Printer Friendly
Previous Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

tigger2
Advanced Member

USA
469 Posts

Posted - 09/21/2018 :  12:11:06 PM  Show Profile  Click to see tigger2's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Almost our whole fleet is C-2's, we still have a couple of FS65's and eight Thomas transits The latest versions are well made and not to bad to work on. The Cummins option is the best in my opinion with a 200,000 mi ten year full coverage warranty. Trouble shooting is easier when you have the free software from Thomas and Freightliner, once you get used to how it works. All makes have their drawbacks but we have been fairly trouble free. Support from our dealer has been good for us.
Go to Top of Page

WrenchMonkeyCSISD

USA
30 Posts

Posted - 10/03/2018 :  11:50:48 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
There's a ton of mechanical input in this thread, but nothing has really been said about much else.
We only have about 10 C2's, their mixed 1st and 2nd gen. Not much was really different between them. I spent a ton of time in a 1st gen, and I can tell you that mine was loud inside and out, and rode very rough. The driver side mirror assembly created a huge blind spot. The windshield being so big does really nothing other than allow snow and ice to collect where the wipers can't reach. The loading lights came apart as previously mentioned. Perhaps the worst is that the switch panel doesn't make it easy to find the right switch without having to take your eyes off the road. If it had been moved up and tilted a little it would have been much more convenient and safer. Also the driver's area is so big and you definitely have to do a fair bit of reaching. There wasn't a lot of storage space, and the glove compartment barely was big enough to fit said pair of gloves.
I hate to say I"m biased, but I guess I may be a bit. I love our IC's
Go to Top of Page

1983WardFord
Top Member

USA
1395 Posts

Posted - 10/04/2018 :  05:46:57 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by WrenchMonkeyCSISD

There's a ton of mechanical input in this thread, but nothing has really been said about much else.
We only have about 10 C2's, their mixed 1st and 2nd gen. Not much was really different between them. I spent a ton of time in a 1st gen, and I can tell you that mine was loud inside and out, and rode very rough. The driver side mirror assembly created a huge blind spot. The windshield being so big does really nothing other than allow snow and ice to collect where the wipers can't reach. The loading lights came apart as previously mentioned. Perhaps the worst is that the switch panel doesn't make it easy to find the right switch without having to take your eyes off the road. If it had been moved up and tilted a little it would have been much more convenient and safer. Also the driver's area is so big and you definitely have to do a fair bit of reaching. There wasn't a lot of storage space, and the glove compartment barely was big enough to fit said pair of gloves.
I hate to say I"m biased, but I guess I may be a bit. I love our IC's

As a driver, I hate everything but the way they drive, and for all of the reasons WrenchMonkey said, and then some. Like the sun visor that covers half of the mirror and that loosens itself every time you go to adjust it.

I completely agree about the reaching issue; if I wanted to reach for everything, I'd rather be in an old bus. The C2s are lookers, but not very driver-friendly.

Due to the current economic condition, the light at the end of the tunnel has been turned off until further notice.
Go to Top of Page

jlawson

USA
2 Posts

Posted - 10/24/2018 :  5:54:19 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I don't quite understand all the whining about a certain bus, they are just like Ford, Chevy's and Dodge, everyone has their own opinion. We have all three types of buses in our fleet, and I have talked extensively with other school districts about their buses. My experience with our buses are: IC buses have a severe rust issue, and in our area, service is poor, we had 2 that leaked through the (FLOOR) around the rear wheelwell, and the Thomas only issue was a faulty fan pulley that kept shredding the belts. Other districts have told me to stay away from the new Blue Birds, they have major wiring issues and the roof's leak, not too many complaints about the IC's except for the rust and Thomas has made many improvements with very few complaints. I guess it comes to whatever you like.

quote]Originally posted by mrwaibel

Please what ever you do don't go for the Thomas C2 especially if your planning on keeping it around for along time they have rust issues, my local school corp bought three of them and with in 2 years the rear emergency exit door started to rust on the bottom and the whole door had to be replaced. Also the windshields on all 3 had to be replaced because they were warped and the windshield wiper left a huge spot unwiped. The warning lights are also junk if you break a lense its a big job to replace because their glued in. their is no exterior electrical access on the c2 so all the relays and solonodis are difficult to access. They even had to have the whole door opener control replaced because it was too weak to keep the doors shut and they would bang open and shut going down the road. Their Thomas's answer for a full size conventional cut away or a replacement for the thomas Vista. The bus is built on the same principals as cutaway chassis and the C2 has the blind spots and automotive dash to prove it. The C2s are just too unreliable and troublesome for me to purchase one. The bad things you have heard about IC and the VT365 wont be an issue for you if you spec a Maxforce DT466 with air brakes, air door, air ride suspension, and LED lights. IC buses give you the best value for your dollar and they are much easier to service and do repairs on your drivers will also be greatful not having to bob around trying to see around those ridiculously large window posts. Sure the IC bus body isn't quite as nice as Blue Bird but the Blue Bird body now uses cheap windows so their not what they used to be.
[/quote]

Jamie Lawson
Go to Top of Page

thomasbluebird30

7 Posts

Posted - 12/23/2018 :  2:26:30 PM  Show Profile  Visit thomasbluebird30's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I like the C2's they steer better than the Visions and the CE's. My only grip is the constant electrical problems on the early models.
Go to Top of Page

Cal Mc
Advanced Member

303 Posts

Posted - 12/26/2018 :  9:27:11 PM  Show Profile  Visit Cal Mc's Homepage  Reply with Quote
We have 4 2014 C2 buses. We will not be purchasing any more. The 4 C2 buses cost more to keep windshields in than the other 60 buses combined. Yes we do windshield repairs.
Go to Top of Page

Fastback
Top Member

1500 Posts

Posted - 01/03/2019 :  07:13:33 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
On the propane side, I believe the C2 is the only bus available with a 100 gallon tank on a 59 or 65 passenger unit. In Iowa it means that the C2 is the only propane bus available with a 100 gallon tank and hydraulic brakes. None of the other brands offer anything over a 93 gallon tank and as I understand are only available on 72 or greater passenger buses.

Why yes, the ORIGinal CHARGER is a Fastback

Edited by - Fastback on 01/03/2019 07:24:29 AM
Go to Top of Page

RonF
Top Member

867 Posts

Posted - 01/03/2019 :  08:00:17 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
[quote]Originally posted by jlawson

I don't quite understand all the whining about a certain bus, they are just like Ford, Chevy's and Dodge, everyone has their own opinion. We have all three types of buses in our fleet, and I have talked extensively with other school districts about their buses. My experience with our buses are: IC buses have a severe rust issue, and in our area, service is poor, we had 2 that leaked through the (FLOOR) around the rear wheelwell, and the Thomas only issue was a faulty fan pulley that kept shredding the belts. Other districts have told me to stay away from the new Blue Birds, they have major wiring issues and the roof's leak, not too many complaints about the IC's except for the rust and Thomas has made many improvements with very few complaints. I guess it comes to whatever you like.

quote]

I can tell you why I hate, detest, can stand international. I am our head technician and manage our fleet with FleetVision software and dollars and cents hands down IC costs us the most to maintain in both routine maintenance and breakdown repairs. They currently have the highest cost of ownership and the highest cost per mile, even though they are usually the cheapest quote to purchase new. I am glad that our school board has seen the light in the last 5 years and go with the data I give them and not always go with the lowest bidder.

US Army retired CMBT
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:

School Bus Fleet Magazine Forums © 2022 School Bus Fleet Magazine Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.09 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000