Enter Forum: Professional Garage
 Budd Lug Nut Torque Spec?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

asnowsquall

USA
172 Posts

Posted - 05/14/2007 :  12:04:24 PM  Show Profile  Visit asnowsquall's Homepage  Reply with Quote
My 1989 Blue bird shorty just had the kingpins replaced and so I figured the lugnuts wouldn't be to hard to get off. Holly Cow. 3/4" drive, breaker bar, nice big piece are steel channel to give me even more power, me standing and bouncing on it to break it free. Is there a torque spec for putting these lugnuts back on?

Any difference on the spec for the rear wheels?
Thanks,
Dave

Mechan1c
Top Member

USA
853 Posts

Posted - 05/15/2007 :  08:05:30 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
450-500 ft/lb with dry threads for both 3/4-16, and 1-1/8-16, .875" spherical radius nuts. Also known as "ball seat" nuts.
Go to Top of Page

rg307

United States
5 Posts

Posted - 05/17/2007 :  2:20:30 PM  Show Profile  Visit rg307's Homepage  Reply with Quote
We use a 450 ft/lb torque stick w/ a 3/4" impact.
Go to Top of Page

baptistbusman
Advanced Member

USA
301 Posts

Posted - 05/18/2007 :  10:33:33 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
i've gotten buses before where someone tightened the silly things down so tight that i had to use a torch to heat the nuts up to get them to budge.

I think a lot of people go overboard tightening them down. I mean is there a danger of losing a wheel when u have 12 nuts tightened down so tight that it takes 2 men standing on a pipe bouncing up and down to actually get them to turn a little?

1 Timothy 1:15 This is a faithful saying, and worthy of all acceptation, that Christ Jesus came into the world to save sinners; of whom I am chief.
Go to Top of Page

bbird66
Top Member

USA
881 Posts

Posted - 05/18/2007 :  1:43:17 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
....2 men on a pipe?....I want that breaker bar...

Were gonna miss you "Brent"..Good luck in "Heidi land"

"I know you miss the Wainwrights Bobby, but they were weak and stupid people...and that's why we have wolves and other large predators" .. The Far Side

"On a two hour delay when will my child be picked up??"

Go to Top of Page

raytobe
Advanced Member

USA
293 Posts

Posted - 05/18/2007 :  2:10:15 PM  Show Profile  Visit raytobe's Homepage  Reply with Quote
It is almost always the case that when I go to change the rear tires on a new bus for the first time most of the inner nuts will be loose. When I change tires the nuts always go on as tight as the inch impact will turn them. It's true that a lot of times it will take extra effort to remove some the next time but for me the peace of mind is worth it. I worked for a guy that owned a semi truck shop who took it further, he insisted that I take a sledge to the front rims around the lugs after tightening them and then tighten them more.
Go to Top of Page

asnowsquall

USA
172 Posts

Posted - 05/18/2007 :  6:28:14 PM  Show Profile  Visit asnowsquall's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Well in the case of these nuts which actually center the rim as there is no center ring, they must have more force on them. Reminds me of the after market rims on my 1976 Chevy K10 which fit both GM and Toyota. The center hole was bigger so they could fit Toyota so on my GM it was all on the lugnuts. The thing that makes me nervous is when these lugs are overtighten and taken close to the stress stain (shear?) point, are the more apt to fail in a situation like say an accident than if the had the proper torque.
A friend at work said a cheap was to do this would be use the breaker bar and make the pipe so that the overall length is calulated so that when you multiply it times your body weight it comes out to 500 ft/lbs. So in my case 2.77 ft long as 2.77x180 lbs (my weight) is 500 lbs. I'd just like to come up with something that can let me service the rig if I get a flat on the side of the road, tighten to a safe level, and not break the bank.
Go to Top of Page

rgoodwin

Canada
5 Posts

Posted - 06/12/2007 :  5:17:24 PM  Show Profile  Visit rgoodwin's Homepage  Reply with Quote
If you use a "torque stick" be sure you check it against a calibrated "torque wrench" for accuracy. Depending on the impact tool used, shop air pressure, and a determined technician you could/can easily over torque the studs and nuts. 450-500 ft lbs for stud pilot and hub pilot wheels is the manufacturers spec.
Go to Top of Page

TorcMan

1 Posts

Posted - 10/18/2016 :  08:53:06 AM  Show Profile  Visit TorcMan's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I'm surprised that no one has replied further to this chain. But if any of you are still doing what asnowsquall described below, please STOP before you injure yourself.
There are now, non-impacting pneumatic wrenches that can deliver the exact torque up to 6000 fl.lbs. But for your industry there is a 148 to 1000 ft.lb model. It comes with its own FRL, you set the air pressure for the torque desired, pull the trigger, run the wrench until it stalls and you are done. Have a frozen lug nut, incrementally increase the air pressure to achieve a torque above 500 ft.lbs. until the lug/nut bolt is removed. No more cheater bars, no more standing on wrench, no more torches required. All hazardous ways to get hurt.
More damage is done to studs by improper tightening by impact wrenches than people realize and that is when people get hurt. At stretched stud is a weakened stud and it can shear or break making it just as risky as a loose lug nut.
What to know more, contact me at twise@torcup.com
Go to Top of Page

torque
Advanced Member

Canada
358 Posts

Posted - 10/18/2016 :  09:56:16 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Are you my father?
Go to Top of Page

bwest
Administrator

United States
3820 Posts

Posted - 10/18/2016 :  11:37:42 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The reason no one else responded to this thread is two fold. First, the issue was pretty well exhausted and was talked about for about a month. Second, we have hundreds if not thousands of discussions per year on this very active forum. We cannot keep all these threads active. And a bonus for you is; IT IS 6 YEARS OLD MAN!!
Thanks and have a great day!

Bryan
Go to Top of Page

g0ttadrift
Advanced Member

USA
258 Posts

Posted - 10/18/2016 :  12:31:07 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'm just surprised no one mentioned that the lugs on the left side are left hand thread and the lugs on the right are right hand thread. Maybe he didn't know this? :P
Go to Top of Page

krmvcs
Advanced Member

362 Posts

Posted - 10/18/2016 :  12:31:36 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
so i just checked out those hydraulic torque wrenches. they are super cool, but overkill for lugs on a bus. my 3/4 snap on torque wrench does just fine.

-Ken-
Go to Top of Page

eddo
Advanced Member

USA
311 Posts

Posted - 10/18/2016 :  12:58:38 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
funny story:

When I was in high school, I was helping my dad out. One day, a truck (1987 IHC S-1600, 6 hole Bud wheels) came in from route with a flat rear inner tire. He told me to go swap it out with an already mounted tire.

Cool, I thought. I've changed the tires on my pickup before, this should be the same- just a bit bigger.

I jacked 'er up, removed the outer tire, and for the life of me could not get the inner tire off. It would not budge! I hammered, I pried, i used half a can of wd-40, I did everything I could think of. He was just sitting back watching me.

Eventually, I couldn't take it anymore, and I couldn't think of anything else- and I asked for his help. He got up, grabbed the air gun, and removed the inner lug nuts that I did not know existed...

I can laugh about it now...

:)

Edited by - eddo on 10/18/2016 1:01:27 PM
Go to Top of Page

bwest
Administrator

United States
3820 Posts

Posted - 10/19/2016 :  05:24:50 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
That's funny!!

Bryan
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:

School Bus Fleet Magazine Forums © 2022 School Bus Fleet Magazine Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.11 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000