Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 9

98TomFord
Top Member

USA
812 Posts

Posted - 05/23/2004 :  7:13:00 PM  Show Profile  Visit 98TomFord's Homepage  Send 98TomFord an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Ted I can't beleive you'd scrap a Ford!! I would have left one just because of all the time and effort you put into those things. I'll shut it now.

My Ford Can Turn On $50, Can Your Int? ~Ford Buses - Gems To The Eyes~
Go to Top of Page

98TomFord
Top Member

USA
812 Posts

Posted - 05/25/2004 :  1:26:13 PM  Show Profile  Visit 98TomFord's Homepage  Send 98TomFord an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Ted, how do you get the bodies to be "perfectly" shaped? I must say that collection is just mouth dropping. Keep adding pics - you can have your own site if ya do - lol - "Ted's Creations" (.com) lol.

Go to Top of Page

Mitchell
Top Member

Canada
741 Posts

Posted - 05/25/2004 :  1:37:15 PM  Show Profile  Send Mitchell a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Lee,what do you use to make the grilles on your buses?It looks so real so I was wondering if you would take a picture of the bus and then glue the grill on? Or are you just a really good artist and draw them?Also one more question,where do you get the wheels for those buses?
Go to Top of Page

SuperiorGMC1963
Top Member

USA
1079 Posts

Posted - 05/25/2004 :  2:50:08 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by 98TomFord

Ted, how do you get the bodies to be "perfectly" shaped? I must say that collection is just mouth dropping. Keep adding pics - you can have your own site if ya do - lol - "Ted's Creations" (.com) lol.

Getting the right shape, or at least as close to right as I can get, has come from years of practice. Since 1978 I have used bus literature to help with details. The key to getting the right shape I think is making sure the rear end, especially the roof cap curve, is as correct as possible. I have templates made for each manufacturer of the rear end and front roof caps so each bus is consistant.

To shape the roof I have a long board with a curved edge which helps form the curve of the roof. Before I put the posterboard on the board I score the roof very lightly with an xacto knife horizontally. This helps the posterboard bend more easily. I use my thumb then to curve the roof over the board, going back and forth several times. There is also an interior roof or ceiling that goes thru the same process and a middle roof section that adds strength. Eventually I will post some pics of buses under construction. The sides and the roof are initially all one piece. The floor is separate and added after the sides are nearly complete.

The grills were originally hand drawn on older buses but are now photo copied on newer ones.

Ted

Go to Top of Page

GMCBlueBird83
Top Member

USA
1478 Posts

Posted - 05/26/2004 :  2:59:32 PM  Show Profile  Visit GMCBlueBird83's Homepage  Send GMCBlueBird83 an AOL message  Send GMCBlueBird83 a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by 2000freightlinercorbeil

Lee,what do you use to make the grilles on your buses?It looks so real so I was wondering if you would take a picture of the bus and then glue the grill on? Or are you just a really good artist and draw them?Also one more question,where do you get the wheels for those buses?

Mitch,
The grilles are the ones that come with the original buses except for the Blue Bird GMC which is just what you said, glued on. I took a pic off the internet of a GMC 6000 truck, adjusted the size and printed it on the laser printer at work. I then cut out a piece of poster board, glued the paper grille to that and then the entire unit onto the bus. As for drawing, I can't quite get it that good, LOL! Wish I could though.
The wheels are all stock. The Herpa Blue Bird wheels are darker than stock because I shaded them in with a marker for a more realistic look. The wheels on the Siku Thomas are just the stock wheels but painted yellow to match Florida state specs.
Go to Top of Page

Mitchell
Top Member

Canada
741 Posts

Posted - 05/26/2004 :  3:50:40 PM  Show Profile  Send Mitchell a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Ted,what do you use to make the grilles on your buses?It looks so real so I was wondering if you would take a picture of the bus and then glue the grill on? Or are you just a really good artist and draw them?Also one more question,where do you get the wheels for those buses?(I wanted to know about Lee's as well as yours)
Go to Top of Page

Jared
Top Member

USA
1865 Posts

Posted - 05/26/2004 :  5:55:18 PM  Show Profile  Visit Jared's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Ted,
Your work is down right amazing. When I was a kid, I would make cardboard models of buses, but none of which came close to your quality.

I was wondering, how detailed do you get with the interior / dash area etc etc? Are the doors operable? I hope you keep the pictures coming, I find your site of pics to be so inspiring.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/jaredg21/sets/
Go to Top of Page

SuperiorGMC1963
Top Member

USA
1079 Posts

Posted - 05/26/2004 :  9:28:45 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by 2000freightlinercorbeil

Ted,what do you use to make the grilles on your buses?It looks so real so I was wondering if you would take a picture of the bus and then glue the grill on? Or are you just a really good artist and draw them?Also one more question,where do you get the wheels for those buses?(I wanted to know about Lee's as well as yours)

On the older buses most of the grills are done by hand, drawing and cutting. In the past couple of years they have gotten a little more high tech. On the transits, Vision and the new CE and 3300 (pics coming soon) I basically find a good front end shot of the grill from a photo and photocopy it. The IC website has line art of all of their front ends so that helps alot. Anyway, I make copies of several grills, place them on a master and then photocopy them to a product called ReproFill (used by architects, can be found online) which is a clear adhesive backed sheet that comes in glossy or matte finish. I have used ReproFill for years and its what I use for decals, lettering, grills, etc. I only use it for black and white reproductions on a high quality copier, like at Staples or Office Max. It may work for color decals too on a high quality copier but I have never tried it.

Ted

Go to Top of Page

SuperiorGMC1963
Top Member

USA
1079 Posts

Posted - 05/26/2004 :  9:39:39 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Jared

Ted,
Your work is down right amazing. When I was a kid, I would make cardboard models of buses, but none of which came close to your quality.

I was wondering, how detailed do you get with the interior / dash area etc etc? Are the doors operable? I hope you keep the pictures coming, I find your site of pics to be so inspiring.

Jared,
Thanks for the compliments. The interiors are probably not as detailed as the exteriors since I'm not around school buses all that much. I make sure the interior colors and seats are accurate and the drivers area is laid out as it should be but I don't for instance have a detailed instrument panel. I don't have a very good camara but I will try to get some pics of an interior in progress.

Up until 1997 all of the doors opened on the buses (including lift doors and underfloor storage compartments) but these days only the entrance doors operate. I could make them so they all open but I'm just saving myself some time I guess.

Jared, you have no idea how tempted I am to make a Wayne with a current GMC hood! But I stay fairly conservative and just try to make what is actually available. But you never know......

Ted

Go to Top of Page

98TomFord
Top Member

USA
812 Posts

Posted - 05/27/2004 :  1:23:00 PM  Show Profile  Visit 98TomFord's Homepage  Send 98TomFord an AOL message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Jared, you have no idea how tempted I am to make a Wayne with a current GMC hood! But I stay fairly conservative and just try to make what is actually available. But you never know......

I think you should Ted. Who said you couldn't have non-real buses hehe. I'd go for the Freightliner/Wayne combo first though. I love your pictures - I honestly have to look at all of them everytime I look at the newly added ones. Nice to see your last Carpenter was a Frtlnr - lol. That's cool to hear the doors work. I was wondering that myself but didn't bother to ask. Awsome awsome Awsome models Ted!!

Go to Top of Page

SuperiorGMC1963
Top Member

USA
1079 Posts

Posted - 05/27/2004 :  8:01:37 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by 98TomFord

quote:

I think you should Ted. Who said you couldn't have non-real buses hehe. I'd go for the Freightliner/Wayne combo first though....

Like I said earlier, it is certainly tempting. I could even resurrect Superior, maybe update the body a bit. Put it on a 3300 chassis. Or a Freightliner/Wayne as you suggested. How about a Carpenter/GMC TopKick?

Ted

Go to Top of Page

GMCBlueBird83
Top Member

USA
1478 Posts

Posted - 05/28/2004 :  06:26:37 AM  Show Profile  Visit GMCBlueBird83's Homepage  Send GMCBlueBird83 an AOL message  Send GMCBlueBird83 a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Jared

Ted,

I second that! I still would like to attempt one myself, perhaps a 1983 Blue Bird GMC 6000
Ahh.... maybe when things are less hectic
Go to Top of Page

98TomFord
Top Member

USA
812 Posts

Posted - 05/29/2004 :  05:22:16 AM  Show Profile  Visit 98TomFord's Homepage  Send 98TomFord an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Ted that GMC/Chevy Carpenter sounds like a good one too. I surprised that combo was never made into a photoshop (winkwink to you people). I think the funnest one to build would be the Wayne/Freightliner. BUT....Being a Superior fan myself, your idea of "updating" the body ain't a bad idea either now. Just love your works Ted.

Go to Top of Page

BlueBird16
Top Member

USA
501 Posts

Posted - 06/29/2004 :  9:09:50 PM  Show Profile  Visit BlueBird16's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I just got my two new IC models. I am re-working some of the specs on this since it was put together so sloppy. I just put a white top on one of them and changed out the wheel kits to make it more accurate.
I will post pics on here when I get both of them lettered and numbered and completely finished.
Go to Top of Page

Chris
Top Member

USA
1013 Posts

Posted - 06/29/2004 :  9:29:01 PM  Show Profile  Visit Chris's Homepage  Send Chris an AOL message  Click to see Chris's MSN Messenger address  Send Chris a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Where did your models come from Jeff?

My Personal Fleet
1985 Ward Ford #1 Lexington Local - 1990 Wayne International NO.2 Walton-Verona - 1992 Ward Senator NO.4 Walton-Verona *SOLD*
Go to Top of Page

BlueBird16
Top Member

USA
501 Posts

Posted - 06/30/2004 :  06:15:32 AM  Show Profile  Visit BlueBird16's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Go to this web-site and you can order singles and click on the school bus icons.

www.wheelswings-things.com
Go to Top of Page

Chris
Top Member

USA
1013 Posts

Posted - 06/30/2004 :  07:43:31 AM  Show Profile  Visit Chris's Homepage  Send Chris an AOL message  Click to see Chris's MSN Messenger address  Send Chris a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Yeah, I knew they had them, It's nice to know they're getting shipped now. Yesterday I ordered four, and one of the GMC cabover ones.

My Personal Fleet
1985 Ward Ford #1 Lexington Local - 1990 Wayne International NO.2 Walton-Verona - 1992 Ward Senator NO.4 Walton-Verona *SOLD*
Go to Top of Page

Chris
Top Member

USA
1013 Posts

Posted - 07/02/2004 :  1:14:12 PM  Show Profile  Visit Chris's Homepage  Send Chris an AOL message  Click to see Chris's MSN Messenger address  Send Chris a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Does anyone know where to find the "Wayne International" models by Road Champs?
Thanks

My Personal Fleet
Go to Top of Page

92FrdCarp#11
Top Member

USA
1455 Posts

Posted - 07/02/2004 :  7:18:03 PM  Show Profile  Visit 92FrdCarp#11's Homepage  Send 92FrdCarp#11 an AOL message  Click to see 92FrdCarp#11's MSN Messenger address  Send 92FrdCarp#11 a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by BusMan06

Does anyone know where to find the "Wayne International" models by Road Champs?
Thanks

I wish I could find one of those.

Johnny

Go to Top of Page

BlueBird16
Top Member

USA
501 Posts

Posted - 07/15/2004 :  11:37:13 AM  Show Profile  Visit BlueBird16's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Hey Guys, I have sent Trina some pics of my other buses, Thomas Corbeil, etc. I hope she can get these on here soon for you guys to see. Trina, if those didn't come through your e-mails clearly I will re-send them.
Go to Top of Page

overbyja

USA
123 Posts

Posted - 03/21/2005 :  2:17:22 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hey guys and gals!! I have a few questions that hopefully someone can answer for me. I plan on customizing a couple of model buses. One is the Bluebird All American coin bank, and the other is the Con Cor/Herpa Bluebird HO model.

1) How can I take apart the bank without destroying it? There aren't any screws or anything holding together so I would assume it's constructed with some sort of adhesive.

2) What's the best way to remove black paint markings? I want to move the Bluebird logo back a bit and shorten the streamer (for Mich. specs), and I figure the easiest way to do this would be to remove the logos and put new decals in the appropriate spots.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!!!

Go to Top of Page

Chris
Top Member

USA
1013 Posts

Posted - 03/21/2005 :  2:22:04 PM  Show Profile  Visit Chris's Homepage  Send Chris an AOL message  Click to see Chris's MSN Messenger address  Send Chris a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
I can help you with the answer for the first question. The bottom of the bus is just held on by some glue. Just pull at the wheels and it should pop off. I learned that by filing mine up completely with change, to make them heavy so they would stop rolling around, and went to pick one up and it left the bottom behind...coins everywhere

My Personal Fleet
Go to Top of Page

SuperiorGMC1963
Top Member

USA
1079 Posts

Posted - 03/21/2005 :  8:03:21 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hey Jake! Good luck on your project!
Hopefully Jeff Flatt will read your post and respond. Jeff has customized dozens of those Blue Bird banks and he can probably give you lots of ideas.
Oh yeah, lest I forget, GO SPARTANS!

Ted
Go to Top of Page

SchoolBusFan
Top Member

USA
1769 Posts

Posted - 03/21/2005 :  9:29:01 PM  Show Profile  Visit SchoolBusFan's Homepage  Send SchoolBusFan an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Hi Jeff. I took a look at my 10 bus banks (yup, I bought them out, lol), and I think you'll have to put white roof on them or buy glossy yellow paint to cover over it. It looks bonded to the plastic. I hope you find a better way to take the black markings off the banks, and I'm sure they'll look GREAT once customized!! On mine, I took some clear address labels and labeled them with CCSD and correct bus numbers (898XX and 908XX). Good luck with them!!

Check out my new Yahoo group:
http://autos.groups.yahoo.com/group/ccsdschoolbuszone/

Edited by - SchoolBusFan on 03/21/2005 9:30:29 PM
Go to Top of Page

Jake
Top Member

USA
3527 Posts

Posted - 03/22/2005 :  12:29:33 PM  Show Profile  Visit Jake's Homepage  Reply with Quote
How can I add a district's name to the side of a BlueB. bank? (where can I get the lettering?)

-Jake
Go to Top of Page

SuperiorGMC1963
Top Member

USA
1079 Posts

Posted - 03/22/2005 :  2:20:59 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by 92WardSenatorFE

How can I add a district's name to the side of a BlueB. bank? (where can I get the lettering?)

-Jake

Again, hopefully Jeff will see these posts and respond. I've used a couple of different ways to get the lettering I want. One is a bit too complicated to explain. A new way that I've recently tried is to go to the link below. This is the exact Highway Gothic B style font that Blue Bird and IC currently uses. What you can do is type in the 'sample box'the exact wording for the side of your bus. Then print the page with the samples. Then you will need to make a master copy that you can use to photocopy your final lettering onto clear full sheet adhesive backed labels. An even better product that the clear labels (which you can find at Staples or Office Max) is ReproFilm. This is about a $1 a sheet and can be found at architect/drafting supply stores or online (do a search). If you go online you may have to buy a whole box but there should be a store in your town that sells copying supplies to architects and they will sell by the sheet. To make my final photocopies with the ReproFilm I take it to Staples. A home copier will not work with ReproFilm. The ReproFill clear (#420) is pretty much invisible once it's applied to the bus.

http://www.myfonts.com/fonts/pixymbols/highway-gothic/b/win-t1/129924/

Ted

Edited by - SuperiorGMC1963 on 03/22/2005 8:15:28 PM
Go to Top of Page

Cody
Top Member

United States
1630 Posts

Posted - 03/22/2005 :  2:39:02 PM  Show Profile  Visit Cody's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I got a few questions about these bus banks.

can you change the wheels on these? And if so, can someonce lead me to a site for some wheels that will fit this bus?

Also, when you mod these, do you just keep the windsheild tinted like the rest of the windows?

thanks,
cody
Go to Top of Page

overbyja

USA
123 Posts

Posted - 03/22/2005 :  5:54:55 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Ted, are you sure that stuff's called ReproFill? Because when I did a Google search on it, it only brought up 5 results, 4 German webpages, and then one of your posts on this forum.

Go to Top of Page

SuperiorGMC1963
Top Member

USA
1079 Posts

Posted - 03/22/2005 :  7:42:31 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by overbyja

Ted, are you sure that stuff's called ReproFill? Because when I did a Google search on it, it only brought up 5 results, 4 German webpages, and then one of your posts on this forum.

Hmmmmm... I just did a search too and could not find it either! I'm just going by memory but I'm sure that's what it was called. It's probably close to 2 years since I found it on the net. In Sept. of '03 I bought some at an architect supply store in Traverse City, MI. I'll keep searching!!
Go to Top of Page

SuperiorGMC1963
Top Member

USA
1079 Posts

Posted - 03/22/2005 :  8:11:48 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by SuperiorGMC1963

quote:

Hmmmmm... I just did a search too and could not find it either! I'm just going by memory but I'm sure that's what it was called. It's probably close to 2 years since I found it on the net. In Sept. of '03 I bought some at an architect supply store in Traverse City, MI. I'll keep searching!!

OK. I think I cleared the cobwebs from my brain. After a bit of a search I realized it's called ReproFilm...not ReproFill. Well, I was close. It's been a couple of years since I bought any. You should be able to find it at a drafting supply store near you!
Here's a link that explains a little about it and this is the type I use. I did find out that they have a ReproFilm now that can be used on InkJet printers. I should try that and see if it works as well as #420. At the drafting/architect supply store in northern Michigan where I buy it it is $1 per sheet.
http://www.gsdirect.net/scripts/silverware.exe/catalog@D:/dfs/elevclients/gsdirect/ELEVATOR.FXP?SEARCH_PICTURE=RAYVEN_REPRO418&SEARCH_TREE01=RAYVEN_REPRO418&SEARCH_TREE02=RAYVEN_REPRO418&SEARCH_TREE03=RAYVEN_REPRO418&SEARCH_FEATURED=CLEARANCE

Edited by - SuperiorGMC1963 on 03/22/2005 9:30:21 PM
Go to Top of Page

bluebirdfan
Advanced Member

USA
277 Posts

Posted - 03/22/2005 :  8:24:12 PM  Show Profile  Visit bluebirdfan's Homepage  Send bluebirdfan an AOL message  Send bluebirdfan a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
I have a fleet of about 12 Thomas Saf-T-Liner ER's and 1 1998 Carpenter Conventional
Go to Top of Page

Jake
Top Member

USA
3527 Posts

Posted - 03/23/2005 :  03:06:55 AM  Show Profile  Visit Jake's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I gotta fleet of about A B.B. bus bank, 2 1991' Road Champ IHC Waynes, I got a sunnyside 1980's IHC B.B., a ??? Thomas ER? (not from thoms dealer). Tghen all of those matchbox and hotwheels buses.

-Jake
btw: I'll gotto my local stapels

Yellow & Black
A new forum community dedicated to school bus driving, operations, maintenance and enthusiasts!
Come join the discussion!
Go to Top of Page

bluebirdfan
Advanced Member

USA
277 Posts

Posted - 03/23/2005 :  05:38:49 AM  Show Profile  Visit bluebirdfan's Homepage  Send bluebirdfan an AOL message  Send bluebirdfan a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
I forgot to add that I painted some of the tops on my Saf-T-Liner ER's white
Go to Top of Page

GMCBlueBird83
Top Member

USA
1478 Posts

Posted - 03/23/2005 :  06:12:31 AM  Show Profile  Visit GMCBlueBird83's Homepage  Send GMCBlueBird83 an AOL message  Send GMCBlueBird83 a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

2) What's the best way to remove black paint markings? I want to move the Bluebird logo back a bit and shorten the streamer (for Mich. specs), and I figure the easiest way to do this would be to remove the logos and put new decals in the appropriate spots.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!!!

For the HO scale Herpa Blue Birds I just scraped off the black markings with an Exacto knife. I removed the roof streamer and the rubrail "paint" to replicate a New York spec. I imagine this would work for the BB bank as well.
It worked fine but did leave the bus kinda scratched up. Then again the bus I was replicating was a 1980 model bus so in that case it was appropriate Maybe some fine sandpaper would complete the job.
Go to Top of Page

Jake
Top Member

USA
3527 Posts

Posted - 03/23/2005 :  2:30:51 PM  Show Profile  Visit Jake's Homepage  Reply with Quote
How can I make the black KY strip on a B.B. bus bank? Can I get letters in a smaller size? Can I get a hobby shop to make a blue bird logo? And lastly, where can I get a hepra blue bird in Louisville, KY?

The proud bus person,
Jake

Yellow & Black
A new forum community dedicated to school bus driving, operations, maintenance and enthusiasts!
Come join the discussion!
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 9 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:

School Bus Fleet Magazine Forums © 2022 School Bus Fleet Magazine Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.27 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000