Previous Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

ThomasER0005
Top Member

USA
576 Posts

Posted - 06/11/2005 :  10:04:10 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
In my county some of the drivers here use their strobe lights and some dont. I use mine when ever it is rainy or foggy outside. On my Thomas Saf T Liner mvp RE when ever you turn the warning lamps on, the strobe light will come on automatically(whether or not you got the strobe light on or off) and stay on until you turn the warning lamps off. The other Thomas Saf T Liner we have is like that.

Go to Top of Page

78fordwayne
Top Member

USA
2868 Posts

Posted - 06/12/2005 :  12:10:18 PM  Show Profile  Visit 78fordwayne's Homepage  Send 78fordwayne an AOL message  Send 78fordwayne a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
There are some towns by me in Illinois that dont allow strobe lights on school buses.

Robert B.

Go to Top of Page

IC-RE
Top Member

USA
4117 Posts

Posted - 06/12/2005 :  6:28:28 PM  Show Profile  Visit IC-RE's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Here we are supposed to have the stobe light on whenever there are studnets on board, my friends dad who is a driver said it is to show that if the bus is in an accident, if the strobe is on that means the bus had children on board. It is very noisy in our 1997-1998 Thomas MVP ER's
Go to Top of Page

IC
Top Member

USA
3413 Posts

Posted - 06/27/2005 :  6:47:03 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The strobe on my Thomas is loud as ****! I can hear it over the engine, the students, radio, and all the other noises on a bus in motion. The mechanics tell me the noise is normal....but that's what they always say when they don't feel like fixing something. I bet they would fix it if THEY had to listen to it for hours every day!
Go to Top of Page

travellercsa

USA
4 Posts

Posted - 06/30/2005 :  11:03:52 PM  Show Profile  Visit travellercsa's Homepage  Reply with Quote
In Ky. they are required by law, I persoanlly think they are a very good safety measure. Where I drive it is very remote and foggy almost every morning. It saved me from broadsiding another bus one morning that was turning around in front of me. without the light I would not have had time to stop.
Go to Top of Page

92FrdCarp#11
Top Member

USA
1455 Posts

Posted - 07/01/2005 :  5:41:06 PM  Show Profile  Visit 92FrdCarp#11's Homepage  Send 92FrdCarp#11 an AOL message  Click to see 92FrdCarp#11's MSN Messenger address  Send 92FrdCarp#11 a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Strobe lights come in handy at night while on a sports trip. My freshman year I was a football manager and we had to play against a team in Memphis . We took two Wayne IHCs and both had strobe lights. When we stopped a truckstop on the way home, the other driver told my driver that the only way he knew where we were at was because of the strobe light being on and my driver said same here.

Johnny

Go to Top of Page

ThomasER0005
Top Member

USA
576 Posts

Posted - 07/05/2005 :  12:59:43 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hey travellercsa, what county do you drive for? What type of bus do you drive? Im also from Ky.

Go to Top of Page

nsmarg1

USA
5 Posts

Posted - 07/29/2005 :  12:09:56 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I myself have one on my bus and I use it alot .. in my area it gets realy foggy in the mornings.. so much as you can see 5 feet infront of you.. i feel safer knowing that I can put my strobe light on and someone will see me when approching me from behind.. I live and pickup student's in the country.. I feel safer with having one on my bus... I have been to other states where I notice that while on a freeway the busses have to have the strobe light on.. I think that this is also a good idea.. its just my opinion though.. nsmarg1 from ohio
Go to Top of Page

BusFreak
Top Member

USA
798 Posts

Posted - 07/29/2005 :  11:18:50 PM  Show Profile  Send BusFreak an AOL message  Reply with Quote
In North Carolina, they are on 100% of the time, and they are 3 inches from the back of the bus, so even if you are close behind, you can still see it blinking. The Activity buses even have them! I was behind one once, driving a truck for a school late at night. MAN was it blinding. It was the normal Thomas blink too, where its a fast blink.

=
Go to Top of Page

strobelight

USA
5 Posts

Posted - 08/26/2005 :  02:43:12 AM  Show Profile  Visit strobelight's Homepage  Reply with Quote
My strobe light squeaks. Very annoying to the riders in the back of the bus. We are to use them anytime there is a student abord the bus. Our administrator figures if he ever sees an overturned bus and the strobe light is on, that's a strong clue that children are onboard.
Go to Top of Page

Bluebird62
Top Member

USA
530 Posts

Posted - 11/23/2005 :  06:51:14 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by WI Handy Bus

Logic would dictate not using it at night in good weather but logic is something the state of Wi is extremely short on.

10-4 to that!!! FYI: While strobes are required at all times, white roofs are illegal on our buses!
Go to Top of Page

ICfan
Top Member

USA
1251 Posts

Posted - 11/23/2005 :  09:23:54 AM  Show Profile  Visit ICfan's Homepage  Reply with Quote
CT I believe has no strobe lights on the top BUT with the master/Ambers that is a different story

Tyler Roys Weatherman and International Fan,

http://www.freewebs.com/thectschoolbusyard
Go to Top of Page

B. Busguy33
Top Member

USA
3444 Posts

Posted - 11/23/2005 :  8:41:19 PM  Show Profile  Visit B. Busguy33's Homepage  Send B. Busguy33 an AOL message  Send B. Busguy33 a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
CT I believe has no strobe lights on the top BUT with the master/Ambers that is a different story

Ummm...I know of at least one school bus contractor in CT that has roof-mounted strobe lights in addition to strobing warning lights on his buses.

Edited by - B. Busguy33 on 11/23/2005 8:41:41 PM
Go to Top of Page

Rich
Top Member

United States
5768 Posts

Posted - 11/23/2005 :  8:51:22 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by B. Busguy33

quote:

Ummm...I know of at least one school bus contractor in CT that has roof-mounted strobe lights in addition to strobing warning lights on his buses.

Bob, I think you're wrong. IC Fan is clearly an expert in school bus law, and obviously knows more than you about buses. You need to stop posting such garbage on here!

Go to Top of Page

B. Busguy33
Top Member

USA
3444 Posts

Posted - 11/23/2005 :  9:03:48 PM  Show Profile  Visit B. Busguy33's Homepage  Send B. Busguy33 an AOL message  Send B. Busguy33 a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Bob, I think you're wrong. IC Fan is clearly an expert in school bus law, and obviously knows more than you about buses. You need to stop posting such garbage on here!

I think you're right, Richard. Afterall, I'm not even from CT, so what do I know? Don't worry, I'll start posting my garbage elsewhere.
Go to Top of Page

mlkdrives41
Top Member

USA
2055 Posts

Posted - 11/24/2005 :  3:24:49 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I would hate to be in a caravan of buses and be behind someone with a strobe light on. I probably would get a migraine headache from it and how safe would I be then? Besides they look like a recycling truck when they drive around all the time with those flashing lights on all the time.

Nothing great has ever been accomplished without enthusiasm!
Go to Top of Page

CPSBUS67

USA
113 Posts

Posted - 12/03/2005 :  08:48:54 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
In Missouri they have left it up to the driver to decide about the strobe light but our First Student Location tells us to turn them on.but you cant get them to fix it if it doesnt work............go figure

GIVE ME A THOMAS AND NO ONE GETS HURT!!!!!!!
Go to Top of Page

B. Busguy33
Top Member

USA
3444 Posts

Posted - 12/12/2005 :  4:27:22 PM  Show Profile  Visit B. Busguy33's Homepage  Send B. Busguy33 an AOL message  Send B. Busguy33 a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
We had a safety meeting today, and the roof strobe light issue was brought up, especially after what happened last Friday. (See my post in General Interest.) I heard from a few drivers at the safety meeting today that they used their strobe light, even if it is illegal! I couldn't use the one I had on my bus because the switch would not pull to the open position. Another driver had the same problem. We have at least one driver who does use her strobe light during winter, and she isn't concerned about it being illegal.

Anyway, I spoke up and said they weren't illegal. I had e-mailed this question to the owner of a bus dealer back in 2002 and he replied telling me that they were legal in MA and he gave me two school districts that used them. That is what I reported at the safety meeting and I told them I had the e-mail to prove it.

I come into work this afternoon and they had already asked someone else who tests school bus drivers for the licenses. He reported to them using a roof strobe light on a school bus in MA is illegal. (He used to work for our location and was a driver trainer.) He included the information where I can see this for myself, so I will have to do check it out to confirm. Up until today, I thought they were legal in this state, and I would not hesitate to use the strobe under the right conditions.

Edited by - B. Busguy33 on 12/12/2005 4:45:03 PM
Go to Top of Page

ICfan
Top Member

USA
1251 Posts

Posted - 12/13/2005 :  08:33:45 AM  Show Profile  Visit ICfan's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Strobe lights in my case should not be used after a certain time at night until a certain time in the morning, because of the light shinning right into the house or into peoples eyes at night and daytime! I have expericne this to me at 6am, and it gets annyoning to me who is trying to sleep. What is the reason for the lights to be on during the daytime when you see the yellow of the bus! Cheez!

Tyler Roys Weatherman and International Fan,

http://www.freewebs.com/thectschoolbusyard
Go to Top of Page

shawn2

1 Posts

Posted - 08/27/2011 :  6:59:16 PM  Show Profile  Visit shawn2's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by bpnh23

It is surposed to make the bus more visible to other motorists. Its main purpose was in foggy conditions. It was orginaly started in the midwest where the roads were miles long, but flat and stright. With the strobe light on, you could see the strobe miles away before you could even make out the bus. This is how it was explained to me. Here in New Hampshire some buses have them some don't. If your bus has one, it must be on while transporting students to and from school. Some states require newer buses to have one, and it has to be on at all driving times. Rules differ from state to state.

In ND in our school district, all our bus drivers have the strobe lights on. One purpose is so that when people see the strobe they know you have kids on. Another purpose is for whiteout conditions in the Midwest or wherever they have blizzards.
Go to Top of Page

GFREE

1 Posts

Posted - 01/31/2012 :  04:47:37 AM  Show Profile  Visit GFREE's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Regarding the DANGERS OF STROBES:

Folks, these strobes are far more dangerous than they are good. As a pilot, one must turn off strobes in fog, rain, snow due to vertigo.
This is the same on the ground as it is in the air. Why would you wish to "blind" drivers following a bus, particularly over a long distance. These strobes SHOULD BE OUTLAWED and NOT USED.

Wikipedia:
Flicker vertigo is "an imbalance in brain-cell activity caused by exposure to low-frequency flickering (or flashing) of a relatively bright light"
[1] The strobe light effect causes persons who are vulnerable to flicker vertigo to become disoriented, lose control of the aircraft.
Due to the intensity of the brilliant white light source, the intended use for strobes is during daylight hours of operation.

Strobes should really not be used in inclement weather, in the clouds or on the ground as this can cause flicker vertigo.

FAR 91.209—You must use position and anti-collision lights between sunset and sunrise, but this regulation says you can turn off the anti-collision lights for safety, such as when flying in precipitation.

Distractions and problems can result from a flickering light in the cockpit, anticollision light, strobe lights, or other aircraft lights and can cause flicker vertigo. If continuous, the possible physical reactions can be nausea, dizziness, grogginess, unconsciousness, headaches, or confusion. The pilot should try to eliminate any light source causing blinking or flickering problems in the cockpit.

Flicker vertigo has been reported as the cause of some aviation accidents. Twenty two percent of helicopter pilots and 30 percent of airplane pilots said flight through fog with a rotating beacon had caused flickering light in the cockpit.

At night, anti-collision lights reflecting off the clouds can produce the effect. Flicker vertigo can develop when viewing rotating beacons, strobe lights, or reflections of these off water or the clouds.

With the above information readilly available, Did the transportation board fail to do their research prior to having these installed?
Have they ever travelled 15 minutes behind a bus with strobes in the dark, and rain? IT IS VERY BLINDING and DISTRACTING

If they don't feel a large yellow vehicle is visible enough, add reflective paint, more lighting (Like some trailer trucks)
But not a Blinding strobe light!

GFREE in New Hampshire
Go to Top of Page

tylerofficer

35 Posts

Posted - 01/31/2012 :  5:01:30 PM  Show Profile  Visit tylerofficer's Homepage  Reply with Quote
The strobes on our buses are only used in heavy snows or rain for people to know that there is a bus there. I can understand the dangers of the lights though.
Go to Top of Page

old_school

United States
29 Posts

Posted - 02/07/2012 :  07:18:49 AM  Show Profile  Visit old_school's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I always have the strobe on when i'm loading/loaded/unloading...off when i headed to pick up/dropping off the first/last student and headed home.
Go to Top of Page

aeastman

USA
9 Posts

Posted - 02/28/2012 :  4:58:45 PM  Show Profile  Visit aeastman's Homepage  Reply with Quote
In North Carolina, all state-owned buses made after 96 had them. Any 96 or before do not

I may be a Thomas fan, but I C the good in IC
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:

School Bus Fleet Magazine Forums © 2022 School Bus Fleet Magazine Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.17 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000