Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

Isellbuses
Top Member

Canada
828 Posts

Posted - 12/12/2004 :  5:39:48 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The Ugliest Bus

I can’t believe it but there is a bus uglier than the Blue Bird Vision.

The ugliest bus award goes to……….(drumroll)

The 2006 Liberty.

Here is a link to School Bus Central which has the 2006 Liberty featured.

http://www.schoolbuscentral.com/index.htm

Is it so ugly its’ cute?

Chris
Top Member

USA
1013 Posts

Posted - 12/12/2004 :  5:55:09 PM  Show Profile  Visit Chris's Homepage  Send Chris an AOL message  Click to see Chris's MSN Messenger address  Send Chris a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
No, I say there's a three-way tie between the Papoose, Mighty-Mite, and old Mini Birds

My Personal Fleet
1985 Ward Ford #1 Lexington Local - 1990 Wayne International NO.2 Walton-Verona - 1992 Ward Senator NO.4 Walton-Verona *SOLD*
Go to Top of Page

CountGirl
Top Member

USA
823 Posts

Posted - 12/12/2004 :  5:58:55 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
That's a cute looking bus. Sort of like, 'what does the world hold for me today?'

Count

Give me a yellow object. Yes. Right now. I need my yellow chocolate, for goodness sake!
Go to Top of Page

mlkdrives41
Top Member

USA
2055 Posts

Posted - 12/12/2004 :  6:23:07 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I think the old Vistas were uglier. (Whatever the size.)

Nothing great has ever been accomplished without enthusiasm!
Go to Top of Page

Rich
Top Member

United States
5768 Posts

Posted - 12/12/2004 :  6:33:25 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Ugliest bus? Hmm.

Well, the Vision and the Liberty are bad. But the worst? How about this...

That's a bus that can give you NIGHTMARES!

Go to Top of Page

Girardin_71
Top Member

Canada
626 Posts

Posted - 12/12/2004 :  6:37:10 PM  Show Profile  Send Girardin_71 a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
i say the papoose

Girardin/Blue-Bird are my favorite school buses

http://www.g71bdpt.net
Go to Top of Page

Isellbuses
Top Member

Canada
828 Posts

Posted - 12/12/2004 :  6:37:54 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Oh my god Rob, Is that really the name of that thing???? Chickasha???
I do think the Liberty is with that GMC thing is ugggglllllyyyy but cute.
Go to Top of Page

Isellbuses
Top Member

Canada
828 Posts

Posted - 12/12/2004 :  6:57:36 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
OOOOPS I meant to say Rich
LOL
Go to Top of Page

CrownBus1
Top Member

USA
633 Posts

Posted - 12/12/2004 :  9:17:06 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Rich Solano

Ugliest bus? Hmm.

Well, the Vision and the Liberty are bad. But the worst? How about this...

Oh come on, that bus isn't THAT ugly. It's ugly, sure, but not the ugliest bus ever. In my book, that award goes to either the Thomas EF or the Blue Bird Vision.

Bus 1
1985 Crown

Edited by - CrownBus1 on 12/12/2004 9:17:47 PM
Go to Top of Page

SchoolBusFan
Top Member

USA
1769 Posts

Posted - 12/12/2004 :  10:37:14 PM  Show Profile  Visit SchoolBusFan's Homepage  Send SchoolBusFan an AOL message  Reply with Quote
That bus looks like a cereal box on it's side. It's not too ugly, but it's not what I would choose to buy. The Papoose, Cadet (Carpenter), and IC RE's with the grille in the back, now those are 3 ugly buses (those are my opinions). Now the Mini Bird was a good looking bus; not the best but at least it didn't look like the Type A buses (all ugly to me). I wonder what the Mini Bird would've looked like in a 72 or so passenger capacity. LOL,in my dreams. Might be a great photoshop project for those of you who would like to create one. I think the Thomas EF is one of the best looking Front Engine buses. Then the Blue Birds (All-American and TC/2000) go next. The 1970's Thomas front engine bus didn't look as good as the ones now in my opinion. The IC/AmTran FE and Carpenter's front engine are the ugly front engine buses to me. (Uh oh, I think I upset a few people). That's what I think about those buses. Now the best rear engine I think goes to Thomas' HDX. The Saf-T-Liner ER's were good in appearance. Blue Bird's is okay to me. The IC RE, again, I hate where the grille is located.

What do you all think about that old Gillig school bus?

Check out my new Yahoo group:
http://autos.groups.yahoo.com/group/ccsdschoolbuszone/
Go to Top of Page

BPS_Driver
Advanced Member

USA
259 Posts

Posted - 12/13/2004 :  04:07:40 AM  Show Profile  Send BPS_Driver an AOL message  Reply with Quote
I agree with Richard. That bus looks like it's tryign to eat the kids. Almost like a video game.

My vote goes to: Early 80's Carpenter Puller

23 Million safe deliveries a day by all of us
Go to Top of Page

GMCBlueBird83
Top Member

USA
1478 Posts

Posted - 12/13/2004 :  05:51:47 AM  Show Profile  Visit GMCBlueBird83's Homepage  Send GMCBlueBird83 an AOL message  Send GMCBlueBird83 a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Its a toss up between the Wayne Pappose and the Thomas Chevy/GMC Vista.
Go to Top of Page

pcbuilder03

USA
171 Posts

Posted - 12/13/2004 :  09:10:28 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Has anyone seen that Bluebird/Volvo combo in the link in Jared's sig? It looks like a prototype of a copy off the C2. But of course, because it's a Blue Bird, it's gotta be ugly. I think it's a tie between that and that Chickasha thing.

There are three kinds of people - those who can count and those who can't.
Go to Top of Page

Buskid
Top Member

USA
3368 Posts

Posted - 12/13/2004 :  09:35:46 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by SchoolBusFan

What do you all think about that old Gillig school bus?

They look like a loaf of bread and drive like a cardboard box on the freeway. Just kidding, well, mostly! I don't care much for the Gillig Phantom school buses, but the classic Gilligs were all right looks-wise (especially those built in the early-1950s, ohh, yeah ). I can't say anything too bad about them; I owned two of them!
Go to Top of Page

72Corsair
Top Member

USA
698 Posts

Posted - 12/13/2004 :  2:34:54 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'd have to say it's a mix between that Chickasha, our old 86 Corsair, a papoose, and a and a new age gillig.
Go to Top of Page

GMCBlueBird83
Top Member

USA
1478 Posts

Posted - 12/13/2004 :  2:39:10 PM  Show Profile  Visit GMCBlueBird83's Homepage  Send GMCBlueBird83 an AOL message  Send GMCBlueBird83 a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Isellbuses

The Ugliest Bus

I can’t believe it but there is a bus uglier than the Blue Bird Vision.

The ugliest bus award goes to……….(drumroll)

The 2006 Liberty.

Here is a link to School Bus Central which has the 2006 Liberty featured.

http://www.schoolbuscentral.com/index.htm

Is it so ugly its’ cute?

The new Liberty may not be pretty but its light years ahead of the old model. The roof on that thing would have made for a good ski jump platform The new one is no worse than a Collins.
Go to Top of Page

Jared
Top Member

USA
1865 Posts

Posted - 12/13/2004 :  3:56:40 PM  Show Profile  Visit Jared's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by pcbuilder03

Has anyone seen that Bluebird/Volvo combo in the link in Jared's sig? It looks like a prototype of a copy off the C2. But of course, because it's a Blue Bird, it's gotta be ugly. I think it's a tie between that and that Chickasha thing.

haha, I appreciate the honesty

http://www.flickr.com/photos/jaredg21/sets/
Go to Top of Page

BusBoy
Top Member

USA
2042 Posts

Posted - 12/13/2004 :  4:25:17 PM  Show Profile  Visit BusBoy's Homepage  Reply with Quote
It's ok Jared! We all here love your drawings! Keep up the great work!

Kevin

Your Child's Safety is Our Business
Go to Top of Page

dmoney127
Advanced Member

USA
253 Posts

Posted - 12/13/2004 :  5:24:55 PM  Show Profile  Send dmoney127 an AOL message  Send dmoney127 an ICQ Message  Reply with Quote
Bleh, that Chickasha grille is hideous! WAY too big, and who thought it would be a good idea to paint it black? How come International didn't learn that lesson on their REs up until the last year or so? Really ugly, and cheap looking. The new ones are okay, though!
Go to Top of Page

Thomasbus24
Administrator

USA
4544 Posts

Posted - 12/13/2004 :  5:37:34 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

Ugliest bus? Hmm.

OH geez...that has to be the evilest looking thing I've ever seen! I have a hard enough time getting Kindergarteners to feel welcome on the bus that first day...let alone if I had to drive THAT!
Go to Top of Page

Yellowhound

47 Posts

Posted - 12/14/2004 :  3:25:10 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
My vote for the ugliest bus award would go to the 1984 or 1985 Delmar Keys bodies. The older Ward bodies were not that attractive to me either, but now IC has improved them a bit. And the Chevy/Thomas Vista, cant leave that one out of the ugly bus list either.Here is a link to a 1985 Ford/Delmar Keys that was on ebay, I hope the link works.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=6728&item=4501656105&rd=1
Go to Top of Page

Jim
Top Member

USA
581 Posts

Posted - 12/14/2004 :  5:04:30 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

Maybe not the ugliest, but I think if I saw that thing coming to pick me up on my first day of kindergarten, I'd run back home!

Jim
Go to Top of Page

Isellbuses
Top Member

Canada
828 Posts

Posted - 12/15/2004 :  10:19:12 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I don't know about this one.

http://www.schoolbuscentral.com/gallery/manufacturers/gillig/1_86_pha_ca.htm

What do you think? And a special thanks to School Bus Central for what I think has to be the best picture gallery collection of school buses anywhere. I have sent the URL to friends in Europe and Asia.
Go to Top of Page

bbird66
Top Member

USA
881 Posts

Posted - 12/15/2004 :  12:26:34 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Vision hands down...followed by the Chickasowkaldkjlkasksiski...

Were gonna miss you "Brent"..Good luck in "Heidi land"

"I know you miss the Wainwrights Bobby, but they were weak and stupid people...and that's why we have wolves and other large predators" .. The Far Side

"On a two hour delay when will my child be picked up??"

Go to Top of Page

Buskid
Top Member

USA
3368 Posts

Posted - 12/15/2004 :  1:11:12 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Isellbuses

What do you think? And a special thanks to School Bus Central for what I think has to be the best picture gallery collection of school buses anywhere. I have sent the URL to friends in Europe and Asia.

The Gillig Phantom as a school bus, ahh!

I don't like how they look, but I'm not sure how well they drive. I get to drive one next month when I go back out to California, so, I guess I'll be able to give a better opinion of them then.
Go to Top of Page

BusFreak
Top Member

USA
798 Posts

Posted - 12/15/2004 :  3:35:13 PM  Show Profile  Send BusFreak an AOL message  Reply with Quote
I must say though, that as ugly as it may be, the Gillig Phantom must make one heck of a school bus for durability. Its built like a transit bus, and I'm sure it offers some cool features, like larger engine choices, heavier duty transmissions, and heavier duty frames. I know that they also feature stuff like kneeling suspension, which is typically not found on school buses. Buskid, you must tell us all about your drive!

=
Go to Top of Page

SchoolBusFan
Top Member

USA
1769 Posts

Posted - 12/15/2004 :  9:28:44 PM  Show Profile  Visit SchoolBusFan's Homepage  Send SchoolBusFan an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Chickasha, I'd run too, LOL!! The Grille looks like a mouth, and is about to eat those kids in the picture.

Check out my new Yahoo group:
http://autos.groups.yahoo.com/group/ccsdschoolbuszone/
Go to Top of Page

72Corsair
Top Member

USA
698 Posts

Posted - 12/16/2004 :  2:17:13 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=6728&item=4512669913&rd=1 i think this one is
Go to Top of Page

GMCBlueBird83
Top Member

USA
1478 Posts

Posted - 12/16/2004 :  2:41:33 PM  Show Profile  Visit GMCBlueBird83's Homepage  Send GMCBlueBird83 an AOL message  Send GMCBlueBird83 a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by 72Corsair

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=6728&item=4512669913&rd=1 i think this one is

Ah yes, the hideous Collins Chevy! It looks like a Van Con's awkward dorky cousin
Go to Top of Page

72Corsair
Top Member

USA
698 Posts

Posted - 12/16/2004 :  2:53:48 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
lol
Go to Top of Page

1983WardFord
Top Member

USA
1395 Posts

Posted - 12/16/2004 :  3:31:24 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
C2

Due to the current economic condition, the light at the end of the tunnel has been turned off until further notice.
Go to Top of Page

Isellbuses
Top Member

Canada
828 Posts

Posted - 12/17/2004 :  2:51:54 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
1983WardFord,

Are you saing the C2 is the ugliest bus?
Go to Top of Page

Isellbuses
Top Member

Canada
828 Posts

Posted - 12/17/2004 :  2:53:31 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Of the new big buses, IC, Blue Bird, Thomas, I would say the Vision is the ugliest.
Go to Top of Page

1983WardFord
Top Member

USA
1395 Posts

Posted - 12/18/2004 :  06:45:47 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I, personally, don't care for the C2, although I will admit it is slowly beginning to grow on me. Actually, I think if I had to pick the ugliest bus, it would be anything by Collins. THOSE are ugly. Coming in a very close second is anything by Delmar-Keas.

Due to the current economic condition, the light at the end of the tunnel has been turned off until further notice.
Go to Top of Page

SuperiorGMC1963
Top Member

USA
1079 Posts

Posted - 12/18/2004 :  12:57:38 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I've been avoiding responding to this topic for as long as I can. Beauty is definitely in the eye of the beholder when it comes to buses.
Ugliest bus? I thought of going back to the 60's and 70's but I'll try to limit my response to buses that are still on the road. What first came to mind (and still comes to mind) has to be Delmar Keas' Superior which morphed into the New Bus Company. I never cared for the original GM Thomas Vista's either. For some reason I actually like the Blue Bird Visions. I see one every once in a while and they look pretty cool coming down the road.

Okay, I have to go back in time. Ugliest bus from the 70's would be the Northern Air but very few of those were made. I never cared much for the Ward body from the 50's through the early 70's. And I always thought that one of the ugliest conventional chassis of all time was the Dodge chassis 1961-73.

Ted

Edited by - SuperiorGMC1963 on 12/18/2004 7:38:07 PM
Go to Top of Page

Girardin_71
Top Member

Canada
626 Posts

Posted - 12/18/2004 :  3:23:09 PM  Show Profile  Send Girardin_71 a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
that new bus company FE is uggggglllly. the grill is to big and can scare JK and SK students.

Girardin/Blue-Bird are my favorite school buses

http://www.g71bdpt.net
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:

School Bus Fleet Magazine Forums © 2022 School Bus Fleet Magazine Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.19 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000