Enter Forum: Professional Garage
 C2 White Smoke Coming From Under Hood
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

thomasguy

Canada
21 Posts

Posted - 10/08/2007 :  3:43:14 PM  Show Profile  Visit thomasguy's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Hello Everybody,

Glad to be here, this is my first post and it's a head scratcher...

We Just purchased four 2008 Thomas C2 School Buses with the new Closed Crankcase Ventilation System and Exhaust Regeneration System from Mercedes.

Any time during the bus run the operators are complaining about white smoke coming out from under the hood. The regeneration system amber light flashes on momentarily, we know that there is a diesel feed system that heats up the exhaust system to very high temperatures to clean out the soot build up.

We have come to the conclusion that the white smoke is the unburned diesel fuel that accumulates during regeneration but can't seem to find the exact spot where it's coming from.

Everytime a couple of the techs take it out for a long test drive the smoke problem never happens, so we're going to send a Mechanic with an operator on his run and remove the heat shroud from around the starter [the smoke was seen coming from that area by an operator].

I was just curious if anyone else is experiencing this same problem, and hoping some feedback will help. The dealer knows about it and there are other School Districts in BC having trouble as well. The buses are still safe, it just presents a problem when passengers or the public notice the smoke.

Thanks,

John

Edited by - thomasguy on 10/08/2007 3:50:04 PM

thomasguy

Canada
21 Posts

Posted - 10/09/2007 :  10:06:41 AM  Show Profile  Visit thomasguy's Homepage  Reply with Quote
So we have concluded that the white smoke is coming from the turbo housing during regeneration, one of the operators pulled up this morning and the smoke was very obvious. We took the buses to the Mercedes dealer and they have witnessed the smoke as well so it's in their hands.
I'll let everyone know when a solution is found.
John

School Bus Maintenance & Repairs.
http://schoolbusmechanic.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

thomasguy

Canada
21 Posts

Posted - 10/10/2007 :  10:07:11 AM  Show Profile  Visit thomasguy's Homepage  Reply with Quote
The Mercedes dealer has informed us that there is a valve called a "Doser Valve" which is located just past the turbo and is not atomizing the diesel fuel properly during regeneration. So raw fuel is seeping past the clamp on the exhaust piping and creating the white smoke from hot running temperatures. We will wait and see what develops.

By the way I'm not trying to make a negative issue out of this situation. I just want to keep fellow C2 owners informed, we are very happy with the Mercedes MBE 900 and realize that new technology is unpredictable.

John

School Bus Maintenance & Repairs.
http://schoolbusmechanic.blogspot.com

Edited by - thomasguy on 10/10/2007 1:24:39 PM
Go to Top of Page

thomas86_a
Top Member

USA
4413 Posts

Posted - 10/10/2007 :  10:28:01 AM  Show Profile  Visit thomas86_a's Homepage  Send thomas86_a an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Thanks for the updates!

If you have an International, you NEED customer service.
Go to Top of Page

dbarmaster

1 Posts

Posted - 10/14/2016 :  08:58:19 AM  Show Profile  Visit dbarmaster's Homepage  Reply with Quote
what did the dealer find ?
Go to Top of Page

baptistbusman1

USA
175 Posts

Posted - 10/14/2016 :  6:57:41 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
9 years later, and I have to say I absolutely hate these engines.....check engine lights on constantly with EGR's, Turbo Actuator's, clogged DPF's, DOC temp too high, turbos blowing oil. Wish I had never seen these things.

I was formally Baptistbusman. However, I lost my password, and had not updated my email address.

Here is a link to my old posts. http://www.schoolbusfleet.com/forum/search.asp?mode=DoIt&MEMBER_ID=1846
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:

School Bus Fleet Magazine Forums © 2022 School Bus Fleet Magazine Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.06 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000