Tinted Windows
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Cody
Top Member

United States
1630 Posts

Posted - 03/29/2005 :  1:35:38 PM  Show Profile  Visit Cody's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I did a search and didn't really come up with anything, but I was wondering how many of you DO NOT like tinted windows. I love tinted windows, and I don't know of anyone that doesn't but maybe I'll find out now.

IC-RE
Top Member

USA
4117 Posts

Posted - 03/29/2005 :  1:56:54 PM  Show Profile  Visit IC-RE's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I love the tinted Windows, here, we spec then the darkest that our state will allow I believe. They give a sense of privacy, plus, on sunny days they are GREAT. They also make the bus look much nicer.

bus 1980, a 2008 IC RE 300 for Fairfax County Public Schools, Fairfax, Virginia.
Go to Top of Page

BlueBird44
Top Member

USA
1639 Posts

Posted - 03/29/2005 :  3:24:40 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I like tinted windows on my buses. Right now the bus I am driving does not have tint and I thought it would be a big deal but actually it's not. I really don't notice that much difference right off hand but we've not really had hot hot weather to tell the differnce. Actually surprisling not one kid of my bus has complained about not having tinted windows. Since they have about not having any emergency windows. I do know a couple contractors who don't like tint that is very dark because if backing at night they say they can't see.

So my vote is for tinted windows.

IC-The Golden Shield of School Transportation
Go to Top of Page

Rich
Top Member

United States
5768 Posts

Posted - 03/29/2005 :  3:27:52 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I personally prefer the tinted windows. But my aunt, who has been driving for 30 years now, does not like them - and turned in her 2004 IC RE 300 just because it had them! She said it is too hard to see the kids during the mornings and evenings, and that the overhead lights don't always help with that. So back into a TC/2000 FE she went!

Go to Top of Page

78fordwayne
Top Member

USA
2868 Posts

Posted - 03/29/2005 :  3:47:12 PM  Show Profile  Visit 78fordwayne's Homepage  Send 78fordwayne an AOL message  Send 78fordwayne a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
As a passenger Ive always preferd tinted windows. As a driver I dont like the tinted windows. The main reason for not liking them is at night when backing up. I prefer to be able to see as much as possable out the back and sides.

Robert B.

Go to Top of Page

92FrdCarp#11
Top Member

USA
1455 Posts

Posted - 03/29/2005 :  3:53:38 PM  Show Profile  Visit 92FrdCarp#11's Homepage  Send 92FrdCarp#11 an AOL message  Click to see 92FrdCarp#11's MSN Messenger address  Send 92FrdCarp#11 a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
I'm for tinted windows. I have only backed a bus a few times and it didn't matter to me whether the bus has tinted windows or not.

Johnny

Go to Top of Page

CPCSC_TD
Top Member

USA
657 Posts

Posted - 03/29/2005 :  5:31:46 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
My driver's said the same when we first received tinted glass.

I had to sort of reinvent the wheel. Reteach backing using the side mirrors and not the inside mirror. I explained that to often driver's rely on the inside mirror and miss soemthing on the outside and catch the other buses mirror or bumper. Not saying every driver would do that however, if we all just keep it simple, accidents wouldn't happen.

I think the pros outweigh the cons.
Go to Top of Page

BlueBird44
Top Member

USA
1639 Posts

Posted - 03/29/2005 :  6:35:19 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
CPSCC TD,

I agree why there are so many mirros knocked off when drivers try to use there mirror to back up because you can miss the mirros on the other buses or on yours. I seen some close calls when drivers have to back in an emergency at school and they aren't using there exterior mirros and they're the same who say they don't like the tint.

IC-The Golden Shield of School Transportation
Go to Top of Page

thomas86_a
Top Member

USA
4413 Posts

Posted - 03/29/2005 :  8:09:58 PM  Show Profile  Visit thomas86_a's Homepage  Send thomas86_a an AOL message  Reply with Quote
There is nothing wrong with using the passenger mirror to do a "check" before backing up but all drivers should be trained to use the side mirrors when the bus is moving in reverse. It's an issue that has been brought up in our district. Until I became transportation supervisor I was unaware of how nervous some drivers get when it comes to putting that bus in reverse and also how poorly trained some of them were. With proper training and maybe a little boost of confidence all drivers will do fine.

If you have an International, you NEED customer service.
Go to Top of Page

SchoolBusFan
Top Member

USA
1769 Posts

Posted - 03/29/2005 :  8:17:04 PM  Show Profile  Visit SchoolBusFan's Homepage  Send SchoolBusFan an AOL message  Reply with Quote
When I back my HUGE truck, we have to have a spotter and use the side mirrors. I don't think it matters if it has tinted windows or not when backing up; you can't see what's behind you anyways. I would prefer them, especially in the heat we have down here. They make the bus look better, and with that painted window frames, they look even better!!

Check out my new Yahoo group:
http://autos.groups.yahoo.com/group/ccsdschoolbuszone/

Edited by - SchoolBusFan on 03/29/2005 8:18:33 PM
Go to Top of Page

Thomas00
Top Member

USA
546 Posts

Posted - 03/29/2005 :  8:46:53 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
This has been an issues for one district for three years. The fleet manger who has been doing the specs on the buses to have tinted windows which are not part of the "state specification". Have been turn down by the Executive Director of Transportation who has the final approval. It would help justify the additional cost if it were in the state specification. The district has been getting tinted windows on all special ed buses for several years now. Now on the other hand I have heard drivers from districts with tinted windows. Say it hard to see the students during the mornings and evenings, and that the dome lights don't always help. I like tinted windows but I can also live without it.

~Georgia Drivers Together We Fly High~

Edited by - Thomas00 on 03/29/2005 8:48:52 PM
Go to Top of Page

Isellbuses
Top Member

Canada
828 Posts

Posted - 03/30/2005 :  2:49:33 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Thomas00

This has been an issues for one district for three years. The fleet manger who has been doing the specs on the buses to have tinted windows which are not part of the "state specification". Have been turn down by the Executive Director of Transportation who has the final approval. It would help justify the additional cost if it were in the state specification. The district has been getting tinted windows on all special ed buses for several years now. Now on the other hand I have heard drivers from districts with tinted windows. Say it hard to see the students during the mornings and evenings, and that the dome lights don't always help. I like tinted windows but I can also live without it.

Wow, there are some excellent points here for not having tinted glass. I never thought about the backing issue. Well said.
Go to Top of Page

rltinkey

USA
140 Posts

Posted - 03/30/2005 :  8:42:00 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have had two buses in the past that had tinted windows and one of them had air conditioning, nice. I transported student that had heat related medical conditions so the buses were equipped to aid with the health conditions of those students. The bus I drive now has clear glass but is equipped with air, so on those hot days life is good in the bus.

Department of Education Pupil Transportation Division spells out the requirements for specifications for school buses and that also includes tinted windows. Buses that come from the manufacture meets specification requirements but if you have a buses windows tinted make certain that you check with you Department of Education.

Oh, I like having tinted window but I like air better.

Ray The Bus Guy
Go to Top of Page

40ngone

USA
166 Posts

Posted - 03/30/2005 :  9:43:42 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I always spec tinted windows. They do keep the interior cooler, along with the white roofs. My drivers prefer them.
Bill
Go to Top of Page

IC-RE
Top Member

USA
4117 Posts

Posted - 03/31/2005 :  11:58:47 AM  Show Profile  Visit IC-RE's Homepage  Reply with Quote
What area are you from Bill? We spec the same way here in Fairfax

bus 1980, a 2008 IC RE 300 for Fairfax County Public Schools, Fairfax, Virginia.
Go to Top of Page

Peter
Top Member

USA
1057 Posts

Posted - 03/31/2005 :  3:23:34 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Tinted windows are fine anytime the sun is shining brightly, but in the late afternoon gloom of winter, I despise them. When the sun has set or is covered by clouds and the kids are freaking out because that's what they like to do and there are no consequences for their actions at home or with their peers, emboldened by their belief that they can exploit a substitute driver's unfamiliarity with them, that long dark tunnel behind me becomes a haven for hiding their misbehavior. Some wise soul ordered many of our late model buses with a single row of dome lights down the center aisle that does not provide sufficient lumination to clearly see what punkery is perpetrated from the seats. This occuring while I drive on snow and ice surrounded by inconsiderate no-minds determined to die in their cars is more than a little irritating.

Spicer is nicer.
Go to Top of Page

IC-RE
Top Member

USA
4117 Posts

Posted - 03/31/2005 :  4:40:29 PM  Show Profile  Visit IC-RE's Homepage  Reply with Quote
If you want to put it that way then.....

Go to Top of Page

40ngone

USA
166 Posts

Posted - 04/01/2005 :  06:45:42 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
IC, I am out of Southern California. The tint also keeps down the sun if you are running video cameras.

Bill

Edited by - 40ngone on 04/01/2005 06:47:59 AM
Go to Top of Page

IC-RE
Top Member

USA
4117 Posts

Posted - 04/01/2005 :  11:55:27 AM  Show Profile  Visit IC-RE's Homepage  Reply with Quote
yes, we are also running camaras, must be nice there

Go to Top of Page

40ngone

USA
166 Posts

Posted - 04/01/2005 :  1:27:38 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Sure can't complain about the weather most of the time. Ocean, mountains, desert, all pretty close.
Bill
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:

School Bus Fleet Magazine Forums © 2022 School Bus Fleet Magazine Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.14 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000