profile  Visit mhernandez73's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Thanks JoeHEB1
Go to Top of Page

mhernandez73

124 Posts

Posted - 04/01/2014 :  03:58:36 AM  Show Profile  Visit mhernandez73's Homepage  Reply with Quote
update:replaced EGR, problem still there. checked and cleaned doc and dpf again.
Go to Top of Page

Troy87

United States
52 Posts

Posted - 04/01/2014 :  04:38:04 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Clean/Replace EBP sensor and clean the tube running to the exhaust manifold. Are you losing coolant? Could have an EGR cooler leaking. You may be running into the problem all the other INTL's have..... fuel injectors.
Go to Top of Page

JoeHEB1
Advanced Member

498 Posts

Posted - 04/01/2014 :  06:37:42 AM  Show Profile  Visit JoeHEB1's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I agree with Troy87, I just replaced injectors on a VT365 for smoking.
Go to Top of Page

Bassman
Top Member

USA
558 Posts

Posted - 04/02/2014 :  10:04:30 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Did you have the DPF cleaned using an FSX machine with a good operator. Those things need to be right to fix the smoking. Also, is your oil level overfull? Also check the two sensors in the intake....one is a Intake Air temp and the other is Manifold air pressure sensor. We have been having a problem with one clogging and one burning up.
Go to Top of Page

slippert
Top Member

USA
630 Posts

Posted - 04/02/2014 :  12:50:01 PM  Show Profile  Click to see slippert's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
I had DOC's replaced on my 08's (after numerous cleanings)....to get rid of smoking issues, making oil , etc... last summer,,,IH ended up covering cost for mine out of warranty after many calls and complaints, since they had been trying to fix problem for many months before while still in warranty...

Knock on wood!!! for the first time in two years they have run without issue all yr long so far!!!

Edited by - slippert on 04/02/2014 12:52:39 PM
Go to Top of Page

JoeHEB1
Advanced Member

498 Posts

Posted - 04/02/2014 :  1:07:47 PM  Show Profile  Visit JoeHEB1's Homepage  Reply with Quote
@slippert I have an 08 making oil but never had the DPF cleaned. I'll have it cooked and cleaned to see if it quits making oil. Is it five year warranty on emmision? If it is I'm out of luck if that doesn't work.
Go to Top of Page

slippert
Top Member

USA
630 Posts

Posted - 04/03/2014 :  04:35:22 AM  Show Profile  Click to see slippert's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
IH...(keep in mind this was after many months and parts(injectors,sensors, cleaning exhaust filters) thrown at bus by them) finally came up with saying the DOC on the buses were BAD not getting hot enough and causing system to not clean itself properly during regens while driving...thus causing engine to want to constantly try to regen itself, thus washing excess fuel down cyl's into crankcase...

Never seemed to make a difference on mine having doc and/or dpf cleaned.. only after replacement of doc's did they quit making oil and smoking

As far as warranty, IH seems kind of wishy-washy...The cleaning is definitely not... parts should be at least the 5yrs....
May depend a lot, I think on your dealer... My dealer seemed to do everything they could to get parts and labor covered even after my buses were out of warranty.. or maybe they have to cover parts longer per gov't rules?

I am pretty sure a few yrs ago I had heard that on cars and pickups most emission parts are covered longer than standard warranty because feds make manufacture do that.. they just don't really speak of it til you ask...lol
Go to Top of Page

mhernandez73

124 Posts

Posted - 04/03/2014 :  06:27:47 AM  Show Profile  Visit mhernandez73's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Thanks a bunch guys. looking at history it had a problem making oil. having a pm done on it to make sure oil quality is good, gonna check MAT,MAF sensors after injectors. Thanks again ill update asap
Go to Top of Page

mhernandez73

124 Posts

Posted - 04/03/2014 :  06:29:48 AM  Show Profile  Visit mhernandez73's Homepage  Reply with Quote
to tell you the truth i dont know wht or who cleans them soi will try to find out thx!!
quote:
Originally posted by slippert

I had DOC's replaced on my 08's (after numerous cleanings)....to get rid of smoking issues, making oil , etc... last summer,,,IH ended up covering cost for mine out of warranty after many calls and complaints, since they had been trying to fix problem for many months before while still in warranty...

Knock on wood!!! for the first time in two years they have run without issue all yr long so far!!!

Go to Top of Page

Brad Barker
Administrator

USA
874 Posts

Posted - 04/06/2014 :  2:31:55 PM  Show Profile  Click to see Brad Barker's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
smoking can also be caused by a fault, dirty or plugged down stream injector

Brad A. Barker
Go to Top of Page

Bassman
Top Member

USA
558 Posts

Posted - 04/07/2014 :  03:31:34 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
If it is an 08, it shouldn't have a downstream injector. The in cyl dosing has caused the most problems. Our 2010 emissions MF DT have the downstream and it is much better.
Go to Top of Page

mhernandez73

124 Posts

Posted - 04/07/2014 :  05:46:14 AM  Show Profile  Visit mhernandez73's Homepage  Reply with Quote
we have a few 2010 with downstream injector. tsb on that injector gasket or something like that.no trouble with them so far.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:

School Bus Fleet Magazine Forums © 2022 School Bus Fleet Magazine Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.16 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000