Enter Forum: Professional Garage
 Maintenance Program
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

kscalf

USA
73 Posts

Posted - 01/06/2006 :  11:02:00 AM  Show Profile  Visit kscalf's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I am looking for examples of a written maintenance policy and program. We operate vehicles purchased and legally owned by the state. They want us to formalize our maintenance procedures. We only operate 12 buses, so I am trying to avoid an expensive software program to track and schedule maintenance. Does anyone have a software suggestion or have a good example of a written policy that I could review?

Thanks!

Mechan1c
Top Member

USA
853 Posts

Posted - 01/06/2006 :  2:49:43 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Kelly,
There is a Navy publication that covers vehicle maintenance. You can refer to NAVFAC P300. It's a good sized document but has good information and is a tried and true real maintenance policy. I use VersaTrans FleetVision for fleet software.
Tom.
Go to Top of Page

wagonmaster
Top Member

USA
2298 Posts

Posted - 01/09/2006 :  03:54:52 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Since they are state owned vehicles, why don't you check with them and see what their requirements are? They may or may not be sufficient for a school bus operation, but you don't know until you check to see.
Joe

Joe
Land of the Free, because of the Brave!
Go to Top of Page

rswboe
Top Member

USA
675 Posts

Posted - 01/10/2006 :  10:14:15 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Written policies and programs are not the same. The policies are something set by the operator, maintenance manager, or department supervisor. A maintenance "program" can be the actual computer software, or the set practices performed by the maintenance staff. For a fleet of 12 vehicles, I would think a computerized program may be a little overkill. These programs are not inexpensive and require annual maintenance fees & upgrades. Maintenace schedules depend on the equipment used, and the conditions it's being used in. The equipment manufacturer has set standards for maintenance requirements, and those should be the starting point for your program. The other things you need to look at are State and Federal requirements for your type of operation. You may want to contact other operators in your area to see what they do.

Live each like it's going to be your last, one day you'll be right!
Go to Top of Page

Mechan1c
Top Member

USA
853 Posts

Posted - 01/10/2006 :  10:34:36 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Kelly,
Since you are in NE Washington, ask your OSPI Regional Coordinator Mike Kenney for some help. There is a WAPT mid-winter meeting January 28th in Olympia, and if you go get in touch with me, and I can bring some stuff that might help. I imagine someone from your corner of the State is coming over that you could share a ride with. Tom.
Go to Top of Page

Wolf0r
Top Member

USA
2181 Posts

Posted - 01/11/2006 :  09:15:02 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Download a demo program and crack the serial with "brute force". Or pay thousands a program. Hey I am only kidding. LOL

“The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it.”
Neil deGrasse Tyson
Go to Top of Page

Brad Barker
Administrator

USA
874 Posts

Posted - 01/11/2006 :  9:23:05 PM  Show Profile  Click to see Brad Barker's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
kscalf, It sounds to me they just want you to prove you have a formal written procedure. This is simple to do and can be done if you can type. Use the recommended maintenance procedure as written that comes with your buses as a model. Make adjustments to it to meet your personnal needs being careful to not deminish what they provide you. You can always add to it to enhance it but never take away. You probably already have a set interval or intervals for each type of PM you perform, all you have to do is type it out and make a simple check list to follow for each PM. Once you type it out stick to it. If you make a change in your procedure them make sure you document that change. Just mail them a copy so they can see what it is that you do. Having everything documented covers you and your district as well as the state against legal action.

Brad A. Barker
Go to Top of Page

kscalf

USA
73 Posts

Posted - 01/23/2006 :  4:01:35 PM  Show Profile  Visit kscalf's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by kscalf

I am looking for examples of a written maintenance policy and program. We operate vehicles purchased and legally owned by the state. They want us to formalize our maintenance procedures. We only operate 12 buses, so I am trying to avoid an expensive software program to track and schedule maintenance. Does anyone have a software suggestion or have a good example of a written policy that I could review?

Thanks!

Thanks for all of the feedback. We started with the maintenance requirements from the manufacturer, as suggested. We are not a school bus transportation provider, but we do Head Start and social service transportation, so everybody has regulations about how we operate, but very little about maintenance requirements or how to set up a specific program. I think we have come up with enough with written policies to back up the procedures (how often each type of service will be performed, etc.). I really appreciate all of your suggestions. I won't be on the west side of Washington on the 28th, but I will contact OSPI, that's a good resource. We have some partnerships with the local school districts, so I'll check to see if any of them are attending.
Go to Top of Page

magstan2

USA
44 Posts

Posted - 03/31/2007 :  10:19:04 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have an eval copy of Fleetvision and am about to try it. Is this software good and worth the money? Mike
Go to Top of Page

CPCSC_TD
Top Member

USA
657 Posts

Posted - 03/31/2007 :  11:53:17 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
We use fleetvision and very satisfied with it. It is user friendly and really allows you to maintain all your records.

You will be happy with the large database and the statistics it can produce.

You can set it up many ways. It will allow you to import your fuel records directly from the pumps. Many different uses will surprise you.

Like any software, it will take some time and adjustments.
Go to Top of Page

magstan2

USA
44 Posts

Posted - 03/31/2007 :  7:16:19 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thank you. That makes me feel more confident in the product. Mike
Go to Top of Page

RonF
Top Member

867 Posts

Posted - 05/11/2018 :  08:12:02 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I've been using Fleetvision for almost 5 years now. Love it.

US Army retired CMBT
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:

School Bus Fleet Magazine Forums © 2022 School Bus Fleet Magazine Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.08 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000