New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Joe Hartnett
Advanced Member

USA
359 Posts

Posted - 05/13/2004 :  3:34:32 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
A few months back I had a 1996 DT466 stalling out, especially at higher rpm. I eventually found out that the (black)rubber check ball located above the fuel strainer had deteriorated to the point it was blocking the outlet of the strainer. The replacement ball is yellow and made of a harder material. The other day I was adjusting the valves on another 1996 DT466 and decided to inspect that check ball, half was missing and flat and the other side had a large crater in it. My helpers have told me the were having a hard time priming the fuel filters on these engines and I recall them showing me some black particles in the fuel strainer when they cleaned them. If anyone knows when Navistar changed production to the improved ball, please let me know and keep an eye out for the warning signs.

wagonmaster
Top Member

USA
2298 Posts

Posted - 05/14/2004 :  04:20:34 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Good catch, Joe. I thought that it had to be a significant fuel restriction, I just figured it would be further back. Good job.
Joe

Joe
Land of the Free, because of the Brave!
Go to Top of Page

Sonnym

USA
28 Posts

Posted - 01/12/2005 :  05:25:33 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Joe Hartnett

A few months back I had a 1996 DT466 stalling out, especially at higher rpm. I eventually found out that the (black)rubber check ball located above the fuel strainer had deteriorated to the point it was blocking the outlet of the strainer. The replacement ball is yellow and made of a harder material. The other day I was adjusting the valves on another 1996 DT466 and decided to inspect that check ball, half was missing and flat and the other side had a large crater in it. My helpers have told me the were having a hard time priming the fuel filters on these engines and I recall them showing me some black particles in the fuel strainer when they cleaned them. If anyone knows when Navistar changed production to the improved ball, please let me know and keep an eye out for the warning signs.

Joe, please contact me at 202-366-5196.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:

School Bus Fleet Magazine Forums © 2013 School Bus Fleet Magazine Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.11 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000