Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 6

SchoolBusFan
Top Member

USA
1769 Posts

Posted - 12/29/2003 :  02:55:50 AM  Show Profile  Visit SchoolBusFan's Homepage  Send SchoolBusFan an AOL message  Reply with Quote
We all might have to send about 4 e-mails at the same time.

Check out my new Yahoo group:
http://autos.groups.yahoo.com/group/ccsdschoolbuszone/
Go to Top of Page

chevybluebird

USA
66 Posts

Posted - 12/29/2003 :  6:48:17 PM  Show Profile  Send chevybluebird an AOL message  Reply with Quote
That would be a great idea and i will if everyone else does.

Blue bird rules!!!!!!!!!!
Go to Top of Page

92FrdCarp#11
Top Member

USA
1455 Posts

Posted - 12/30/2003 :  7:37:43 PM  Show Profile  Visit 92FrdCarp#11's Homepage  Send 92FrdCarp#11 an AOL message  Click to see 92FrdCarp#11's MSN Messenger address  Send 92FrdCarp#11 a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
I emailed valu-soft last night about a school bus simulator. They haven'e emailed me back.

Johnny

Go to Top of Page

Chris
Top Member

USA
1013 Posts

Posted - 12/31/2003 :  09:41:29 AM  Show Profile  Visit Chris's Homepage  Send Chris an AOL message  Click to see Chris's MSN Messenger address  Send Chris a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
I would say there would need to be more than four of us...maybe everybody lol

My Personal Fleet
1985 Ward Ford #1 Lexington Local - 1990 Wayne International NO.2 Walton-Verona - 1992 Ward Senator NO.4 Walton-Verona *SOLD*
Go to Top of Page

sesalesman

USA
118 Posts

Posted - 01/02/2004 :  08:13:35 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Well, if that ever happens let me know. I will join the cause.
Go to Top of Page

92FrdCarp#11
Top Member

USA
1455 Posts

Posted - 01/02/2004 :  3:51:51 PM  Show Profile  Visit 92FrdCarp#11's Homepage  Send 92FrdCarp#11 an AOL message  Click to see 92FrdCarp#11's MSN Messenger address  Send 92FrdCarp#11 a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by sesalesman

Well, if that ever happens let me know. I will join the cause.

Same here.

Johnny

Go to Top of Page

chevybluebird

USA
66 Posts

Posted - 01/02/2004 :  4:25:55 PM  Show Profile  Send chevybluebird an AOL message  Reply with Quote
I got a responce from them but it was just that they were forwarding to another division.

Blue bird rules!!!!!!!!!!
Go to Top of Page

Chris
Top Member

USA
1013 Posts

Posted - 01/02/2004 :  6:24:51 PM  Show Profile  Visit Chris's Homepage  Send Chris an AOL message  Click to see Chris's MSN Messenger address  Send Chris a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Well, thats better than nothing, let us know if anything else comes.

My Personal Fleet
1985 Ward Ford #1 Lexington Local - 1990 Wayne International NO.2 Walton-Verona - 1992 Ward Senator NO.4 Walton-Verona *SOLD*
Go to Top of Page

1983WardFord
Top Member

USA
1395 Posts

Posted - 01/03/2004 :  08:07:01 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I just picked up a game a while back called Traffic Giant. The object of the game is to set up a public transit system around a city. The game was made in Austria, so there aren't any american city buses, but it's still a really cool game. If anyone wants to e-mail this company about a school bus game, their e-mail is jowood@jowood.com and their website is www.jowood.com or www.trafficgiant.com

Due to the current economic condition, the light at the end of the tunnel has been turned off until further notice.
Go to Top of Page

Chris
Top Member

USA
1013 Posts

Posted - 01/03/2004 :  08:28:10 AM  Show Profile  Visit Chris's Homepage  Send Chris an AOL message  Click to see Chris's MSN Messenger address  Send Chris a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Isnt that game where you control a fleet of buses? or somthing, I read about it. I think we're looking for more of a driving simulator, where you actually are inside a bus driving it around a city, and picking up kids.

My Personal Fleet
Go to Top of Page

98TomFord
Top Member

USA
812 Posts

Posted - 01/03/2004 :  3:53:00 PM  Show Profile  Visit 98TomFord's Homepage  Send 98TomFord an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Looks like an awsome game Ryan - where did you find it?

~Mike~

My Ford Can Turn On $50, Can Your Int? ~Ford Buses - Gems To The Eyes~
Go to Top of Page

Chris
Top Member

USA
1013 Posts

Posted - 01/04/2004 :  11:06:01 AM  Show Profile  Visit Chris's Homepage  Send Chris an AOL message  Click to see Chris's MSN Messenger address  Send Chris a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by 98TomFord

Looks like an awsome game Ryan - where did you find it?

~Mike~

It's on Ebay now for around 9 dollars. http://search.ebay.com/search/search.dll?cgiurl=http%3A%2F%2Fcgi.ebay.com%2Fws%2F&krd=1&from=R8&MfcISAPICommand=GetResult&ht=1&SortProperty=MetaEndSort&query=traffic+giant

My Personal Fleet
Go to Top of Page

txstreetman

USA
29 Posts

Posted - 01/05/2004 :  12:11:28 AM  Show Profile  Visit txstreetman's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Back to the MM2 vehicles-I have always wanted 2 bluebirds for the mm2 game-1988 BB International S-Series and a 1991 BB International 3800 series, but both have to have DT466 engines in them. I would supply sounds of the engines and possibly prototype pix as well.. Also, a quick note to 98TomFord--the word 'Houston' is misspelled in your little quote. Houston has no "i" in it.. I wasn't sure if you were aware of it.. If anyone decides to make the two vehicles I want, email me at txstreetman@hotmail.com..
-Jon

-Jon

1987 Thomas International DTA360 5 Speed w/ 4 speed aux, air brakes
Go to Top of Page

Chris
Top Member

USA
1013 Posts

Posted - 01/05/2004 :  12:31:30 PM  Show Profile  Visit Chris's Homepage  Send Chris an AOL message  Click to see Chris's MSN Messenger address  Send Chris a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
you could try to make them yourself, the program that is used is called ZModeler, it can be downloaded free at www.zmodeler.com , good luck if you try.

My Personal Fleet
Go to Top of Page

oldjoeclark

3 Posts

Posted - 01/05/2004 :  3:00:40 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I suprisingly got an email back from valusoft he said ::

How would this game work? Do you run a school bus company? Did you to hear your thoughts?

-Scott Zerby

hmm i guess i will write back

did he reply to any one else !!!
Go to Top of Page

Chris
Top Member

USA
1013 Posts

Posted - 01/05/2004 :  3:23:07 PM  Show Profile  Visit Chris's Homepage  Send Chris an AOL message  Click to see Chris's MSN Messenger address  Send Chris a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
It might be a good idea to send them a link to this forum thread, we have put a lot of suggestions in. Thats great that they emailed you back!

My Personal Fleet
Go to Top of Page

Chris
Top Member

USA
1013 Posts

Posted - 01/05/2004 :  4:10:52 PM  Show Profile  Visit Chris's Homepage  Send Chris an AOL message  Click to see Chris's MSN Messenger address  Send Chris a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
For anyone who hasnt seen, here are the MM2 school buses that are available at this time:

My Personal Fleet
Go to Top of Page

1983WardFord
Top Member

USA
1395 Posts

Posted - 01/05/2004 :  5:50:10 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by BusMan06

Isnt that game where you control a fleet of buses? or somthing, I read about it. I think we're looking for more of a driving simulator, where you actually are inside a bus driving it around a city, and picking up kids.

Well, it was just a thought anyway. I realize you're not actually driving the buses, but it's something.

98TomFord, I found this game at the grocery store where i work, for under $6. It's a lot of fun to play.

Due to the current economic condition, the light at the end of the tunnel has been turned off until further notice.
Go to Top of Page

98TomFord
Top Member

USA
812 Posts

Posted - 01/08/2004 :  05:24:45 AM  Show Profile  Visit 98TomFord's Homepage  Send 98TomFord an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Thanks JJ - I never noticed that before.

Go to Top of Page

Jared
Top Member

USA
1865 Posts

Posted - 01/08/2004 :  08:36:28 AM  Show Profile  Visit Jared's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I really think we should push for a "Bus-Tycoon" type of game. Maybe you can operate a fleet and drive, however I would NOT restrict this game just to school buses. Their is no way that the market would keep a game with just school buses on the market unless their was some sort of violence or something. I love the idea, I just think we should approach these software companies with a reasonable idea rather than an extremely niche one.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/jaredg21/sets/
Go to Top of Page

KZeni

USA
4 Posts

Posted - 01/08/2004 :  3:42:01 PM  Show Profile  Visit KZeni's Homepage  Send KZeni an AOL message  Click to see KZeni's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Hey, I'm a 3d modeller. I want to make a bus for the Midtown Madness series. And yes, i'm experienced. I can export your bus for MM2 if anyone has made one.
I need some good textures for a newer International bus. E-mail me if you have some.

http://www.benfolds.com Ben Folds > Sliced Bread
Go to Top of Page

KZeni

USA
4 Posts

Posted - 01/08/2004 :  3:43:09 PM  Show Profile  Visit KZeni's Homepage  Send KZeni an AOL message  Click to see KZeni's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Hey, I'm a 3d modeller. I want to make a bus for the Midtown Madness series. And yes, i'm experienced. I can export your bus for MM2 if anyone has made one.
I need some good textures for a newer International bus. E-mail me if you have some.

Go to Top of Page

KZeni

USA
4 Posts

Posted - 01/08/2004 :  3:46:37 PM  Show Profile  Visit KZeni's Homepage  Send KZeni an AOL message  Click to see KZeni's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Sorry, forum was giving me an error so I tried twice to post and found out that it posted twice. Also noticed that there is no delete button. Bah.

Go to Top of Page

Silas J.
Top Member

USA
938 Posts

Posted - 01/08/2004 :  4:20:41 PM  Show Profile  Send Silas J. an AOL message  Send Silas J. an ICQ Message  Click to see Silas J.'s MSN Messenger address  Send Silas J. a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Hey, I've seen you on MM2C. Prop town. Welcome to SBF.

Go to Top of Page

YardBird
Advanced Member

USA
427 Posts

Posted - 01/08/2004 :  4:25:34 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by BusMan06

you could try to make them yourself

Hi! New guy here (17 yr veteran driver)
I'm a 3d modeler and I have the means to convert file formats to lmost any other format for use in different video games.
I'm currently working on vehicles for the Carmageddon series.
I've always wanted to make stuff for a school bus simulator!

I've always thought that if the public could see what it takes to drive a bus safely under all kinds of weather, traffic, terrain and environmental conditions-maybe they would think before scooting past those flashing red lights next time.
I've had this idea kickin' around for quite some time now (well, since I started driving school buses back in '86).
If I was going to design a school bus based game-I'd make it a lot like the real job is-only even more challenging.
I mean, if yer gonna make a simulator-why not make it as realistic as possible?
OK, there has to be an object to the game- I'd think it should be the object of THE JOB. Yes? Pick up and transport/drop off all the kids safely at their destinations.
But that is gonna get lame real quick as far as the public's concerned.
Most folks say that they couldn't do my job anyway.
So then ya'd hafta make the game a lil' more interesting.

Add realistic bus physics-power to weight/load, suspension bounce/roll/sway, air brake lag, crosswind drift,oversteer/understeer on ice, etc... add weather.. (could you imagine the average gamer suddenly sitting in the driver's seat, seven feet off the ground looking out that big winshield and then up at a "overhead mirror" showing rows of seats filled to capacity? In a rainstorm with fogged windows? At the top of a steep hill in a snowstorm? In really heavy city traffic? Or at a triple at-grade railroad crossing in that traffic?

Now that could get interesting.

You'd have to follow proper procedures...There could be a (simplified somewhat-not EVERYBODY can do what we do) "Training" level with, say, the Static Course and a brief breakdown of proper pickup and dropoff/rairoad crossing procedures-graduate from that, Get your CDL B and ya can drive the big yella thang on the road-then it should get REAL interesting.

Add stuff like people weaving and braking suddenly in front of you while talking on the cell phone. Narrow, winding roads with stuff like AI controlled dump trucks coming the other way, or obstacles to dodge, like pedestrians (walking dogs, no less), joggers, etc.
Potholes-Gotta have potholes...big enough to cause radio dead zones.
Deer running across your path...
All kinds of good stuff like that-all the while maintaining a safe speed, following the proper procedure (credits lost from your "paycheck" for goof-ups, like forgetting to set the parking brake
when picking up/dropping off-but safely boarding/disembarking the child anyway?-Bigger losses for, say...unloading a student into a construction hole on the roadside because you weren't looking where you stopped and you KNOW the student isn't going to...heheh..)
Credits lost for stomping on the brakes to get kids to sit down...
Stuff like that.
You oughtta also get to upgrade your equipment..
Say you start out where most rookies started out-on a beat-up '79 gas engined IH with a 5 speed gearbox (watch ya knuckles on the door handle goin' for 5th gear)and ya can upgrade stuff like engine/transmission combos-different brake setups, amenities like air doors, air ride seat,(yes, the view from that seat should bounce like the real thing does.), stereo, etc.
or earn enough credits and buy an entirely new bus-with all the goodies you can afford.
You complete all the "missions" or levels and you get paid well/end up with a real neat custom bus and become a legend, respected by all as a professional, veteran "Knight of the Road" and retire to Florida or something.
Lose/crash/or otherwise and get fired, jailed and generally regarded by the AI "drivers" as a failure-not cut out for the job, etc.

Well, that'd be my idea of a school bus simulator, anyways.
Ya'd just have to find a code guru and an AI to license/mod.

I can model and skin (fairly detailed) low-poly stuff (most game engines have a hard time with high-poly models and large/complicated texture-mapping.) The BRender AI I'm currently working with can handle fairly complicated models up to and slightly above 10000 polys-that's basically equivalent to detailing down to the bolt-heads on the engine or ALL those mirror brackets and door handles in addition to the actual vehicle shell.
I use CarEd, ZModeler, 3ds Max 3 and have a working knowledge of how to compile vehicles for several game engines. I can also take very hi-quality pictures of every angle of the vehicles where I work and from some adjacent yards. We got '03 Thomas/Freightliners and Ford Micro Bird minis.
The yard near where I live has Blubird TC2000s and similar cabovers-mid engined and pushers. You need pics? Gimme a place to up them to and I'd be happy to oblige.

Jeez...I guess I write a bitty bit, dont I?
Let me know if my ideas sound any good, will ya? If ya don't like 'em-lemme know that too and then I'll shaddap. :D
Can ya tell I'm a lifer? They'll prolly bury me in Bus #1...

Have a good one y'all. Keep the shiny side up ;)

Sure! I'll pick your kid up closer to the house... Widen your front door!

"I LOOOOOVE MY UNION!"
Go to Top of Page

Chris
Top Member

USA
1013 Posts

Posted - 01/08/2004 :  5:04:57 PM  Show Profile  Visit Chris's Homepage  Send Chris an AOL message  Click to see Chris's MSN Messenger address  Send Chris a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Wow...that sounds like the perfect simulator! If you have created any buses we should look into putting them onto MM2, do you have that game?

My Personal Fleet

Edited by - Chris on 01/08/2004 5:07:01 PM
Go to Top of Page

oldjoeclark

3 Posts

Posted - 01/08/2004 :  6:58:34 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
That would be great just what i've been looking for it would be the perfect game !!!!!
Go to Top of Page

Mitchell
Top Member

Canada
741 Posts

Posted - 01/09/2004 :  2:20:49 PM  Show Profile  Send Mitchell a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
you can email the pix to me and ill post them up here.ok yardbird?
Go to Top of Page

YardBird
Advanced Member

USA
427 Posts

Posted - 01/09/2004 :  3:44:49 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by 2000freightlinercorbeil

you can email the pix to me and ill post them up here.ok yardbird?

ATM, I just have the models built and skinned for C2. I don't have MM2-just MM1 and the models for that game are pretty simple anyway-mostly just shells.
The Carma-freaks wanted some buses to trash in their games so I built 'em a 1997 Thomas/IH conventional, a 1993 Bluebird TC2000 and an '03 Thomas Freightliner.
These are detailed models with interiors and fairly detailed engines-you guys'd hafta strip out most of the detail to run the shells in MM.

Soon as I find 'em and un 'em thru CarEd-I'll post 'em here.

"I LOOOOOVE MY UNION!"
Go to Top of Page

Mitchell
Top Member

Canada
741 Posts

Posted - 01/09/2004 :  3:49:39 PM  Show Profile  Send Mitchell a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
let us know when u finish it
Go to Top of Page

Chris
Top Member

USA
1013 Posts

Posted - 01/09/2004 :  4:10:28 PM  Show Profile  Visit Chris's Homepage  Send Chris an AOL message  Click to see Chris's MSN Messenger address  Send Chris a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
What game was the 1997 Thomas conventional, 1993 Bluebird TC2000 and '03 Thomas Freightliner designed for?

My Personal Fleet
Go to Top of Page

98TomFord
Top Member

USA
812 Posts

Posted - 01/09/2004 :  5:06:05 PM  Show Profile  Visit 98TomFord's Homepage  Send 98TomFord an AOL message  Reply with Quote
YardBird - that IS the simulator we are all looking for! You (as far as I could think of tonight - lol) went through every detail that makes this industry such a challenge & I honestly think the public might actually get into this game, one thing though, I would also add like city transit routes for those who hate school buses yet wana try the game. And those city buses can have the same objectives and everything the school buses do, just "cit-i-tized". (not a word, but I'm tired and don't care at the moment, it sounds good though - lol) Great job on hitting the nail fermly! You deffently gave us all a thing to go off of and really bug those gaming companies now - haha. Awsome job again - really want to hear more ideas if ya have anymore!

Edited by - 98TomFord on 01/09/2004 5:08:40 PM
Go to Top of Page

YardBird
Advanced Member

USA
427 Posts

Posted - 01/10/2004 :  08:57:03 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
BusMan06-the game was Carmageddon 2. I'm an avid C2 fan because all day long I have to follow all the rules and be safe and courteous and professional no matter what kind of morons I come up against on the road.
SOOOooooo..When I get home I can fire up Carma 2 and jump in my Freightliner (which looks just like my real one does 'cause I skinned it with photos of the real one) or my '68 GMC "S'Cool Bus" (Funny car style bus with a hinged body and two blown small block 400's on a rail dragster frame) and just raise holy heck on the streets of Carmageddon-no rules-no consequences. Makes for a great way to take out my frustrations without doing any actual harm. Good way to "unload" after a rough day. :)

98TomFord-The Transit idea could just be another "mode" the gsme works in. The AI would only have to use a different model and "cruise" mode. (No AI "opponents" or objectives except driving. This is where a realistic physics engine would come in handy.)

To make something like this-first of all, we would need a programmer who understands exactly how each game engine works and how to code it for what we'd need.
The game project I am modeling for on the CWA Forums is still in development but as I understand it-the lead programmer had come up wih his own AI that pretty much blew away the BRender physics of Carmageddon (which were pretty awesome).
We don't have any "connections" in the industry or really any idea how we're gonna get the game out there-we're just a buncha guys who love cars and for whom driving is pretty much like a religion.

There are a couple options that I know of-you guys that are gamers already know this:

We could find a programmer and convince him that this game might make money (maybe hard to do-maybe not-game companies have made some pretty lame games and still made a profit off them).

We could license a game engine to modify/make stuff for (very expensive) and we'd still have to rely on the code guru and volunteers from the community that have the skills to model/write code (I can model, but assembly code is way beyond me-I only know what I've managed to grasp in my spare time.)Then all we'd hafta do is find a publisher that would be interested in marketing it. Another hard sell because kids are the market pretty much-and they want violence and gore and very fast paced adrenaline-rush stuff-which while the simulator concept would be challenging from a professional driver's point of view-it might not sell to the masses-but, hey- the Russian game "Hard Truck" sold pretty well and the object of that one is pretty stoic-Start with an empty box truck/load truck/drive truck over nasty terrain very fast, racing against other AI drivers who are trying to get their loads (undamaged) to the destination before you do.
So maybe there's a chance we could get someone at a game dev. company to listen.

We'd have to present a fully working concept of how the game would work-(plot/objective/goodies, etc. and it wouldn't hurt to have a working demo.) THIS is the hard part-any coders here?

Hey-if Rockstar games can make a mint on a game based on a riot in the streets-maybe we would have one as well with a game that's a little more "educational".

There are truck driving simulators for folks who have never gotten behind the wheel of a tractor-trailer, Harley licenses motorcycle simulators using their brand name and bike styles for folks who either are too afraid to get up on 2 wheels or just plain can't afford a Harley, Exotic car manufacturers license their trademarks to games where you race their cars on tracks or in rallys. They sell well enough.

Why NOT a school bus simulator? I'd buy it-but then I'm biased towards school buses anyways ;)

I think if the guys at Running With Scissors can make a fortune on "Postal"-we can get a sim out there.

Making money is just a fringe benefit-I just want to see a school bus simulator out there-even if it's a freeware game.

Methinks it's about time that everybody else out there was able to get a clue as to what the school bus driver can be faced with day to day just on the road-heck-just to get LICENSED.

Most folks don't really know what a professional driver has to go through to get qualified and to KEEP that qualifcation-nevermind the training and skills required to turn your back on 60-odd unpredictable kids and pilot a huge "truck" down any kind of road in any kind of weather under any kind of circumstances-AND DO IT EVEN MORE SAFELY THAN ANY OF THEM USUALLY DO.

You drivers know what I'm talking about. When we do something good and right-nobody remembers because we're good at it and we do it every day no matter what, year after year-it just "happens" and people take it for granted sometimes because we do it well. When we do something wrong-nobody forgets it-it's the nature of the job. We're high-profile out there.

I think a sim would give the average person a better idea of what it takes to be a pro driver-plus it'd give the future drivers yet to be something to look forward to ;)

I'd be willing to model and skin vehicles for the game-(school vacations, etc. when I don't have to drive).

We'd just need to either find a coder or at least make an outline of what the sim is in all it's detail and present it to a video game developer and see if they like the idea.

I know a few trainers who'd get a kick out of it. :D

"I LOOOOOVE MY UNION!"

Edited by - YardBird on 01/10/2004 09:02:53 AM
Go to Top of Page

Chris
Top Member

USA
1013 Posts

Posted - 01/10/2004 :  09:08:25 AM  Show Profile  Visit Chris's Homepage  Send Chris an AOL message  Click to see Chris's MSN Messenger address  Send Chris a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Do you have any pictures of the buses you have created for Carmageddon 2 that could be posted here? Or are there any on a web site?

My Personal Fleet
Go to Top of Page

YardBird
Advanced Member

USA
427 Posts

Posted - 01/10/2004 :  09:31:28 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
BusMan06- Yes I do-I have to find them as it was some time ago that I made them. I've got them on CD somewheres...
Soon as I can locate them I'll put 'em up here.

"I LOOOOOVE MY UNION!"
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 6 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:

School Bus Fleet Magazine Forums © 2022 School Bus Fleet Magazine Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.23 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000