New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

dsalinas1939
Top Member

USA
1323 Posts

Posted - 11/21/2011 :  11:10:33 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
i have a 99 international 444e has NO! power i replaced two injectors cause they failed test but still no power turbo is only a year old so i dont think that could be it any ideas or a direction

Bassman
Top Member

USA
558 Posts

Posted - 11/21/2011 :  11:12:15 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Check CAC (charge air cooler) system thoroughly for leaks.

Edited by - Bassman on 11/21/2011 11:13:45 AM
Go to Top of Page

dsalinas1939
Top Member

USA
1323 Posts

Posted - 11/21/2011 :  11:23:14 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
i did that all hoses are tight and i see no leaks i get 6 psi of boost wide open throttle
Go to Top of Page

tigger2
Advanced Member

USA
469 Posts

Posted - 11/21/2011 :  12:53:09 PM  Show Profile  Click to see tigger2's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
If all engine parameters look good, Batt volts at ecm and cab, icp pressure, boost, no active codes no inactive cam pos. sensor codes. If you have an automatic trans you may want to look in that direction,oil smell o.k. look o.k. perform stall test.
Go to Top of Page

Fastback
Top Member

1500 Posts

Posted - 11/21/2011 :  1:00:57 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Also check for excessive exhaust back pressure, intake restrction and low fuel pressure

Why yes, the ORIGinal CHARGER is a Fastback
Go to Top of Page

AmTran_Buses

USA
35 Posts

Posted - 11/22/2011 :  3:11:32 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
We have a 1999 Thomas International with a T444E engine. It has been bogging down in power, will stall, but will restart right back. This has only happened a few times (just got the bus in August, we have to buy our own buses and they can't exceed 15 years old) and it was suggested on here we check the CPS.

Not trying to hijack, but the bus has a huge ATTENTION sticker on the dash saying it contains a "field test" engine. What does that mean?
Go to Top of Page

tigger2
Advanced Member

USA
469 Posts

Posted - 11/23/2011 :  04:46:45 AM  Show Profile  Click to see tigger2's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
The earlier T444's had a problem with the connections in the battery compartment comming loose check the tightness of the nuts on the battery terminals. Some were built with small gauge jumper wires and leads to the engine. That when started would jump like a frogs leg and loosen the connections at the batery, causing an intermittant low power to the ecm.
Go to Top of Page

dsalinas1939
Top Member

USA
1323 Posts

Posted - 11/23/2011 :  08:32:21 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
it only has six psi of boost at fuel throttle all turbo hoses where tight found no leaks i replaced the map sensor thought it might not be reading right the fuel pressure bounces all over the place but i came into work today and i see a huge puddle under bus looks like its coming from valley anyone had lift pump go bad on this motor not to familiar with it only have one of theses buses
Go to Top of Page

Fastback
Top Member

1500 Posts

Posted - 11/23/2011 :  09:28:52 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yes the lift pumps can and do go bad. If you replace it be sure to follow proper procedure so the pushrod does not fall into the crankcase.

Go to Top of Page

willism
Advanced Member

United States
250 Posts

Posted - 11/23/2011 :  11:25:06 AM  Show Profile  Visit willism's Homepage  Reply with Quote
And also adding to what fastback said get new hoses that couple to the filter housing and the line from the lift pump to the head. If you need part numbers let me know I keep all that stuff on the shelf.
Go to Top of Page

IBTMech
Top Member

USA
973 Posts

Posted - 11/23/2011 :  5:27:10 PM  Show Profile  Visit IBTMech's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Yep, there's a weep hole on that lift pump right where it's impossible to see it. Replace all hoses involved while you're there and, as Fastback pointed out, mind that pushrod.

Six psi boost pressure at full load is very low. Fast idle no load pressure is not conclusive. You have a restriction somewhere or that turbo is bad. If it has a wastegate, make sure it's free. As stated earlier, check intake and exhaust sides thoroughly. I'm not sure what spec is but it's probably around 26 psi.

If it doesn't fit, FORCE it.
If it breaks, well, it needed replacing anyway.
Pullin' wrenches for 45 years.

Edited by - IBTMech on 11/23/2011 5:34:38 PM
Go to Top of Page

Wolf0r
Top Member

USA
2181 Posts

Posted - 11/29/2011 :  08:52:23 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Fastback

Yes the lift pumps can and do go bad. If you replace it be sure to follow proper procedure so the pushrod does not fall into the crankcase.

A very handy piece of information Fastback!

“The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it.”
Neil deGrasse Tyson
Go to Top of Page

C.HARDY
Advanced Member

354 Posts

Posted - 11/30/2011 :  2:06:05 PM  Show Profile  Click to see C.HARDY's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Love putting on those pumps.. lol....the only time working on a Vista is easy.

"Hardybusman"
Go to Top of Page

dsalinas1939
Top Member

USA
1323 Posts

Posted - 12/03/2011 :  06:49:23 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
part numbers would be good want to replave everything but not sure what i need so if u no what i will need names and numbers would be great
Go to Top of Page

ltrain2010

7 Posts

Posted - 12/04/2011 :  01:21:06 AM  Show Profile  Visit ltrain2010's Homepage  Reply with Quote
When you say no power, do you mean the engine won't turn over or crank, or is it just very slow as far as acceleration goes? I know on some of the 444e's I've driven it takes awhile for the engine to warm up before it will go "normally". Sometimes as it's warming up I will shift into 3rd when I'm going below 35 mph.
Go to Top of Page

texczech

7 Posts

Posted - 12/07/2011 :  05:29:01 AM  Show Profile  Visit texczech's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I am having a problem like yours- a lack of power. I think 6 pounds of boost is low- how are you or anyone able to get a maximum boost pressure? My 99 has no wastegate to worry about. I have heard that the exhaust can leak and cause the turbo not to get the proper amount of exhaust to drive it. I don't have any codes at all. I am going to replace the pressure sensor and try it again today . Any tips on this low power issue when the fuel systems to be good and other systems need to be diagnosed- like the turbo.
Go to Top of Page

Derbybug

USA
59 Posts

Posted - 12/07/2011 :  06:18:47 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Have you checked the turbo feed tubes? If these are leaking, the turbo will not operate as it is supposed to. You most likely will hear a hissing noise when accelerating or under a load. Also check your exhaust back pressure (EBP) sensor and tubing for being clogged. They directly affect the turbo as well.

Safety in all things, always!
Go to Top of Page

texczech

7 Posts

Posted - 12/07/2011 :  10:02:05 AM  Show Profile  Visit texczech's Homepage  Reply with Quote
No ebp sensor on this vehicle that I can see. I can only read the "MAP" sensor that is mounted on the intake before the turboed air enters the intake. I can feel air leaking from those turbo tubes, and see some water spots developing and dripping out of them. I can't really hear a leak by ear, but I'm sure that with a hose held to my ear I am sure that I would be able to hear it. Question is--- how much(if any) leakage is acceptable from those exhaust connections?
Go to Top of Page

Fastback
Top Member

1500 Posts

Posted - 12/08/2011 :  12:02:32 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by texczech

No ebp sensor on this vehicle that I can see. I can only read the "MAP" sensor that is mounted on the intake before the turboed air enters the intake. I can feel air leaking from those turbo tubes, and see some water spots developing and dripping out of them. I can't really hear a leak by ear, but I'm sure that with a hose held to my ear I am sure that I would be able to hear it. Question is--- how much(if any) leakage is acceptable from those exhaust connections?

EBP sensor is near alternator. No amount of leakage is acceptable from those exhaust connections.

Go to Top of Page

cuccut

12 Posts

Posted - 12/27/2011 :  4:17:01 PM  Show Profile  Visit cuccut's Homepage  Reply with Quote
If it run smooth but no power.Stand at the front of the engine

-New air filter first
-check the back pressure tube that run from LH exhaust manifold to centerfront of engine to the back pressure sensor. at this age it normally rodded with holes. if it is still good, take the sensor off and run a wire through. at this age it is more than likely clogged.
-assuming your turbo is new and working, a leak in the air to air is likely. One of the spot to look is the rubber elbow at the front right rub at the frame.

If it run rough, unstable and no power

-Chance is you have a fuel pump with a broken leg. Change it
-The Injection pressure sensor is the one on the top rh bank is next
-The regulator valve toward the front is the last

good luck
Go to Top of Page

Wolf0r
Top Member

USA
2181 Posts

Posted - 01/13/2012 :  12:38:47 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have one in the shop now with similar issues. Last time I checked it was a MAP code. Now it's back, my scanner is at the repair shop :( I ordered a new MAP anyway hoping it works.

“The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it.”
Neil deGrasse Tyson
Go to Top of Page

skiatnite

2 Posts

Posted - 10/07/2015 :  1:22:50 PM  Show Profile  Visit skiatnite's Homepage  Reply with Quote
2004 DT444e runs fine rev up breaks up ..puff of smoke revs up no problem..same with taken off dog off line puff of some takes off
Go to Top of Page

skiatnite

2 Posts

Posted - 10/07/2015 :  1:27:15 PM  Show Profile  Visit skiatnite's Homepage  Reply with Quote
2004 DT444e runs fine rev up breaks up ..puff of smoke revs up no problem..same with taken off dog off line puff of some takes off
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:

School Bus Fleet Magazine Forums © 2022 School Bus Fleet Magazine Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.17 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000