Type D GMC???
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

jjf221fe
Advanced Member

United States
275 Posts

Posted - 08/06/2007 :  6:13:50 PM  Show Profile  Visit jjf221fe's Homepage  Send jjf221fe an AOL message  Reply with Quote
I was web surfing for school bus images due to the fact that I was bored out of my mind (as usual...) today and I happened to stumble accross this:

http://floridachurchbus.tripod.com/carpenter93/number6.jpg

Now I don't know about everyone else, but this bus came as a suprise to me. I never knew GMC ever made a type D school bus. If anyone is aware of whoever manufactured this bus at some point in time, please don't hesitate to share! If there was a topic already posted about this bus, inform me and I will instead go to that instead for information. (I couldn't find one...)

Much Appreciated-
Jared F.

Cody
Top Member

United States
1630 Posts

Posted - 08/06/2007 :  6:20:57 PM  Show Profile  Visit Cody's Homepage  Reply with Quote
http://www.schoolbuscentral.com/gallery/updates/dec04/car_1_fe_90_pa.htm

They offered a type D chassis to many body companies.
Go to Top of Page

Rich
Top Member

United States
5768 Posts

Posted - 08/06/2007 :  6:21:24 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Jared,

GM made a number of Type D's, marketed as the "S7" chassis. They were originally offered in gasoline, and then gasoline and diesel, and finally just diesel with the 8.2 turbo. Carpenter and Wayne offered them, and if I'm not mistaken, Ward did for a time as well.

I have driven one, and it was quite a nice driving vehicle. Had a turbo Detroit 8.2 and moved along very well!

Go to Top of Page

jjf221fe
Advanced Member

United States
275 Posts

Posted - 08/06/2007 :  6:41:47 PM  Show Profile  Visit jjf221fe's Homepage  Send jjf221fe an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Ahh yes, thank you. Now that I really look at the link I see: Carpenter93 after ".com/". Seeing as how this is a front-engine design, I would imagine your ears must have been ringing after driving one with an 8.2 Detroit! (My ears ring if a vehicle with a Detroit diesel drives by...)

What is this "Hydraulic Brakes" nonsense you speak of?

Edited by - jjf221fe on 08/06/2007 9:20:44 PM
Go to Top of Page

Peter
Top Member

USA
1057 Posts

Posted - 08/06/2007 :  8:35:49 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Huh? What did you say?
Go to Top of Page

dem84skeeprollinup
Top Member

USA
888 Posts

Posted - 08/06/2007 :  8:38:13 PM  Show Profile  Click to see dem84skeeprollinup's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Ive seen some S7 Lifestars with Detroits in them out at midwest transit.

Probobly the most unuiqe one ive seen was found by Dunn. Note the manual tranny.

http://www.schoolbuscentral.com/gallery/updates/midapr05/way_91fe.htm

Do the world a favor and bring back GMC and Ford conventional chassis......

Edited by - dem84skeeprollinup on 08/06/2007 8:40:28 PM
Go to Top of Page

Buskid
Top Member

USA
3368 Posts

Posted - 08/06/2007 :  8:56:43 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by dem84skeeprollinup

Ive seen some S7 Lifestars with Detroits in them out at midwest transit.

I rode one in 6th and 7th Grade. It was a 1988 Wayne LifeStar FE with an 8.2L Detroit Diesel.
Go to Top of Page

jjf221fe
Advanced Member

United States
275 Posts

Posted - 08/06/2007 :  9:24:33 PM  Show Profile  Visit jjf221fe's Homepage  Send jjf221fe an AOL message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Peter

Huh? What did you say?

If you are referring to what I said right above where you originally posted this, I think I'm pretty clear about what I said. Was I not?

Go to Top of Page

dem84skeeprollinup
Top Member

USA
888 Posts

Posted - 08/06/2007 :  9:32:13 PM  Show Profile  Click to see dem84skeeprollinup's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by jjf221fe

quote:
Originally posted by Peter

Huh? What did you say?

If you are referring to what I said right above where you originally posted this, I think I'm pretty clear about what I said. Was I not?

im pretty sure he went deaf after the detroit went by, good luck talking to him

Do the world a favor and bring back GMC and Ford conventional chassis......

Go to Top of Page

jjf221fe
Advanced Member

United States
275 Posts

Posted - 08/06/2007 :  9:51:02 PM  Show Profile  Visit jjf221fe's Homepage  Send jjf221fe an AOL message  Reply with Quote
LOL... I'm suprised I haven't gone deaf with this one Ford B7000 hay truck (equipped with Detroit) that is forever driving by my house. Something unique I've noticed about this chassis is the semi-automotive styled windshield wipers (even though it's actually the same as the mainstay-transit styled wipers, just with the actual wipers turned horizontally). Is this similar to what IC plans on doing to their Type D transit line in the near future, or do they plan on going with a full-blown automotive styled windshield wiper design?

Edited by - jjf221fe on 08/06/2007 10:08:02 PM
Go to Top of Page

NWCROWN
Advanced Member

USA
461 Posts

Posted - 08/08/2007 :  10:15:13 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
That manual shifter arrangement is unusual for a bus...it looks like it is dash-mounted to me.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:

School Bus Fleet Magazine Forums © 2022 School Bus Fleet Magazine Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.3 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000