Professional Garage
 Enter Forum: Professional Garage
 VT365 Overheating
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Wrench Man

1 Posts

Posted - 03/24/2013 :  10:30:36 AM  Show Profile  Visit Wrench Man's Homepage  Reply with Quote
We are having a problem with a 2007 International VT365 that overheats on a long pull. It will peg the temp guage and burb water from the surge tank.It will cool back down to normal operating temperture within a minute. This may only happen one time a day and run and operate correctly the rest of the time. EGR cooler has been replaced along with: oil cooler,thermostat,water pump,cap and fan clutch. This is a problem currently on three vehicles. Has anyone else had this problem?
We have now replaced radiator with new but are still having the same problem.

Edited by - Wrench Man on 04/02/2013 1:17:58 PM

Bassman
Top Member

USA
558 Posts

Posted - 03/24/2013 :  1:41:30 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
VT365 Radiators clog from the top down causing the fan clutch to not kick in due to the airflow through the radiator being too cool. Test it this way....pull a long hill flat out and pull over to the side of the road and get out and feel the top 3 inches of the radiator fins through the grill with your fingers. If they are cool, your radiator has restricted tubes at the top. Our radiator company can only clean a low percentage of them. You can get cheaper replacements aftermarket than through IH. I am not sure of the part number.
Go to Top of Page

IBTMech
Top Member

USA
973 Posts

Posted - 03/25/2013 :  6:23:18 PM  Show Profile  Visit IBTMech's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Punch the IH part number into NAPA Prolink and see what's available. I've bought radiators for 3800s from them at half the cost.

If it doesn't fit, FORCE it.
If it breaks, well, it needed replacing anyway.
Pullin' wrenches for 45 years.
Go to Top of Page

mastertech
Advanced Member

274 Posts

Posted - 11/22/2013 :  09:01:27 AM  Show Profile  Visit mastertech's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I have pretty much the same bus with the same problem. Did you ever figure it out? Ive replaced everything you did. Ive also noticed it heats up much faster than any other bus. The thermostat housing and water pump housing itself will be at 180 degrees but if you check the block with infrared gun it will be 230 just inches away. The oil will also be extremely hot like around 275 and coolant will not flow through the heater hoses. Its like the water pump is just not turning. The impellar is tight on the shaft. Its gotten progressively worse . Before it would overheat on the first opening of the thermostat and run fine the rest of the day but not it just keeps climbing. Coolant level is normal.
Go to Top of Page

bwest
Administrator

United States
3820 Posts

Posted - 11/22/2013 :  10:55:42 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by mastertech

I have pretty much the same bus with the same problem. Did you ever figure it out? Ive replaced everything you did. Ive also noticed it heats up much faster than any other bus. The thermostat housing and water pump housing itself will be at 180 degrees but if you check the block with infrared gun it will be 230 just inches away. The oil will also be extremely hot like around 275 and coolant will not flow through the heater hoses. Its like the water pump is just not turning. The impellar is tight on the shaft. Its gotten progressively worse . Before it would overheat on the first opening of the thermostat and run fine the rest of the day but not it just keeps climbing. Coolant level is normal.

I missed this one back in march. I was thinking the same thing as you, that being the water pump. There has to be a restriction somewhere. Inlet to the water pump clear?

Bryan
Go to Top of Page

mastertech
Advanced Member

274 Posts

Posted - 11/22/2013 :  2:09:35 PM  Show Profile  Visit mastertech's Homepage  Reply with Quote
This is the only vt365 Ive ever dealt with that didnt have the uptime installed way back when. It has had a series of overheating events from a head gasket failure and several blown egr coolers. I did arp head studs about a year and a half ago along with the uptime. I had the heads resurfaced and pressure tested back then. I was hoping it was a bad water pump but its tight as can be. My money is on a crack in the heads or leaking compression into an injector cup or something. I wish I would have put a gauge in the deareation hose before taking the front cover off. I see a pair of heads in the immediate future.
Go to Top of Page

bwest
Administrator

United States
3820 Posts

Posted - 11/22/2013 :  5:28:37 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by mastertech

This is the only vt365 Ive ever dealt with that didnt have the uptime installed way back when. It has had a series of overheating events from a head gasket failure and several blown egr coolers. I did arp head studs about a year and a half ago along with the uptime. I had the heads resurfaced and pressure tested back then. I was hoping it was a bad water pump but its tight as can be. My money is on a crack in the heads or leaking compression into an injector cup or something. I wish I would have put a gauge in the deareation hose before taking the front cover off. I see a pair of heads in the immediate future.

Or trade.

Bryan
Go to Top of Page

toolmantin

2 Posts

Posted - 03/06/2015 :  1:13:55 PM  Show Profile  Visit toolmantin's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Bassman

VT365 Radiators clog from the top down causing the fan clutch to not kick in due to the airflow through the radiator being too cool. Test it this way....pull a long hill flat out and pull over to the side of the road and get out and feel the top 3 inches of the radiator fins through the grill with your fingers. If they are cool, your radiator has restricted tubes at the top. Our radiator company can only clean a low percentage of them. You can get cheaper replacements aftermarket than through IH. I am not sure of the part number.

Go to Top of Page

toolmantin

2 Posts

Posted - 03/06/2015 :  1:18:36 PM  Show Profile  Visit toolmantin's Homepage  Reply with Quote
im new here and having the same issue ,what ever did you do to fix it,
this truck I have found out is ok at -10c and above I have spent 40 hrs on it and app 500k in test drives
new rad ,fan hub,thermostat 10lb cap
and by the way its been doing it for a year now
so I don't think there is a head gasket problem
Go to Top of Page

mastertech
Advanced Member

274 Posts

Posted - 03/08/2015 :  09:33:31 AM  Show Profile  Visit mastertech's Homepage  Reply with Quote
If it never had the head bolts replaced and retorqued Id say the head gaskets are out. Do the running full load pressure test on the cooling system and it will show if they are bad .
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:

School Bus Fleet Magazine Forums © 2022 School Bus Fleet Magazine Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.08 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000