New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

1983ChevroletWayne

Canada
173 Posts

Posted - 03/25/2014 :  5:57:53 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hey guys,

We have a 2008 IC/CE here that has constant electrical problems since last fall. I'm thinking the bus needs to be reprogrammed, but what do you think?

Here are the symptoms:

- Bus runs after key shut to off position (for about 2 minutes)

- Cluster stays powered (and illuminated) after bus is shut down (with park brake & ABS illuminated)- Two Way radio stays powered as well

- Cluster only sweeps water & fuel gauge on start-up

- Leave no student behind system will not function when bus is shut down (after the route).

- Leave no student behind system randomly activates itself through out the day when nobody is around(honking and flashing headlights).

The IDM relay and ECM relay have been replaced. Wiring on firewall looks good. Both body solinoids have been replaced. Key switch has been replaced a few times. wiring in the left panel looks good (on the solinoids). Fuses in the left panel are all good. Have tapped on all the relays in the panel with a screwdriver and the bus will not power down.

In order for the dash not to kill the batteries overnight, we pull the 15amp cluster fuse out of the panel, and plug it back in in the morning.

It seems that there is major back feeding coming from somewhere but we can't figure out where.

Any ideas?

bus a groove

70 Posts

Posted - 03/26/2014 :  07:12:22 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Just an educated guess I would assume your having issues with the body control module. Also kinda sounds like water or corrosion issues.
Go to Top of Page

Thomasbus24
Administrator

USA
4544 Posts

Posted - 03/26/2014 :  08:38:07 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Have ALL of he grounds been disassembled, cleaned, reassembled and sealed? None of these buses can handle a dirty ground...makes them do all sorts of goofy things.
Go to Top of Page

BJ Henderson
Advanced Member

USA
280 Posts

Posted - 03/26/2014 :  10:00:59 AM  Show Profile  Send BJ Henderson an AOL message  Reply with Quote
I found on our BE 200s that the panel door didn't seal well. This resulted in some corrosion in the fuse panels causing all kinds of strange electron action!

It does not take a lot of corrosion.

Please keep us posted when you find the fix :)

CMTT,CMAT,CMBT
Go to Top of Page

second.flood
Top Member

USA
640 Posts

Posted - 03/26/2014 :  11:42:41 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Exactly.
We started screwing the door closed to keep a tight seal.

quote:
Originally posted by BJ Henderson

I found on our BE 200s that the panel door didn't seal well. This resulted in some corrosion in the fuse panels causing all kinds of strange electron action!

It does not take a lot of corrosion.

Please keep us posted when you find the fix :)

Go to Top of Page

Farmridge

51 Posts

Posted - 03/27/2014 :  12:08:48 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
We have had issues similar to what your are describing and what I have found is the entire fuse and relay panel was loosing it's ground. I made a ground jumper wire from the panel to the body.
Also check your starter ground wires, that can cause the same thing.

If you can't handle the answer, don't ask the question
Go to Top of Page

1983ChevroletWayne

Canada
173 Posts

Posted - 04/14/2014 :  08:19:42 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Both the ignition relays (#1 and #2) were replaced in the side panel, and the bus hasn't acted up since! Hopefully this may help someone else down the road!

Thanks everybody for the help!

Formerly "83ChevroletWayne"

Pic courtesy of: "schoolbusdriver.org"
Go to Top of Page

CISDbusman
Advanced Member

306 Posts

Posted - 04/15/2014 :  04:24:46 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
My 08 did just the opposite in a sense. I figured out one of the solenoids in the side panel was freezing (literally)in the open contact position. I removed the offending solenoid and set it on the shop heater for a day then gave it a good coat of spray can undercoat and its been working like a champ ever since.

Sealing the access door on the side of these things is critical. They also need a rubber or plastic flap over all the electrics.
Go to Top of Page

1stLtDan

USA
13 Posts

Posted - 04/18/2014 :  07:22:50 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Just so you are aware - Maxx Force engine units we received a few years back had been to shop several times under warranty for electrical issues. Finaly I got tired of sending it and ran the electrical circuits myself. Up under dash where feed wires come in to the module by entrance door was loose - real loose. Tightened the lock nut down and have not had any issues since. Dan - Indiana
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:

School Bus Fleet Magazine Forums © 2022 School Bus Fleet Magazine Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.08 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000